Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do you think the K70 is going to have?

I was surprised to hear about an upcoming K70 I'm not sure what the K50 needs without getting close to the K-3

06-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's exactly what the K-50 needs: to get closer to the K-3 in areas such as AF and resolution. By the way, where'd you hear this rumor?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now that I think about it it's just as likely they were talking about the K50 but got the numbers wrong. It seems too soon in this market.
06-06-2014, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I was surprised to hear about an upcoming K70 I'm not sure what the K50 needs without getting close to the K-3
I'd like administer fps so I can set the number of bad images I canmake in any given period. The total will always be "all of them"

06-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Now that I think about it it's just as likely they were talking about the K50 but got the numbers wrong. It seems too soon in this market.
K-50 has been out for a year now.
Who is "They"? Quote your sources please.
06-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Cameras in this price range tend to be renewed after one year and the K-50/K-500 was released on June 12 of 2013. Ricoh hasn't released a K-mount camera for quite a while, and the headline specs of the K-50 don't look as impressive as they did at the introduction of the K-30. So without any kind of inside information, I think it's reasonable to expect a successor soon.

Personally, I think it should have a higher resolution sensor (to keep up with the Joneses), a better AF system (but not necessarily as good as the K-3), and be smaller and lighter if possible. I also think it would really help sales if the AF was silent like it's competitors, so adding the DC motor to the kit lenses would be a very smart move. At present, you can get the quiet AF, but only if you step up to the 18-135 kit.
06-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most definitely a full frame sensor

06-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

For a good "kit" a K30/50 with the Sigma 17/70 2.8-4 Contemporary lens is very fast and quiet auto focusing. I used this in a church funeral without a single stare.
06-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My guess would be the AF from K-5 II, 24mp, flu card support, a rubber patch for the right thumb and something video related
06-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Usually getting the latest sensor is the most common upgrade. This is what all other camera maker do: bump the number of pixels. I would remove the low pass filter but doesn't support for optional filtering. This has to be a high end feature (and almost useless but hey it is part of why the K3 has been selected as best DSLR of the year so...)

The latest video features, maybe even better than what the K3 does would be logical. It help to get good reviews and people are sensitive to that (me I don't give a shit, but that's another story). So it could be a new chip, or better algorithms still on the same chip.

For the AF, for me they can't use the one of the K3 otherwise it would remove the interrest of the flagship. The one of the K5-IIs can be a good compromise: a little too big AF sensors but very accurate in low light and a little faster. That would allow to sell the "K70" as the best camera to shoot in low light of it's category. They could do the reverse: K3 array of AF sensor but, not low light support. I feel that more complex (the K5-IIs sensor they already have it) and marketing wise 27 sensor is not that exceptionnal anyway, wheras the low light can be really a selling point.

For comfort feature that are just software like choose the number of FPS, number of braketing view and so on, one must understand that it is just a willing of providing it or not but this also add more value to the higher end version that can do all of that... So I would not do that.
06-07-2014, 02:27 AM   #11

As an entry-level, the K-30/K-50 is already grudgingly accepted as one of the front-runners. If there were to be a K-70, then an increased MP to around 25 or more would put it (rightly or wrongly) in the newcomers sights as now equal in Image production as the D3300 and its ilk - a fallacy promoted by the magazines too. 25MP, and better build-quality and WR will give Pentax both the fictional and factual advantage.
06-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #12

What I would like to see, although it doesn't matter since I just bought a K-50, is flu card support. I did want an articulating screen, but if I could use the flu card that would make the articulating screen moot.
06-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Keep in mind the K-50 is basically the same as the K-30, so it might be time to stop the usage of that 16MP sensor (as great as it is!). I doubt the next camera will have 16MP. Its too bad Canikon restarted the MP race with their low to mid tier bodies. I expect it will have the same sensor as K-3, but slower stats, smaller body and lower price.
I would really like there to be a tilt screen. I doubt Pentax will introduce any game chancing new features on a low to mid tier body, though.
06-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I was surprised to hear about an upcoming K70
The K70 link just shows some random stuff from B&H.

Personally, I don't care too much,
since I'm very happy with my 6-month old K-50.
The AA-filter is weaker than it was on the K-5,
and 16,084,992 is more than enough pixels
in the market for cameras selling under $500.
06-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's exactly what the K-50 needs: to get closer to the K-3 in areas such as AF and resolution. By the way, where'd you hear this rumor?
I think this was a case of confusing the 70mm limited lens with a camera. It is occasionally referred to as K70.
I logged on here all excited because of the launch of a new camera, only to discover that we are merely
dealing with an instance of misidentification.