Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #1

anyone switch from canon to pentax

Hi:

I posted yesterday about selecting a digital slr system. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has switched from the canon 40d to the pentax k10d or k20d. Your insight as to the differences will be appreciated. Thanks:

RWA

05-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rwa Quote
Hi:

I posted yesterday about selecting a digital slr system. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has switched from the canon 40d to the pentax k10d or k20d. Your insight as to the differences will be appreciated. Thanks:

RWA
There have been some earlier discussions on this topic.
Here are a few:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/23935-anyone-who-s...on-s-line.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/24924-building-new...ions-help.html

Happy reading

- Bert
05-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rwa Quote
Hi:

RWA
Benjamin K, from Canon top pro 1 series to a Pentax K10D (IIRC).
05-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I've ADDED Pentax to my collection, not switched

from Canon. I still use Canon. But, I used Pentax for many years and when I couldn't resist any longer, bought a K10D.

05-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imajypsee Quote
from Canon. I still use Canon. But, I used Pentax for many years and when I couldn't resist any longer, bought a K10D.
Holy cow! Your gallery is absolutely stunning...
How many of those were shot with the Pentax?
05-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
rwa

Original Poster
Imajapee:

Yor photo gallery is absolutely tops. I would greatly appreciate any comments you have regarding using Pentax products versus Canon. I will probably never be an artist like you, but I want to have the right system so if I do grow it will grow with me. Thank you for posting your gallery. I really enjoyed it.

RWA
05-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I am thinking of selling my 40D and buying af K20D. Three reasons mostly:

1. In body stabilisation
2. The top lenses are a lot cheaper in Pentax land.
3. I really want to use the amazing craftmanship currently collecting dust on my shelf, the 43mm f/1.9 ltd.

... I know this one is stupid, but I find the Canon kind of "boring".

05-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sold my 30D and bought a K20D mostly based on specs when looking for "something else".
Ordered a M42 to K mount adapter to use my various Takumars (still on a UPS truck), got a K-Mount adaptall for my recent Tamron 90/2.5 (52BB) acquisition and a kit lens to go with the K20D (As a cheap wide angle lens once i know which lenses to add down the road)

Why i think i made the right choice:
High ISO performance beats my 30D easily.
NICE BRIGHT Viewfinder. (Maybe i'm crazy, it even seems larger, in any case, focusing with it IS easier)
In body image stabilization even on manual lenses (gotta love cam turning on and asking for FL of lens)
Switches i can use while using the camera for metering, AF point, AF Mode.
Green button for use with old lenses, or as a quick set when walking from sun to shade when in M mode, regardless of lens.
Focusing wide open with lens stopping down for the shot will likely have me find good K replacements for M42 Takumars. (Love it on the Tamron 90/2.5)

Now where i have an AF button that i don't have to share with AE-Lock, i may actually start using it.
May reinvestigate shooting jpeg, when a push of the raw button gets me a RAW+ for the next shot, picture settings also seem to be sufficient for that.

Negatives:

Zeiss makes ZK glass and that may get me in trouble......
05-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
Kim

I switched from C to Pentax aswell.

In-body stabilization, dust shaker and weatherproof bodies and lenses made me switch.

So far only the stabilization has actually come to reality. Dust shaker doesn't work and I dare not buy the 16-50 lens. Oh well I still do like my K10D, but not for the reasons that made me switch.
05-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I switched from a canon P&S to Pentax...does that count? J/K

but there was a post on another forum where a pro photographer changed one of his cams to the K20d from a 40d. if you read the whole thread he talks a bit about the pros and cons of each...

now he doesn't talk about in body stabilization directly, but I'd have to think that this feature is a major advantage over Canon when considering weight and cost, let alone universal compatibility with all lenses mounted on a Pentax being able to take advantage of this feature.
05-04-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I never made the switch but sold quite a few canon lenses to buy some pentax lenses.

Seriously, 40d is not that bad at all. 20d does have more edge to the colour and contrast. But 40D has a much faster autofocus to track things around.
05-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I haven't really switched but added Pentax as my travel gear. My current Canon gear is full frame including my film system, yes i'm a diehard film guy

What i've noticed; nothing,other than ergonomics, menu and higher price on Canon related gear Pentax gives me the same images i want for less. (matching newest models)

I bought into the K200D, i get weather proofing on what they call "entry-level" because the industry considers pre-sets on the dial "entry-level", well take a look at some "pro" models where you can pre-set in their menus albeit not on a dial

Also you can buy into some real nice weather proofed lenses rather inexpensive compared to the industry standards. (their entire line is priced for the value conscious, not a bad thing these days the way the economy has gone)
05-04-2008, 07:13 AM   #13

First of all--I am an ameatur and just like to take lots of pictures.

I have both the 40d and the k10d.

I think a case can be built to get both--they each have unique qualities.

comparison

40d--is faster 6.5 frames/second--good sports, airshows, and birds in flight--and has excellent tonality--build quality in my opinion excellent--sharpness is spot on--weather seals are not that good--when you take a picture the shutter actuation feels rock solid--lots of qood lens--can be adapted to accept Pentax k lens.

k10d--is an excellent camera--3 frames/second--has Sv and Tav which the 40d doesn't have--have shot lots of bird shots but had to be setup ready for the action--tonality is also excellent--sharpness is good--weather seals are first class (have left the camera in the snow and rain---on the ground for hours with no ill effects)---when you take a picture the shutter actuation is not as solid as I'd like but seems ok--any of the newer DA's lenses are very nice, I prefer the older lenses and use a 50mm 1.7 A and it is one of the best in my bag (I also have a canon 50mm 1.4--they are very close but the Pentax wins out based on blur effect and sharpness)--Oh yea, I really like the availabiltiy of double, tripple--exposure. Also, the k10d seems to have more versitility in set-ups (which can slow you down on quick shot).

You can't go wrong with either camera--I think you'll find as I did that they are unique enough to warrant getting both. Which camera is the first--I started years ago with a Kodak range finder moved to an Canon FTBn then to an Asahi Pentax K1000 on to a Canon 300d, and now the k10d and 40d. I am sure you've made visits to camera the shop--it can be very difficult to get the feel of a camera in the store. One thing that I like to do is take in my own memory card (SD for pentax and CF for canon) and shoot various shots and then review results at home--it helps a little.

enjoy the choices and have with your cameras.

Rich