Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Uk Lens Hire

Quick question.

I have a K7 with kit lens 18-55
I have been asked to take some pictures of my work Products Ie Bottles in a Dimly lit warehouse I wont be able to use artificial light just ambient.
What would be the best Lens to hire for the task in Question

06-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The issue might be more who/where in the UK can you hire Pentax lenses and what do they hire? Try SRS in Watford.

As to which lens, distance to subject? What will you actually be shooting?
06-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by freehighlander Quote
I wont be able to use artificial light just ambient.
Much more important than the lens is adequate lighting... Even more for product shot such as bottles...
On the lens, get something rather longish to have a good working distance, prevent perspective distortions and be able to blur the background with a largish aperture. for example, a 70mm, 85, 100mm lens. It doesn´t need to have any automatism so you can get away with manual lenses...
Also, a tripod is a must of course..
06-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod + 2 sec timer + remote trigger! Big, heavy tripod and a remote, so you can take photos without touching the camera. That way you can take long exposures at low ISO, but the subjects will be nice and sharp. If you have that, the aperture won't be a big problem and you can choose based on the focal length that works best. But even if you can just bring a lamp with you, that would help out. Light is important not only for AF and shutter speed/DoF, but also because it can make the objects look 3D, can add interesting shadows, nice shiny parts, etc.

For product photos, I would suggest the DA 35mm f2.8 macro or DFA 50mm macro. DFA 100mm macro if you want to take photos from a distance. Very sharp lenses, DoF marks, flat field of focus, allow nice closeups. And these lenses don't have any distracting characteristics, the photo will be all about the objects. And they don't cost an arm and a leg! Considering what image quality and magnification they offer, they are a bargain

If you need to take photos handheld in low light, get an f1.8 or f1,4 lens. DA/FA 50mm, Sigma 35mm, maybe even a Samyang if you can make do without AF. I would stay with 50mm or wider angle, so you can use a slightly longer shutter speed without handshake blur.

I would also suggest you get some practice with the lens first, since every lens has a learning curve

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-04-2014 at 10:44 AM.
06-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Lens

I have a nice heavy tripod and remote trigger.

It really will be ambient light only but Im not bothered about that I just wanted advice on the lenses

06-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro is brilliant at this. Longer exposures though mean most lenses will do OK.

Not even an LED light panel mounted to the hotshoe or an LED ring on the lens? Those work really well, and are not flashes, so you can still do long exposure.
06-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think you should just purchase a DA35/2.4. Works great wide open and has nice round bokeh too. You may not want a macro lens (depends on the product) because sometimes they're too sharp, and may even show up dust when you're close.

Now if you were shooting cabinet doors straight on you'd want the macro's flat field, but I doubt you are.

And the DA35/2.4 is so affordable you get to keep it.

You can see examples of how it will work, including checkmate on p.2, pottery on p.4, the foot on p.6, and old door on p.8:
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/photos/gallery/query?camera=&lens=4063#/carousel

Last edited by DSims; 06-04-2014 at 03:44 PM.