Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I have a K-5, K200D and a K20D...would the K-01 produce better IQ higher than any of my existing cameras?
K-5 and K-01 have the same sensor, hence same resolution and outstanding IQ.

For those that actuall have a K-01, how portable do you really find it? It doesn't look very small..
The K-01 is definitely smaller. I have the K-01, K-7 and K-3. The K-7 and K-3 have the same size as K-5. The K-01 is more compact and it can fit in a much smaller bag and in my coat pocket with a pancake lens. But it is larger than the Q, Q7 and Q10.

05-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #17

In looking again at the comparison between the X100s and the GR, from what I am reading the GR has a sharper lens and better IQ.
While the GR does not have a viewfinder, better image quality and a considerably less price tag has me leaning towards the GR at this point. It is also a very portable size.
I'm having a similar dilemma deciding what would be best for a trip to south america, and I narrowed down my selection to both as well.

Both cameras look fantastic on paper.

The main things I needed that both cameras provide are (and that you probably know):
  • Great image quality
  • Inconspicuous (X100S in the black version, or the GR which is all round inconspicuous)
  • APS-C sized sensors
  • 35mm equivalent (or round abouts)
  • Leaf shutters

The differences that mattered to me were:

X100S (Black):
  • Achieves fastest shutter speed at a lower aperture
  • X-trans sensor
  • Optical hybrid VF
  • Faster AF (especially when comparing shots in lowlight)
  • Looks stylish

GR:
  • Price! Sweet jebus, this camera is awesome value
  • You blend in with this camera
  • Allows you to set a distance and adjusts the lens to focus to that
  • Pocketable

So for me ultimately it was the faster AF, optical VF and X-Trans sensor that sold me on the X100S (on paper at least), but the price of the GR can't be beat so also a great option. The GR is around half the price of a X100S here in Sydney.

My plan is to get the X100S and try it out for a bit. If it's not my piece of cake then I can always resell it since it shouldn't lose much value, and then get GR to play around with.

Last edited by walgarch; 05-25-2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: My spelling is horrible
05-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by walgarch Quote
I'm having a similar dilemma deciding what would be best for a trip to south america, and I narrowed down my selection to both as well.

Both cameras look fantastic on paper.

The main things I needed that both cameras provide are (and that you probably know):
  • Great image quality
  • Inconspicuous (X100S in the black version, or the GR which is all round inconspicuous)
  • APS-C sized sensors
  • 35mm equivalent (or round abouts)
  • Leaf shutters

The differences that mattered to me were:

X100S (Black):
  • Achieves fastest shutter speed at a lower aperture
  • X-trans sensor
  • Optical hybrid VF
  • Faster AF (especially when comparing shots in lowlight)
  • Looks stylish

GR:
  • Price! Sweet jebus, this camera is awesome value
  • You blend in with this camera
  • Allows you to set a distance and adjusts the lens to focus to that
  • Pocketable

So for me ultimately it was the faster AF, optical VF and X-Trans sensor that sold me on the X100S (on paper at least), but the price of the GR can't be beat so also a great option. The GR is around half the price of a X100S here in Sydney.

My plan is to get the X100S and try it out for a bit. If it's not my piece of cake then I can always resell it since it shouldn't lose much value, and then get GR to play around with.
Will, I hope that the X100S won't be the only camera that you plan on taking to South America....I don't know what gear you have but certainly I would take a full sized DSLR and at least a couple of different lenses...you can use the X100S as a great walk around camera...

Looking at the specs and all the reviews, both cameras seem amazing however I opted for the GR and ordered it last night from Amazon for $680.00. Amazon has an easy return policy if it's not the right camera for me but I'm being optimistic that I'll like it.
What sold me was the fact that it's so inconspicuous and stealth and it fits in your pocket. I prefer the wider 28mm perspective over the 35mm of the X100S. From reading all the reviews, the lens seems to be tack sharp and I really think I'm going to like the "Snap" mode feature. It also doesn't hurt that the GR is about half the cost of the X100S. I honestly couldn't justify spending twice as much on the X100S.
I'll see if I can get used to not having a viewfinder but Ricoh does offer a snap on optional viewfinder in addition to a 21mm super-wide lens attachment which is also supposed to be incredibly sharp.
I'll post some photos and my review once I receive the camera.
05-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter

The OP made his choice (Congratulations and good luck!) But I'll post this for anyone else who may need it:

The K-01 is a fine second camera to a DSLR. Image quality is right there with the K-5 family and the K-50/K-30. But it's not exactly tiny. With the 40mm XS or Limited attached, you might be able to get it into a sizeable jacket or (more likely) coat pocket. Otherwise, you'll have to carry it around in a bag or with a strap around your neck. Which is fine and not an issue for many of us. I do find the lack of a viewfinder to be a bit of an issue in bright sunlight. But I still have my 47mm OVF left over from my (now sold off) Q and I can kind of get away with that if I use my DA 35mm Limited (53mm equivalent) or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (45mm equivalent). There are plenty of used OVFs for sale on eBay if one needs different focal lengths. Just remember that you won't see any focus points or a focus confirmation in the viewfinder. You'll have to listen for the beep. So you'll be using the OVF for framing only. One extra bonus of the K-01: Because it uses contrast-detection autofocus (or live view) there are no issues with front- or back-focusing.

