Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
when will we see a k3ii?

Hi, i was wondering when will we see the next pentax flagship dslr?? And what improvements (in your opinion) will be included. I see pentax as a outdoor /wildlife brand, so i think they should focus on AF speed and high iso capabilities.
At the same time i would like to know how much faster and accurate is the AF on the k3 compared to my k-30 (lets say using the da*300).

I know it's a little early to talk about a new camera but the doubt came to my mind.

05-31-2014, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on my having purchased my K-3 about a month ago, I would expect that the K3II and K3IIs should be announced any day now. Taking their cue from Nikon and Canon, there will be no additional features or improvements, just a name change.

Steve
05-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote
Hi, i was wondering when will we see the next pentax flagship dslr?? And what improvements (in your opinion) will be included. I see pentax as a outdoor /wildlife brand, so i think they should focus on AF speed and high iso capabilities.
At the same time i would like to know how much faster and accurate is the AF on the k3 compared to my k-30 (lets say using the da*300).

I know it's a little early to talk about a new camera but the doubt came to my mind.
If I were to guess, mid to late 2015.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

'Flagship' is not the same as 'K-3 replacement.' I think there will be another flagship available (or at least announced) by the time we see a K-3 replacement.

You should not expect the DA*300 to focus much faster (although perhaps it will be more accurate, more consistent, or more decisive, and it should handle lower light better) because the in-lens motor is the deciding factor. A larger difference should be seen with a screw-drive lens, since the improved AF motor is in the camera body. As good as the DA*300 is, they need to update it with a new motor. Currently it's the fastest-focusing Pentax telephoto lens with an in-lens motor (not counting the "consumer-grade" DA18-135), but screw-drive primes such as my F*300 have already surpassed it now that Pentax has upgraded the in-body AF motors. Ricoh's already strongly hinted that making faster AF motors for future lenses is a key initiative, but this will take some time. Before you get too excited, keep in mind that Ricoh's not only met, but perhaps surpassed the other lens manufacturers in the amount they're raising the prices on each new lens release.

Having said all that, the best answer to your precise question will still come from someone who's owned both the K-30/K-50 and K-3.

Last edited by DSims; 06-01-2014 at 12:23 AM.
06-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

The K-3 is a beast. It is very capable at high ISO. A PF member even argued that it is better at high-ISO than the K-5iis (hence the K-30) when you downsize your shits to 16 Mp.

You asked for improvements. Yes AF can be improved. But we also want to see some continuity, including:

-Body ergonomy and build - I love the body ergonomy and build quality of the K-7/K-5/K-5ii/K-3.

-WR - I value highly WR because i shoot mostly outdoor. Pentax is the only manufacturer who provides a choice of sub-$1200 dSLRs with WR.

-IQ - No need to say more... as there have been so many thread on the topic but Pentax has done very well with the K-5 sensor family (K-5, K-01, K-30, K-50, K-500, K-5ii, K-5iis).

-Backward lens compatibility - This is a key asset for all Pentax users: we can re-use our lenses immediately; no need to buy new-ones. I believe that this argument has not been marketed enough.

-Small body - I value a small body and Pentax has an excellent experience with smaller dSLR bodies.

I would love to see some continuity and enhancements in the K-3ii, while retaining what bring me to Pentax.

Hope that my 5 cents will be of interest.
06-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3ii will be available after I have purchased my Pentax FF (or else!)
06-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I see pentax as a outdoor /wildlife brand, so i think they should focus on AF speed and high iso capabilities.
That would be true if there were good options for long glass. Personally, I'd like to see them concentate on that first.

06-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
That would be true if there were good options for long glass. Personally, I'd like to see them concentate on that first.
I would like to see a fast focusing da*400 f4

---------- Post added 06-01-14 at 06:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
'Flagship' is not the same as 'K-3 replacement.' I think there will be another flagship available (or at least announced) by the time we see a K-3 replacement.

Are you refering to a FF?
If so, is that even been considered by pentax in a serious manner? (What i mean here is if there have been a claim saying "we are developing the technology" or simmilar)
06-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Are you refering to a FF?
If so, is that even been considered by pentax in a serious manner? (What i mean here is if there have been a claim saying "we are developing the technology" or simmilar)
Yes, from what they said they already developed it. The problem is that about a year ago they weren't completely happy with what they developed. They said they ran into a problem. I don't know what it was, but one of the possibilities was trouble getting satisfactory SR because it could require an image circle around 1.15x bigger than all these 35mm-format legacy lenses actually have. Alternatively they might have to crop the sensor output by about the same amount (similar to the 1.2 crop APS-H format Canon introduced a while back).
06-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Yes, from what they said they already developed it. The problem is that about a year ago they weren't completely happy with what they developed. They said they ran into a problem. I don't know what it was, but one of the possibilities was trouble getting satisfactory SR because it could require an image circle around 1.15x bigger than all these 35mm-format legacy lenses actually have. Alternatively they might have to crop the sensor output by about the same amount (similar to the 1.2 crop APS-H format Canon introduced a while back).
i would actually preffer a 1.2x-1.3x sensor than a FF.
06-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Amen
again Amen
06-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

i would actually preffer a 1.2x-1.3x sensor than a FF.
I'd like to see FF, but I'd be OK with this compromise - especially if it only happened when SR was turned on (although some might find it a bit awkward and complain). While I use SR a lot, I also shoot a good amount of action where SR is of little use, and I could take advantage of the full sensor size.
06-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax has no plan to bring a 1,2x Sensor or anything nonsense like this.
And K-3 class is not out of production,if 35mm ....
Best regards
06-02-2014, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

They better be focusing on new glass. K-3 is still one of the best APS-C bodies on the market and will be for a year or two.
06-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They better be focusing on new glass. K-3 is still one of the best APS-C bodies on the market and will be for a year or two.
Amen Amen