Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this is front focus...

Did a test with kit lens 18-55 wide open at 45 degrees and I believe I have front focus on my K10D.
Opinions please.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-14-2007 at 09:02 PM.
01-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Yes you have.
How close were you to the chart? I think it is recommended to let the printed chart fill the viewfinder (side-wise). Also, the pictures look so clean and jaggy at the same time. Are they sharpened and/or heavily compressed (JPG)? It make them a little hard to evaluate... but then again, they mostly are.
01-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These are close crops of the whole thing. Not sharpened but the screen capture I did could have compressed them. Distance from charts was ~minimum focus distance for the kit lense. I turned the camera vertical to take the shot of the vertical printout but followed the procedures regarding settings and took shot with remote.
01-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Screen capture? I did my AF test by taking raw pictures and develop them the usual way.

But ok, I see. The DOF makes it hard to see exactly where the focus is but maybe it is a case of about 10mm FF we have here.
DO you get the same for all focal lengths? Do you get the same when letting the camera focus from infinity and towards the correct focus setting as when going from closest possible setting (I hope you get what I mean here; letting the AF work in both directions), alternating from each direction say three times each.
The error is a bit bad but maybe not worse than you can live with it if you learn how it works.
Do you have any other, faster, lens you can check with? Focusing errors get more interesting (?!) with faster lenses. The same error with an FA50/1.4, or 35/2, for example, should be bad.
As I almost always focus manually I wouldn't bother that much. That's me. There are probably many different opinions about what can be accepted.

So, you bought a dSLR?! Congratulations! I don't know your story but for me it was like getting back home when I bought the DS after having used the Minolta A2 for a year and a half, or nearly two years maybe. Ah, I loved to get a responsive camera with an optical viewfinder again.

01-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #5

You guys are starting to scare me from the k10d! Ever since I have been on this forum, I keep reading about these issues with this camera.
I was considering the Nikon D80 but kept seeing the k10 getting better reviews, so i decided to order the k10. Now I am thinking it was a bad idea?!

Is the k10 a good camera, or are you guys really anal about minor issues?
I am asking in fun, but I am getting a sick feeling that this model has alot of issues.

So, should I do more research or is this camera living up to all the hype?
01-27-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
You guys are starting to scare me from the k10d! Ever since I have been on this forum, I keep reading about these issues with this camera.
I was considering the Nikon D80 but kept seeing the k10 getting better reviews, so i decided to order the k10. Now I am thinking it was a bad idea?!

I am asking in fun, but I am getting a sick feeling that this model has alot of issues.

I ordered the Pentax K10D, because I read about so many focus problems with the Nikon D80. I am very happy with the camera and I did not read about any fosucing problems of other users until now.
I think the general explanation could be:
There are mcuh more users in forums complaining about something, since they need help or advice, than simply content users. Or do you want to read in a forum all day long, how happy everybody is? I think this would be boring for everybody.
The camera is very good value for money, maybe the best at the moment in it's class (depending on your priorities). No need to get worried. If there really should be any problem with your specific camera, you should simply return it. This can happen to any producer and I think Pentax has good service (at least in Europe).
You did a good decision, even though I understand your concern.
Reagrds
Jacob
01-27-2007, 04:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I found, out of 5 lenses, 2 (FA50 f1.4, and FA35 f2.0) front focused in tests. I use both these lenses all the time, and have not had any issues in real world shooting.

For me it is a non issue. I would not worry too much about it. All DSLRs have something that people complain about.

There is nothing like handling and shooting with the camera yourself. When you are ready, buy the camera (from someplace with a good return policy) and if it doesn't suit you, try something else.

Cheers
-Alan
Advise is always free..... So take it at it's face value.

01-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

"Is the k10 a good camera, or are you guys really anal about minor issues?"

i think the real answer to that would be little bit of both..

nicely put thow.. he he

the posted example is quite clearly not focused in the middle.. its biased toward the front..

quite how it relates to real life usage and also how it compares to a different camera make confronted with the same tests i have no idea.. i dont think many others do either..

ps.. this example is a little different cos its the kit lens not some super fast shallow dof large aperture jobby..

Last edited by trog100; 01-27-2007 at 07:02 AM.
01-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the helps. Have a 50mm 1.7 manual focus which I will try next.
xecutech: The K10D is an excellent camera, unbeatable for the $$ so don't let these minor glitches and technical questions put you off. Overall I am very happy with mine and my only real complaint is I don't get it in my hot little hands often enough.
01-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #10

Ok, feel better now!
I think alot of camera guys have a good eye for detail and maybe get too involved over minute details, that may not really be an issue. I will probably end up the same way. As a tech, I am always noticing glitches that seem to be no big deal to most people.

thanks for the info. I still plan on the k10d and i am so excited to get started. I also found a local camera club here in Nashville for help!
01-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote

I have a K10D and I do not suffer any front focusing issues with either my kit lens or my FA 31mm f/1.8. So I guess that this is just a problem that a minority of users have. Definitely not some thing I would worry about.
01-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Not much of a help I'm afraid. I just hope you can keep things into perspective - something that I'm struggling with.
01-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

just a thought but what kinda auto focus settings are being during these 45 degree angle tests.. it strikes me that if centre spot isnt being used the tests becomes meaningless..

trog
01-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Definitely center focus on this test. Will go now with the 50mm 1.7, manual focus and repost results.
01-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This one shot Av mode, center focus (not relevant as is manual focus), 50mm f1.7 lense, manual focus, wide open, no sharpening, levels adjustment only to bring up the light.
This one looks more balanced.
Does that mean the auto focus is off slightly and manual focus is right on?

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-14-2007 at 09:02 PM.