Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #1

K10D focus screen "matte" visible during use

HI All

I hope someone can help me here.

When using the 18-55 mk1 kit lens supplied with this camera in some lighting conditions and focusing conditions you can see the "matt" patterns of the little focus screen which dulls the image in the viewfinder.

If i use my old 50mm A F1.7 lens i Just get a nice clear image. The thing is I was wandering if this is normal for a dslr or is my focus screen faulty? it doesn not affect the image in any way

05-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is absolutly normal.

If you want to see the more matte then set the aperture to F8 or F11 & then use optical preview, you will be seeing loots of matte.

This is behaviour of matte screens whenever the aperture is small it shows the matte, if you have large aperture screen will be clear.
05-02-2008, 03:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that advice - it has settled my mind as I even bought a replacement screen thinking the other was dirty/smudged so at least i have a spare now. I think its becuase i have got used to using the older 50mm lens with a wide apature and getting an absolutley clear picture.
05-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He he he... I had the same exact impression once I open my K10D box and started to use it. There is a very similar thread back a month ago!

Apparently it is 100% normal and, believe it or not, the K10D has one of the brightest screens according to these DLSRs gurus!

05-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wills Quote
HI All

I hope someone can help me here.

When using the 18-55 mk1 kit lens supplied with this camera in some lighting conditions and focusing conditions you can see the "matt" patterns of the little focus screen which dulls the image in the viewfinder.

If i use my old 50mm A F1.7 lens i Just get a nice clear image. The thing is I was wandering if this is normal for a dslr or is my focus screen faulty? it doesn not affect the image in any way
The matte will help you to do better MF. So, it is just a good thing afterall! If you can't see the matte with brighter lenses, I think it is just a bad thing, in contrast.