Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2008, 04:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which one...?

Hello Pentaxians,

I'm new to this forum and seek some help here. I have been using FujiFilm S7000 for the last two years and have slowly learn photography from it. It's time to upgrade myself and after careful considerations I've decided on a Pentax. I had almost decided on K10D, but bloody K20D was released. I'm still convinced by the attractive price and me being a beginner that I should go for K10D. But the only thing that puts me off is the CCD vs CMOS. Is it such a big difference ? Am I in for a poor sensor if I stick with K10D ? Help me decide....

(FujiFilm S7000 has a CCD sensor -- they call it SuperCCD, which I was not so convinced. A 100% cropped image had fine grains at the lowest ISO settings in bright light.. -- also I never shot at the highest MP)

Second question -- Since I'm diving into SLR world, the big investment would be in lenses. I'm not interested in the 18-55 series (even mkII), but was looking at 16-45 or 16-50 SDM. I know both are great but I'm confused between f4 vs f2.8 SDM. Help me decide pls.

Thanks so much and hope to interact with you going forward,
Nish

05-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello Nish!

You are in a similar boat I was in , in July. I would ask you first, what can you afford? There is about a 600$ or more price difference between the two cameras. With that money you could put it toward some nice lenses. The K10d will be more than good enough for all your needs especially since you are a beginner. The sensor's image quality is top notch. Your Fuji was a CCD too right?

When you are looking at F number this indicates the lowest stop you can achieve with the lens. The simplest explanation would be the lower the number the better you can take pictures in darker situations. Also please note that at 16-45 and 16-50 you are getting alot less zoom (your range was 35-210mm).

Hope i got the basics through. I'm also pretty new too so I'd rather the more experienced members go through the rest
05-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Okami,

Yes my earlier Fuji had a CCD sensor and as mentioned, pictures were great as long as they were not blown to their max size. I'm not sure if this was an issue with Fuji or CCD. If CCD sersors are so bad in comparision to the CMOS i may buy a K20D, hence budget is not an issue with the body. It's just that this being my first D-SLR, the idea of K20D fitting there does not justify.

Regarding the lens, I'm really not worried about the zoom for now, but I need a good starter lens, i.e less vignetting and sharp pictures, everyday use. I may even consider 18-250 based on what our fellow Pentaxians recommend.

Cheers
Nish
05-01-2008, 05:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Nish. To help you decide, here's a link left in another thread, to dpreview's study of the K10D http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK10/

Hope it helps you decide!

PS: I got the K10D early this year and haven't looked back. It's a fabulous camera but I have no experience with the K20D.

05-01-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
JMS

CCDs are just another type of sensor. Your Fuji failed to thrill you, not because it was a CCD, but because the CCD was tiny. To put it into persective, the CCD on the K10D is about 16 times as large. If you liked the Fuji fine, then any DSLR should thrill you.
05-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone....

Waiting for someone to reply on the Lens recommendation (16-45 / 16-50 / 18-250) as a everyday use lens....

Thanks
Nish
05-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I own the 16-45mm /4 zoom and it is a wonderful lens. For the range I think it is one of the best you can get for the money. The color is true and the resolution is sharp. It does have some quirks, like you can't use the flash when you shoot wide (below 18 mm if memory serves) and you will see some CA under certain conditions. For a beginner like myself it's a great walk around and landscape lens.

The other two you mentioned I don't own, but have looked at to add to my every growing collection (thank you LBA) and have paid attention to what other people are saying. The 16-50mm seems to still have some build issues, but if you get a good copy it's an excellent lens (with a price premium). For myself I prefer to use faster primes for lower light shooting and situations where I want more depth of field control. It's my opinion, but I think I get better picture quality with a prime at wider apertures than with a zoom. That said I still wanted the convenience of a faster zoom and opted to invest in the Tamron 28-75mm /2.8 since I wanted a little more reach and thought it was a better value than the 16-50mm. I'm currently look looking at the Sigma 10-20mm or the new Tamron 10-24mm (whenever it comes out) to fill out the wide end of my zoom lens set. These will be for mostly outdoor and landscape shooting, so I'm not as worried about a wide aperture.

I'm still thinking about how I would use the Pentax or Tamron 18-250 mm. Again this would be a great walk around lens like the Pentax 16-45mm. From the test shorts I've seen it's a great all around lens, but I still think the 16-45 is a bit sharper and the superzoom is certainly soft on the far end of the zoom. That said, you do have to compromise to have that kind of range in one lens. I'm looking at it as a travel lens or shotting in conditions where I really don't want to switch lens that often (salt, dust, wet etc). As with the 16-45mm though you are losing some lowlight and depth of field options. With the 18-250mm you essentially make a DSLR into an excellent superzoom PS camera (like the Canon IS3 or IS5, for example).

