Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Handing your camera to a non-photographer
Nope. Tripod, remote or timer. Or, their camera.
JMO,
Ron

06-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always use live view when I do that. Seems like nobody actually knows what a viewfinder is any more.
06-05-2014, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Maybe they should relabel the "Autopic" or whatever it's called, to "Guest" or "Friend" mode. That would help put a more positive spin on a feature that most DSLR owners want to distance themselves from.

I think most DSLR users never take it out of green mode.
06-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Drop your junk camera and run away with their camera
Why even drop the camera?

06-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Just don't expect to much of the strangers.
06-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I usually just make sure they have the strap around their neck in case they drop it.

But I do have my k-r set to AF button like you do.
06-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I learned over time that not hand my DSLR to other people at all. I wouldn't like the pictures they take, and they don't know how to get the focus right too. So usually end up a bad photo, why bother then? :P

The worst thing is relatives actually, they don't bother to learn and thought the reason you took good pics is your camera. So they want to borrow your camera and "get some shots". I hate that. :S
06-05-2014, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I learned over time that not hand my DSLR to other people at all. I wouldn't like the pictures they take, and they don't know how to get the focus right too. So usually end up a bad photo, why bother then? :P

The worst thing is relatives actually, they don't bother to learn and thought the reason you took good pics is your camera. So they want to borrow your camera and "get some shots". I hate that. :S
No one rides my motorcycle but me and no one borrows my camera. I will let a family member use the camera if I'm with them and they put the strap around their neck to avoid dropping - but that's different from borrowing.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 06-05-2014 at 06:13 PM.
06-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I always use live view when I do that. Seems like nobody actually knows what a viewfinder is any more.
I've learned not to bother trying to show people how much nicer a pentaprism is, compared to the pentamirror in their entry-level Canon or Nikon.
06-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I never hand my camera over. A) It costs too much and cannot be replaced B) They cannot comprehend rear button AF C) They try to zoom my primes or quick shift my FA Ltds D) What's a viewfinder? How do I turn the screen on? E) Everything is backwards compared to my Canon (same reason I hate borrowing someones Canon)

We carry a point and shoot for this reason. I am a big fan of the gorilla pod and remote... but the Fiancee prefers to hand over the P&S (which bothers me as I trust no one with MY cameras).
06-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
For just a couple of shots that I have to be in (Family, groups, etc) I just hand it in auto or semi-auto mode and make them wear the strap around their neck. I do need to remember and make sure it is in single shooting mode. Last time I handed my K5 to “non-photographer” for a group picture in a sporting event it was on Continuous (Hi) - She took about two dozen shots.
Happened last week to me. The guys said "it sounded like a machine gun" and I ended with over 30 useless pics extra during that event shooting.
06-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll often just joke and say, "I'll Photoshop myself in ha ha." That'll usually work.
06-05-2014, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

That's like handing the scalpel to the patient.
06-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
An older gentleman wanted to photograph my wife and me having lunch. It was very sweet of him. I handed him my K-30 and he expected to use the LiveView display. I told him to use the OVF. "Ahhh, this is an old fashioned camera, isn't?
06-06-2014, 01:31 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I've handed my camera to friends who in recent memory used dslrs, they now hold it at arms length and say it's broken when nothing appears on the screen. Many of these same people think it's a film camera, because it's not plastic.

Last year, I handed my camera to an older gent - not only did he look through the viewfinder without having to be told, he composed the shot such that my wife and I were located with our faces towards the top of the picture and we were even in focus. I was fully impressed.