Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I run an enterprise software consulting firm.

We had one occasion where Oracle "screwed up" where the file system didn't. This is why backups are so important with databases. A database may loose its integrity and become unusable whereas a filesystem is able to degrade file by file.
Ever had an occasion where a hard drive screwed up/crashed/became unreadable? If the answer to that is "yes", then my next question is "And the difference is.....?"

More food for thought: why is it that with the exception of Seagate, most HD's have only a one year warranty on them? And the only thing that is covered by that warranty is the physical drive - not the cost of data recovery for any data stored on that drive? Given that, what's of greater concern: a possible RDBMS corruption/failure, or the loss of the entire drive? From where I stand, I am far more concerned with having an effective HD fault tolerant/backup plan in effect - which at the same time, incidentally, deals with guarding against loss/corruption of either the database or my image files.

I have never said any software (or storage) solution is 100% fail proof. I doubt we will see anything like that in my lifetime (or anyone else's here, I imagine). That's why we back up and/or have fault tolerant schemes like RAID in place, whether it is to protect a simple file folder heirarchical arrangement or a RDBMS. If you don't back up - either way - the odds are that at some point in your lifetime you are going to lose or corrupt most of your data, whether that data is images or an extensive collection of recipes and geneological data.

QuoteQuote:
In practice, however and as it was pointed out, one has to rely on a particular imaging system and its database.

E.g., ThumbsPlus is able to use any SQL database and uses MS Access by default.
Thanks for that; it's worth a look.

However, I'd rather leave the image post processing to purpose driven software, just as I'd prefer to leave the organization/retrieval to software written specifically for that purpose. When something tries to do every conceivable task well, usually it ends up doing a mediocre job of everything.

05-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I do have real concerns about the viability of DVD's [...] and other technologies through the years
You have a very valid point here.

For a certain period of time it is certainly possible to preserve by "copy to new media". But in the long run?

Let's hope that a carrier with better durability pops up in the future. For now, it seems that Blu-Ray has an edge (specified for 30 years, I believe -- so I'm glad it's not HD-DVD now).
05-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #48
Veteran Member

This is pretty much exactly what I do, except my directory name is the date of the first image in the directory. I also use SyncBack to copy the directories to a network drive, on a regular basis. The current directory (the directory that I'm putting my new pictures in) is copied daily.

another vote for Imatch.

QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
I started out with folders and the like also, but luckily I stumbled upon an image management program when i only had 5000 or so images to categorise.
Do yourself a favour and use some management program. It increases the value of your images enormously imo.
Just being able to view ALL images of your kid(s), pet(s) etc together is worth the little time it takes to tag your images.
I use filename YYYYMMDD_HHMM_####.ext. I dump all new images in one dir, untill it reaches DVD size. Then I create a new dir. (Main01, Main02 etc)
Edits go into Sub01, Sub02 etc. Makes for easy backup on DVD's.

My program of choice is IMatch, with it's unique hierarchical category structure.