Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Is that true of all Canon 100m lenses?
Yes, it's EF-mount lenses manufactured since 1987, and all of them have auto focus. Fully compatible with present Canon DSLR.

06-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't know thanks.
Maybe I should see if used long teles for Canon are cheaper than Ptx due to more of them out there?
06-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Yes, it's EF-mount lenses manufactured since 1987, and all of them have auto focus. Fully compatible with present Canon DSLR.
That is a sore point with those who owned FD-mount cameras and glass in 1987.

As noted above, Nikon and Pentax are the backwards compatibility heroes. In regards to Nikon F-mount bodies, one must also include the more recent Zenit cameras in F-mount.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-07-14 at 09:50 AM ----------

I didn't know thanks.
Maybe I should see if used long teles for Canon are cheaper than Ptx due to more of them out there?
Absolutely. They are common as crows and Coke bottle. It is my understanding that some municipalities are recycling by grinding them up for use on road shoulders.

Steve
06-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Absolutely. They are common as crows and Coke bottle. It is my understanding that some municipalities are recycling by grinding them up for use on road shoulders.
From a quick search on craigslist there are a lot of them out there but they retain value well, no real bargains. For the good stuff, anyway.

06-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

From a quick search on craigslist there are a lot of them out there but they retain value well, no real bargains. For the good stuff, anyway.
I suspect that the situation is similar to Pentax. The low-end stuff is cheap and abundant on the used market. The high-end stuff was very expensive to begin, did not sell in huge numbers new, and remains high-priced as a result. As for craigslist...even junk is over-priced there

Steve
08-27-2014, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well lissen to it good, we now have 27 million lenses:

somewhere 42 sec and on
08-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

You know how some people say "I dont want a Pentax camera, tehres no lenses four it!"? This is why the marketing department says "There are over 25mil of them out there, old and new"
And I am pretty sure they didnt mean to imply 25mil different ones, because that is too absurd. They meant total lenses produced that you can mount on a Pentax DSLR

08-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have two broken in my cabinet. So there are only 26 999 998.
08-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a sore point with those who owned FD-mount cameras and glass in 1987.

Steve
Nope, not quite. There was an intermediate version between FD mount and EF mount which was in production for about two years incompatible with both FD and EF

My brother in law was caught changing from FD to this intermediate mount thinking this was a once in a lifetime issue only to be left stranded with the whole thing when they finally went to EF mount,

He switched to Nikon

---------- Post added 08-27-2014 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I have two broken in my cabinet. So there are only 26 999 998.
So if I break 2 more I can add 1,999,998 more to the total also

Where did you study math?
08-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #25
Veteran Member

In this video Carlson talks about 27 millions.
08-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
In this video Carlson talks about 27 millions.
08-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Apples, oranges...
02-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

PENTAX - the first manufacturer worldwide to sell more than 10 million SLR cameras in march 1981:
PENTAX Asahi Optical 10 Million Jubilee stand 1981 Jubiläum Ständer /17 | eBay
02-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Amazing find.
03-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Time and context skew the understanding about many things we use today.

When this statement originally showed up many years ago it was in context of the (most certainly approximate) number of all lenses then potentially available for use on Pentax bodies; a statement of versatility as it were. Good marketing for the new PK bodies and a legacy goal Pentax has thankfully carried forward. Maintaining the older PK-mount dimensions has definitely been a challenge and somewhat limiting in accommodating modern digital aperture and AF lens technology. Keep in mind you also have to accommodate lens registration distance as well as mount diameter and architecture.

Note the abandonment of the older dimension mounts as Canikon moved to the digital lens hardware standards. Older PK dimensional standards and incompatibilities are also one of the reasons Tamron and Sigma don't do PK-mounts today - there is no economical new "Adaptall-standard-type" electro-mechanical engineering configuration to leverage as a third party manufacturer. Oddly enough, digital hardware printing technology could conceivably make it economically feasible to re-visit the Adaptall lens strategy.

Another common misconception is the intended use of the OEM M42-PK adapter. It was originally intended to be semi-permanently mounted on then brand new PK mount bodies to allow those with extensive, expensive collections of M42 lenses to acquire the new PK bodies without an immediate total upgrade to the lens bag. That was also good marketing strategy while no AF functions were present. Today folks whine about the inconvenience of swapping their one adapter between many older lenses - wasn't meant to be used in that manner.