With any lens choice you have to balance between how much money you want to spend, lens quality, and what kind of photos you want to take. All of the lens you are looking at will facilitate taking very good to excellent pictures. You just have to weight your options (and check your bank account) to decide which you'd like. For myself I'd still recommend the 16-45mm. Test it out, play with it. If it's not for you, sell it. Many people still want the lens and you could get a good price for it even if you bought it used.

There's my $0.02, hope it helps.
05-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
Thanks everyone....

Waiting for someone to reply on the Lens recommendation (16-45 / 16-50 / 18-250) as a everyday use lens....

Thanks
Nish
I've got the 16-45 f/4 and now the 16-50 f/2.8 SDM. The latter is by far the better lens. The SDM focuses fast and the f/2.8 means I can shoot without flash in less light. However, the real issue is that most lenses are better somewhere between the extremes. That said if you were at f/4 with the f/2.8 lens the picture would most likely be better than the f/4 lens at f/4. If you look at lens reviews you will see this. In reality, you'd have to have a pretty good eye to notice it in most but the most extreme cases.
Besides the new DA* f/2.8 lens has a lot more than just f-stops going for it. Better glass, better glass coatings, etc. You're a beginner now, but as you advance you'll want the better lens eventually. The 16-50 is also a nice wide angle choice. I have a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for long range stuff. If you only had ONE lens, you would want it to be the 16-50 range.

BTW: I chose the K20D because of the CMOS sensor. Canon has used the CMOS for quite some time so I figured it must be pretty good. Aside from that, it produces less noise and requires less power resulting in better battery life. The CMOS has come along way as it wasn't always the best choice.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

--Steve

Last edited by Steve823; 05-01-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something
05-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hello Pentaxians,

I'm new to this forum and seek some help here. I have been using FujiFilm S7000 for the last two years and have slowly learn photography from it. It's time to upgrade myself and after careful considerations I've decided on a Pentax. I had almost decided on K10D, but bloody K20D was released. I'm still convinced by the attractive price and me being a beginner that I should go for K10D. But the only thing that puts me off is the CCD vs CMOS. Is it such a big difference ? Am I in for a poor sensor if I stick with K10D ? Help me decide....

(FujiFilm S7000 has a CCD sensor -- they call it SuperCCD, which I was not so convinced. A 100% cropped image had fine grains at the lowest ISO settings in bright light.. -- also I never shot at the highest MP)

Second question -- Since I'm diving into SLR world, the big investment would be in lenses. I'm not interested in the 18-55 series (even mkII), but was looking at 16-45 or 16-50 SDM. I know both are great but I'm confused between f4 vs f2.8 SDM. Help me decide pls.

Thanks so much and hope to interact with you going forward,
Nish
you had a fuji... my condolences I got fed up with mine no its not a super CCD is got more noise because fuji had to "do it their way" I think you will be happy with the K10D
05-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you..!!

Thanks everyone, you really made me decide. I picked up a Pentax K10D with 18-55 MKII. 16-45 f4 lens was not available in most places and having come so close to a purchase, could not come back home with a body and then not use it..:-( Have posted some initial pics in the gallery.

Hope this relationship will be a long, fruitful and an ever learning one.

Thanks again everyone,

Take Care
Nish
05-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the 16-45 is quite pricy compared to the 18-55 so perhaps thats why its not so popular
05-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone, you really made me decide. I picked up a Pentax K10D with 18-55 MKII. 16-45 f4 lens was not available in most places and having come so close to a purchase, could not come back home with a body and then not use it..:-( Have posted some initial pics in the gallery.

Hope this relationship will be a long, fruitful and an ever learning one.

Thanks again everyone,

Take Care
Nish
Hi Nish,

Welcome to the community, I to have K10D. Its great camera, 18-55mkII is also a better lens.
Try shooting raw or apply some USM on the jpeg's (to see the difference).

One more thing that you should do is use old manual lenses on K10D, this way you will learn a lot.

This camera is really good but with some minor issues (Metering,AF,JPEG) but everything can be corrected, by manual metering, manual lenses with split focusing screen & shooting raw & manually adjusting the settings.
All this manual work will make you a pro really quickly

Enjoy