Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D and cold temperatures

Hi,
have this posted on the other forum as well
( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21302981 ),
but am still trying to fish for more feedback. There are some other reports of similar faillures of K10Ds in Europe here:
http://forum.digitalfotonetz.de/viewtopic.php?t=31570

Have had two K10Ds so far, both of wich were to a certain degree temperature sensitive. This is to say, that they produced weird results at around 0 degrees. Both cameras have been returned to Pentax Canada and I am without digital camera right now.

See here for some examples:
http://www.pbase.com/torge/k10d

I would appreciate any comments on your K10D experiences under colder conditions. Just around 0 degrees and/or colder. To observe this effect, the camera must likely be exposed to such temperatures for more than 20min without taking pictures.
I have heard multiple accounts of people using their K10D at up to below 25 degrees for multiple hous without problems and I have done so with my previous DS.
Thanks for your help,
Torge

01-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Sorry, I'm too chicken to brave that kind of cold. I'm more temp sensitive than my camera, I'm sure.
01-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

So long as we're talking celcius, I've had no problems like that at all and have been out several times in sub-zero weather with the camera exposed to the temperature without any shielding at all.

Most recently, the first photo in this thread was shot while the temp was around -8 and my second battery was failing from the cold - so around 2 hours into it. For the entire time, my camera was either hanging on my neck (outside the jacket) or on my shoulder, so it had no relief from the cold.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/2476-today.html

I'm hopefully going to be sneaking out again tomorrow, so if you can tell me what your process is (ie, shoot pef/dng/jpg) and processing, I'll see if I get the same results you got.
01-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
the fridge test

Thanks for your reply Andrew,
awesome pictures!

Yes, we are talking celsius.
Good to hear, that you don't seem to have problems with your K10D.
I exclusively shot raw (used *.dng on the K10Ds so far).
An easy way to test this phenomena is described here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=21715434
My first body failed after 20min in the fridge (+6C), the second body I had to put into the freezer (-7C) for 20min to fail. This is outside of the guarantied operating conditions, but digital cameras seem to normally just work fine as you have experienced yourself.

Cheers,
Torge

01-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #5

Something is clearing out...

Hi, Torge!
Although I have been to woods for several hours with my K10D at temperatures below -10C all worked OK... until today. Was wandering around in our university city for about an hour waiting for my wife to finish her lecture. And of course my K10D was with me. Weather was rather OK (some -5C and mixed Sun/clouds). Took some 100 shots and towards the end sun came out completely- so adjusted WB to Sunny (was snapping in JPEG as did not care much about the captures :-( )- took some and then and then the Sun disappeared and I switched back to Cloudy WB- and next two shots- You know already :-(
http://www.diagnostika.ee/K10D/IMGP1518.JPG

I am very angry with myself- I always shoot PEF+JPG and today it happened it was the JPG day (tried some Natural mode settings...). But what I can say from RGB histogram is clear to me- one of green channels is missing. Sony sensor outputs 4 color channels to de-Bayer conversion: R, B, Gb and Gr - and one of the G ones is missing- I guess that some G channel readout problem- but I guess that my mobile rang just before the shot- can not be this way...

Small edit: after some tweaking in Bibble Pro it is rather sure: the Gb channel (You can call it Green with blue accent I guess) was missing from this particular (and another) frame :-( And my cam has S/N 22199xx so rather one of the first batch (in usage from Nov 26th 2006) :-)

Thanks for reading and I shall contact Pentax on Monday as they are the only brand with such issues (experienced such in 2004 with my Pentax "Altoids" S (plus pixel shifting in RGB channels (picture teared apart :-), JR

PS I shall attach this image here also (as You see it was cold again :-) :

http://www.diagnostika.ee/K10D/IMGP4559.JPG

Last edited by Reps; 01-27-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: New information...
01-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was out today for around an hour. Temp was just below 0. I switched from .jpg to DNG and altered the WB a couple of times just to see if my camera would duplicate your results.

Fortunately I didn't get anything like that happening. My baby did just fine.

