Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The K70 link just shows some random stuff from B&H.

Personally, I don't care too much,
since I'm very happy with my 6-month old K-50.
The AA-filter is weaker than it was on the K-5,
and 16,084,992 is more than enough pixels
in the market for cameras selling under $500.
Having more pixel is easy, because the sensor are available and cheap. The other are doing it and in a sence give more to their clients. This would be stupid to miss this opportunity.

All the industry toward making camera, making lenses and testing them go forward ultimate sharpness. They don't speak of fantastic color, or of good contrast, or the rendering. Many experienced photographer are on this trend to. More pixel is the most effective sell for a new body.

You can say you don't need it but it is like saying you should have only one seat on your car because most of the time you drive it alone.

06-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

I owned the K-30 and it was a nice camera but I never gelled with it. As if it was ALMOST there but not quite finished. The K-5ii I now have was a noticeable improvement for me. But I'd still like true tether support and the 24mp sensor from the K-3 just for extra crop/resize room.

If the K-50 replacement had the 24MP sensor from the K-3 while retaining all else in the K-50 but having tethering (non FLU implementation) then that would be an interesting camera. I suspect, though, that Ricoh would keep the RAW bit depth to 12-bit and reduced burst framerate just to give some difference.

Other interesting features I'd like would be hybrid viewfinder (overlay of the histogram or settings in the OVF) and autofocus movie mode and some quieter lenses to make use of this feature. But, I'd expect those in the flagship model.
06-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It definetly wasn't confusion about a lens

I was picking up some film at a local store and they know I have a K-3 so they mentioned the Ricoh rep had been in showing the WG4 and talking about all the R&D and then they mentioned the K-70 and that was about it.
06-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I was picking up some film at a local store and they know I have a K-3 so they mentioned the Ricoh rep had been in showing the WG4 and talking about all the R&D and then they mentioned the K-70 and that was about it.
Makes sense actually.. they went from 30 -> 50 so why not 50 -> 70 ?

I figured they skipped 40 due to the sensitivity of the Japanese to the number '4', but I guess they are running with the numbering and are going to skip '6' too. Makes me wonder what they'll do after the K-70 is dated in a year or two.. as the '9' is also looked on much like '4' there apparently.

That brings me to something slightly more important.. why aren't Ricoh/Pentax aligning the numbers between camera tiers ? I mean having a K-300 entry, K-30 mid, and K-3 upper

Instead, we got a disjointed K-500, K-30/K-50, K-3 numbering.

And, further, the upper tier numbering is decreasing in value (K-7 -> K-5 -> K-3) while the mid tier is increasing (K-30 -> K-50 -> K-70)!

Ricoh/Pentax are becoming like Canon with their confusing numbering system.

06-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #20

14 bits? that would be the least the could do, imo
06-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They can't wait too long with a 24 mp update. In addition it would IMHO be nice if they made it significantly smaller, K-x-ish in size.
06-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I owned the K-30 and it was a nice camera but I never gelled with it. As if it was ALMOST there but not quite finished. The K-5ii I now have was a noticeable improvement for me. But I'd still like true tether support and the 24mp sensor from the K-3 just for extra crop/resize room.

If the K-50 replacement had the 24MP sensor from the K-3 while retaining all else in the K-50 but having tethering (non FLU implementation) then that would be an interesting camera. I suspect, though, that Ricoh would keep the RAW bit depth to 12-bit and reduced burst framerate just to give some difference.

Other interesting features I'd like would be hybrid viewfinder (overlay of the histogram or settings in the OVF) and autofocus movie mode and some quieter lenses to make use of this feature. But, I'd expect those in the flagship model.
If they change the sensor to 24 MP, they likely have to change the processor along with it as there's never been any evidence the Prime M can handle more than 16 MP.

06-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
14 bits? that would be the least the could do, imo
Wouldn't that be a K3? And could they do 14 bits with the Prime-M imaging engine?
06-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #24
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well keeping the PRIME M would be the cheapest. So that means 12-bit RAW. I don't think 24 megapixel would be a problem for the PRIME M, it just takes a little more time to calculate.

All camera's are getting 4k video and I don't think PRIME M can do that. We don't need 4k video, since we still don't have TV's for that. But when all camera's can do, then Ricoh has to think about that. That would mean a new generation processors for all camera's. Not this year I think.
06-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wouldn't that be a K3? And could they do 14 bits with the Prime-M imaging engine?
I don't know enough about processors, but all competitors have 14 bits depths. (even the entry level canon I think).

This is one major reason why I don't buy a K50!

I have an old k10d and I would like to upgrade but there is nothing decent yet
06-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an old k10d and I would like to upgrade but there is nothing decent yet
What about the K-3? K10D was the flagship when I got mine.
06-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What about the K-3? K10D was the flagship when I got mine.
Its a bot off topic, but... what the heck...
Yeah, I love the K-3, but I it's too heavy. The K50 would be better, bet has only 12 bits. The K5II would be great but is too old. Maybe the K5III (?) of K70? who knows
06-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well keeping the PRIME M would be the cheapest. So that means 12-bit RAW. I don't think 24 megapixel would be a problem for the PRIME M, it just takes a little more time to calculate.

All camera's are getting 4k video and I don't think PRIME M can do that. We don't need 4k video, since we still don't have TV's for that. But when all camera's can do, then Ricoh has to think about that. That would mean a new generation processors for all camera's. Not this year I think.
Remember, we can also crop in video the same way we can in photography.
We definitely need 4K video as it would be wonderful to have more real-estate to crop down to 1080p.

06-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Remember, we can also crop in video the same way we can in photography.
We definitely need 4K video as it would be wonderful to have more real-estate to crop down to 1080p.

Don't forget that it's one thing to have a lot of small pixels, but you also need te have a sharp lens. Cropping a 4K video or record a 1080P (with a lens with a longer focal length, of course) won't be the same...
06-09-2014, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I love the K-3, but I it's too heavy.
K10D with battery: 793 g (1.7 lb)
K-3 (inc. batteries) 800 g (1.76 lb)

7 grams seems like a reasonable weight price for all the improvements over the older camera IMO.