Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
300 dpi

Hi all,

I am new to this site, but not new to Pentax. I've been shooting with an istDL for 3 years and have now upgraded to a K20D, which is technically much more advanced than I am. I want to enter a photo contest (deadline TODAY) where they require my photographs to be a minimum of 300 dpi with a total file size between 12-17 MB. When I set my K20D to 14.6 at the highest JPEG quality, my images are only 72 dpi x 72 dpi and 6 MB. I know I am technically challenged, but can someone please tell me how to achieve this image quality (300 dpi/12+MB) with the K20D? Thanks,

Julie
aka technically challenged

05-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #2

If you have Photoshop (or any other image editor), you can change the resolution to 300 dpi in the (for Photoshop) 'Image' -> 'Image Size' menu. When you've made all the adjustments you want to make to the image, save it as an uncompressed TIFF. In the future, for the highest quality images you'll want to shoot RAW or RAW + JPEG.

Good luck in the contest.
05-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I'm planning on going out to shoot some today and was going to give RAW + JPEG a try and I thought I could accomplish this through Photoshop, where I am also a novice, but learning. They do accept TIFF files and that was where my thinking was going.
05-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You sure it's not PPI instead of DPI?

I think it's PPI.

05-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

DPI is 100% dependent on the output device and image scaling on that output device.

Thus unless contest submissions are hardcopy, it makes no sense to have a DPI requirement, only an image resolution requirement.
05-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote

I think it's PPI.
I think you're right. Anyway, the actual pixel dimensions are more important than either PPI (the image or file resolution) or DPI (the printer resolution) unless you are printing. But many contests and others use the term DPI when they really mean PPI and they act as though the number 300 is carved in stone. The required values are easily changed with Photoshop and other programs.

Richard
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Interesting question and got me searching. Found this page to be quite interesting. Oddly enough it comes from a floral website
Hope this helps!
05-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote

I think it's PPI.
lets not generate more confusion dpi and ppi today mean the same thing most people know that its meant for printers and is not the same as what was once called ppi (I'd prefer to be so accurate but its a term thats passed away sadly) today if you say dpi related to a camera most people think of it in the same way as ppi as printers bnow are quite capable of printing images we hardly worry discuss their dpi and so dpi has come to mean ppi, I'd prefer to use both terms correctly but alas

05-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
lets not generate more confusion dpi and ppi today mean the same thing most people know that its meant for printers and is not the same as what was once called ppi (I'd prefer to be so accurate but its a term thats passed away sadly) today if you say dpi related to a camera most people think of it in the same way as ppi as printers bnow are quite capable of printing images we hardly worry discuss their dpi and so dpi has come to mean ppi, I'd prefer to use both terms correctly but alas
I usually explain it this way to my beginner students: ppi is what you see on your monitor; dpi is what you see coming out of your printer. 300ppi is ok, though I prefer 240ppi for most print jobs on my Epson. But for the printer resolution, I mostly set that at 1440dpi and on rare occasions, 2880dpi.

As for the camera, the only thing that matters is the pixel dimensions that are captured. The ppi/dpi has no relevance at that stage, but I'm sure you know that. Like you, I prefer to use the correct terminology but we're probably a dying breed.

Richard
05-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #10

I get these approximate sizes on my K20D for different quality settings:
12 MB ****
7 MB ***
3.5 MB **
1.5 MB *

And my personal opinion on "they require my photographs to be a minimum of 300 dpi" is that they do not know what they are talking about - the digital picture is pure virtual, it has some size X*Y pixels, but no actual physical/visible representation, so there is no sense in talking about "inches", until it is actually "materialized" e.g. by pringting.