I'm hoping it's just a batch or something and I hope you get it sorted out with Pentax Canada shortly.....and hopefully my baby doesn't start acting up.
01-27-2007, 11:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Aside from getting strange image results, are there risks of permanent physical damage from sub zero F temps? I will be going to northern Alaska in March hoping to see and photograph the aurora borealis, but am worried about taking the K10D with me and possibly cracking a lens or ruining the sensor (possible lows of -30F). If the only risk is getting weird images, I could definitely live with that, but not if I ruined my new K10D! Maybe wiser to take an old point and shoot instead and leave the K10D at home?
01-28-2007, 02:02 AM   #8

I spent about 4 hours up on Grouse Mtn the other day. It was between -2 & 0. Didn't take too many pictures, but did take a few (59). Did adjust white balance, and basic shooting adjustments (iso, shutter, aperture, mode). No strange results were witnessed. Mine is an early Vancouver model, don't have the serial #, but I was either the 1st or 2nd Lowermainland Kerisdale customer to get one.

01-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeatnite Quote
Aside from getting strange image results, are there risks of permanent physical damage from sub zero F temps? I will be going to northern Alaska in March hoping to see and photograph the aurora borealis, but am worried about taking the K10D with me and possibly cracking a lens or ruining the sensor (possible lows of -30F). If the only risk is getting weird images, I could definitely live with that, but not if I ruined my new K10D! Maybe wiser to take an old point and shoot instead and leave the K10D at home?
Bring both. IIRC, the problem goes away once the camera warms up. If the cold does affect the sensor, switch to the p&s and report your findings to Pentax when you get back.
01-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

thanks Andrew. Was thinking about bringing both. But now wondering if something might actually crack or otherwise get destroyed in the K10D from mere exposure to extreme cold temps. Hmmmmm.... What to do? Seems like a real shame to not be able to photograph the aurora with a truly superior camera like the K10D.
01-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Mike,

Brett posted this in the other cold weather thread. It does address the plastics briefly:

Working in cold weather presents problems for both the photographer and equipment
01-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Reps,
intersting find!

QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
Weather was rather OK (some -5C and mixed Sun/clouds). Took some 100 shots and towards the end sun came out completely- so adjusted WB to Sunny (was snapping in JPEG as did not care much about the captures :-( )- took some and then and then the Sun disappeared and I switched back to Cloudy WB- and next two shots- You know already :-(
I also initially played around with WB settings, resetting the camera etc. All this however, didn't seem to have anything to do with the actual problem, which seems to be a hardware one. Having the camera turned on, playing around with settings and taking a couple shots most likely just creates enough heat to solve the temperature dependent problem.

But what I can say from RGB histogram is clear to me- one of green channels is missing. Sony sensor outputs 4 color channels to de-Bayer conversion: R, B, Gb and Gr - and one of the G ones is missing- I guess that some G channel readout problem.
Exactly what I have observed.

Small edit: after some tweaking in Bibble Pro it is rather sure: the Gb channel (You can call it Green with blue accent I guess) was missing from this particular (and another) frame :-( And my cam has S/N 22199xx so rather one of the first batch (in usage from Nov 26th 2006) :-)
My two cams had serial #s starting with 22240xx and the first one was the first to be sold on Vancouver Island as far as I know. Interesting to know, that our models are quite close in serial #s.

Thanks for reading and I shall contact Pentax on Monday as they are the only brand with such issues (experienced such in 2004 with my Pentax "Altoids" S (plus pixel shifting in RGB channels (picture teared apart :-), JR
Reps, I'd be very interested in any update you could provide on this.
Thanks,
Torge

Last edited by torge; 01-30-2007 at 11:31 AM.
01-30-2007, 06:08 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Thanks again Andrew! Great article and it does make me feel a little better about the risks involved. Will need to exercise lots of caution though. Thanks again for all the advice and help.
01-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I walked around in below 0C temps for hours the other day and had no issues. I was shooting a lot, so never put the camera under my jacket or anything.

Ice skating in Calgary

HTH,
N