Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Do all Pentax dslrs have e dial lag?

I have noticed that on two different K30's I have owned if I turn the e dial wheels too quickly when changing aperture or shutter speed, then not all of those clicks will register, such as 3 quick clicks of rotating it might only change the setting by one interval, and it changes after a noticeable pause, being "laggy" compared to other brands of DSLRs. Since I frequently use the very convenient green button in M mode to change shutter speed, this lag can be bypassed, but sometimes when significantly changing the aperture it is a little annoying since I have to go slowly so the camera can keep up. Are all Pentax DSLRs like this or is it just the K30?

06-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-30, and it's lightning fast. I can spin the aperture e-dial at blinding speed and it goes. I have pretty fast fingers, and it keeps up no matter how fast I turn it.

My guess is you set one of the menu choices to something that causes this. No idea what. Another thought: Are you running the latest firmware? The release firmware had a few annoying bugs, could be one of them.
06-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On some units the edial may become gunky and non responsive.
Do a search for edial issues for threads on how to fix.
06-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think there is a difference between quick-clicks, and spinning the e-dial as fast as possible. On all three of my Pentax DSLR's, I can do quick clicks and everything is registered fine (even K-r). If I spin the wheel as fast as I can, only the K-3 will recognize "every click" (I don't know how many clicks it actually spun, but went from f4.5 to f19). The other bodies definitely do not pick up every click (I think), but show not enough lag that would ever bother me.

06-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Latest firmware fixed it. Thanks guys