Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #1

RAW button Selections

I'm confused with the RAW button settings. I understand that if I have it set to JPG -- RAW the camera will shoot a RAW photo and then return to JPG photo for the next shot when the button is depressed. However, and this is where the confusion is, there are 3 listings where this is set. Why is there 3 listings instead of just one?

04-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi Steve823

As I understand matters, you can either set up the K10D/K20D to shoot either a) JPEG b) RAW or c) RAW+JPEG. However, I believe the intention of the RAW button was primarily aimed at photographers who mainly shoot JPEG but occasionally need to shoot a RAW image, without the hassle of delving into tiresome menu button-pushing routines. If I have misunderstood your question, please explain your query in greater detail ?

Best regards
Richard
04-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Took me a while to figure this out when I got the camera

What confused me originally was that I thought the camera in this menu already knew what I had set up as my default file format. so I toggled the first set for JPEG > RAW. But I was shooting in RAW and when I'd press the button, I only got RAW+

Then I realized that the list stays the same regardless of what mode you are in and so you have to select the correct one on the left based on what mode you have your camera set to.

The list on the left is one of the three possible settings you could have chosen as your main recording file format. the three options you get after that is what you want the camera to do once you hit the button.

Only one of the three options on the left will apply to you (based on what you have set up as your default file format) and that is the only one to configure. The other two are superfluous at the moment until or unless you change your default file format.

so if you set up your default recording mode to JPEG, then if you select the top option and then right arrow, three options will be in a pop up menu. JPEG (which doesn't make any sense, since it already is in JPEG) then RAW (so if you hit the RAW button while in JPEG mode, you can capture this next image as RAW, not JPEG) then the third option is RAW+ (so if you hit the RAW button while in JPEG mode, you can capture this next image as both RAW and JPEG, not JPEG only)

I shoot RAW, so the second set applies to me, and I have the resulting pop up option set to JPEG. Then when I hit the RAW button the next image will be a JPEG, not a RAW.

Then at the very top, you can tell the camera whether to leave it in this mode until you hit the button again to change it back, or if it is just a one time deal, changing back to your default after that next and only shot.
04-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi augustmoon

Phew.....I think I need to lie down in a darkened room after reading all of that explanation ! Or maybe I should just take up basket-weaving instead ??

Best regards
Richard

04-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
Whew! Me too. Let me see if I got this straight. If I have the camera set to shoot JPG and ONE of those 3 options listed is "JPG -- RAW", whether it on the first line, second line or third line, that is the option that will prevail and I will get a RAW shot when pressing the RAW Button?
If this is correct, great. I think augustmoon has figured it out and once you look at it that way it makes a lot of sense. It is just poorly referenced in the manual.

Thanks once again augustmoon.
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi again

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
It is just poorly referenced in the manual.
Ain't THAT the truth......find me an instruction manual written in plain comprehendable language and I'll be a Dutchman....lol !

Best regards
Richard
04-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve823 Quote
Whew! Me too. Let me see if I got this straight. If I have the camera set to shoot JPG and ONE of those 3 options listed is "JPG -- RAW", whether it on the first line, second line or third line, that is the option that will prevail and I will get a RAW shot when pressing the RAW Button?
If this is correct, great. I think augustmoon has figured it out and once you look at it that way it makes a lot of sense. It is just poorly referenced in the manual.

Thanks once again augustmoon.
yes, if you have the camera set to JPEG, then you have to use the line that has JPEG (your camera setting) on the left. The left side has to correspond with your camera setting. Then the right hand side is selectable to what you want the button to do.

No, the manual kinda glosses over a lot of these settings for some reason (and the interface for this menu function especially). I used to write instruction manuals 20+ years ago... The editors hated me because I turned out these 300 page manuals while the competing products had these 20 page booklets!

I'm afraid I'm still afflicted with that tendency.