Other good alternatives include the Ricoh GR, if 28mm and crop modes (at reduced resolution) of 35mm and 47mm work for you. But it's the best one-handed camera you'll ever own. The Pentax MX-1 is also a valid option. Sure, it's a smallish 1/1.7" sensor but output is solid and the fixed zoom is fast (f/1.8-2.5). There's also a tilting rear LCD that's helpful. Build quality is superb. You can also pick up a Fuji X-E1 body for about $499 these days. You can add Fuji's 27mm (41mm equivalent) pancake lens for not too much money (I paid $200) and add more glass as needed. The X-E1 has a 16mp APS-C sensor and the EVF is built in. A great camera but make sure you have the latest firmware installed. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Biro; 05-28-2014 at 03:00 PM.
05-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #20

Will, I hope that the X100S won't be the only camera that you plan on taking to South America....I don't know what gear you have but certainly I would take a full sized DSLR and at least a couple of different lenses...you can use the X100S as a great walk around camera...
No doubt. I'm a Pentax shooter first and foremost, so the K3 is in the bag The X100S is for the towns where I don't want to be screaming "serious shooter" holding a DSLR. Not that the GR and X100S aren't capable cameras.

Looking at the specs and all the reviews, both cameras seem amazing however I opted for the GR and ordered it last night from Amazon for $680.00. Amazon has an easy return policy if it's not the right camera for me but I'm being optimistic that I'll like it.
What sold me was the fact that it's so inconspicuous and stealth and it fits in your pocket. I prefer the wider 28mm perspective over the 35mm of the X100S. From reading all the reviews, the lens seems to be tack sharp and I really think I'm going to like the "Snap" mode feature. It also doesn't hurt that the GR is about half the cost of the X100S. I honestly couldn't justify spending twice as much on the X100S.
I'll see if I can get used to not having a viewfinder but Ricoh does offer a snap on optional viewfinder in addition to a 21mm super-wide lens attachment which is also supposed to be incredibly sharp.
I'll post some photos and my review once I receive the camera.
All the main reasons I'd consider the the GR over the X100S (price, stealth and pocketability). What's good to note is that the GR has crop modes so you can set it to be a 35mm and 50mm in a snap in software.

The amount of features the GR has at that price point really makes it amazing. I'm certain that even with a 50% markup the camera would sell like hotcakes, but at the current price it does make it a no brainer.

You'll have to let us know how the purchase works out for you.
06-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

the q7
06-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I honestly don't know how I got on before I was introduced to the GR series - it's never left my bag since I bought it at launch (and the GRDIII before that) except the past month or so because I bought a Ricoh GR1s.

Could I interest you in a Pentax MX? It happens to accept k-mount lenses. (not either of mine, of course - you gotta get your own)
06-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...got the GR and haven't had time to play with it much but I did manage to take it with me on my travels yesterday.
First impressions: it's small and very light but it feels very well built. It is really deceiving in looks and can almost be taken for a cheap point & shoot, but it's NOT...exactly what I was looking for .
While it appears simple there are a LOT of customizable options that I haven't had to time to explore yet. From my very limited use of the camera, it has really sharp with IQ...on par or possibly better than my K-5 with it's 18.3 lens.
The RAW images seem much nicer than the out of the camera jpegs...all in all, it's quite a capable device.
The one thing that annoys me is the lock on the program dial...I personally don't feel the need for it and the one on the GR is akward to use IMO.

This was the first shot that I took. WIde open at 2.8 and uncropped....I probably had some movement taking this as it's so light to handle and I'm sure that there will be a learning curve to using it.

taken at f4...there's quite a bit of detail even though I cropped out a lot of the lower portion of the frame. Damn, this lens is sharp!
took this on the road at a traffic light. It was extremely easy to just grab at the spur of the moment which is exactly what I was looking for. This shot most likely wouldn't have happened had I taken the K-5 with me on the road that day.

no PP color RAW and uncropped
[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by peterjcb; 06-04-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
06-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #24

Sweet! Thanks for the initial impressions.

The new Ricoh GR firmware came out a few days ago that improves the AF performance. Mind trying it out? I'd love to know it performs in indoor lower light situations
06-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

What I am looking for now is a more portable, compact street camera that can go with me anywhere. The two that are on top of my list are the Fujifilm X100S 21mm f2 and the Pentax K-01.
I cut a block of wood to the dimensions of the K-01 (since there aren't any to be found locally). It is far thicker than I thought. The Fuji X100S and Ricoh GR are the only contenders left for me. I still haven't decided...
06-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Just a quick note for traveling considerations. I traveled for a 1.5 years between late 2009 and mid 2011 - with my I had a K-7 with a 50mm manual lens and a Ricoh GRDIII. Best combination ever and rarely if ever wanted for more to be honest, when weighing the thought of more gear in my pack against the versatility and compactness that combo offered. I'm planning some travel in the next year once again and this time I will be bringing the GR along with my MX and again a 50mm... I may add another lens as well because the lighter size and weight of the MX affords me to do so and I wont' have 2nd charger/battery to worry about, just film, which you can still get pretty much anywhere.
But were I going digital-only again - the GR and the K-3 with a fast-50 would be the bees knees.

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by walgarch Quote
Sweet! Thanks for the initial impressions.

The new Ricoh GR firmware came out a few days ago that improves the AF performance. Mind trying it out? I'd love to know it performs in indoor lower light situations
There's a thread on this in the Ricoh subforum in the compacts section. The low-light AF (my only minor criticism of the GR this past year) is HUGELY and very noticeably improved in my brief experience the past 24 hrs. I recommend anyone with a GR upgrade to ver 4.0 as soon as they can.
06-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Below link is a good tool to compare specs....some very tough competition. The Sony Cybershsot IMO was it's closest competitor and I would honestly be happy with either one.
Compare Digital Cameras at PC Magazine
The GR was the thinnest and lightest of all the models that I was considering and it looks so harmless on the street . Yes, it is lacking a viewfinder but the Snap Focus feature, superior IQ of the lens and options for an optical viewfinder and 21mm equivalent lens attachments were the points that won me over.