Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Forum Member

Location: The 808 State: Hawaii. From Nikon to PENTAX to Canon to Pentax
Photos: Gallery
Asking fellow Pentaxians their opinion on this

Hi guys, name is Walter..

So my situation is that I want to get back into the Pentax scene after selling my K10D to try the Canon T2i. Sold my T2i and saw this deal for a Red Pentax K-x. The only catch is that the image potrayed on the screen is sort of funky.

Can only explain through these pictures..

Pentax mentioned that the K-r and the K-x bodies are non-serviceable so with that said. If I can get the guy down to a my target price, should I pick it up??

Thanks for you input fellow pentaxians.

Attached Images

05-30-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Isn't it the overexposure detection that is activated ? It highlights the overexposed area on the rear screen with a blinking red colour
05-30-2014, 04:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning,

A couple of questions. If you were to make an change to aperture, shutter speed or ISO, would the image on the rear monitor change? Or does the area - the sky in this case remain the same, or does the area/effect go away or change?

Or - if you were to change the scene being shot, would the area in question - the sky remain the same or does the area/effect go away or change?

I don't use the mode - nor do I know if the Kx body has it, but there is a mode that you can put the body in that detects if an area is over exposed and identifies it on the rear screen after the image has been shot - and I believe that it looks something like this. It can also be disabled.

Then again, the rear monitor could have been damaged, and the damaged area is how it displays.

Here is a link to the Kx manual
and it is called the bright/dark area - see pages 28, 29, 125, 144, 179, 201, 203, 249, 250, 277 ..... etc - use the search function on the pdf document.

You need to change the image being captured or turn the mode off to make sure that the screen has not been damaged.

05-30-2014, 05:24 AM   #4

I am not sure that the answer is as simple as the over exposure activation being turned on. In looking at the image I wouldn't expect the blue sky to register as over exposed. Perhaps some areas in the clouds might be over exposed, but in general it looks like a fairly well exposed image as compared with the back of the camera. Were it my $$$ I would proceed with caution.

Just out of curiosity what is your target price?

05-30-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

K-x is an "old" camera so there is no service for that wich would be economical logic. So as long as your price is good and you can spare the money, there is no reason not to buy it. Aks the guy tot send you a fresh made RAW + JPG and see if that is good.

If the rear monitor is damaged then the K-x is for grabbes I guess. Pay $ 50 or so and enjoy it.
05-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
hello fellow pentaxians,

thanks for all the replys. My target price is $100.00 since his asking price is $200.00.
05-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It sure looks like the over-exposure warning. Maybe something got ruined in the logic. The first thing I'd do with it is perform a factory reset.
05-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #8

When in doubt, throw it out. At least that's when it comes to food, but I wager that it could be applied somewhat to used cameras. If there is a possibility of a refund, that would ease my mind about this particular purchase. If not, without the possibility of a trial run, I'd save my money and get something more recent or a K30 refurbished or K500 which is coming down in price.

06-14-2014, 03:10 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi guys,

just wanted to update.So after really considering, I really have no use to do video so I just when ahead and purchased K100d kit for less than $130.00. I was always more of a lens guy then having the latest body gear for pentax. Its was always just a hobby i love to do to keep the stress levels in check. Can't wait to get it in and starting shooting again.