Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #1

Warning!,Read this before doing a firmware update

...Did a firmware update quite awhile a go now on my K-7,but to keep it short I ended up bricking the camera as the firmware update froze about 1/2 way through and eventually I had to shut the camera off as it was gonna die anyway,and yes it was a fully charged battery,etc,as I followed the instructions to the letter,and I have done other firmware updates on it before as well as my old K200D...Sent it in for a repair estimate.and this is there reply below!...Told them to keep the camera,totally redicoulous quote for a software issue!

Make PENTAX Model K-7 Serial # 3
Make Model Serial #
Make Model Serial #

Extend Warranty Information

Invoice # Purchase Date: N/A Expiry Date: N/A

Warranted By: Customer Name: Phone :
Estimate Detail:
Is there physical damage to the unit? No

Estimate Comment: "REPLACE MAIN PCB ASS'Y
RESTORE ALL FUNCTIONS
CHECK & ADJUST"

Parts Description:
1 MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD; x 1 Price $400.59
2 MISC x 1 Price $10.00
3 Price
4 Price
5 Price
Parts Total $410.59
Labour $200.00
Other $0.00
UPS Handling $44.00
Subtotal $654.59
HST $85.10

Total $739.69

Dealer/Customer Sign Back

GoAhead r Do Not Repair r Hold r

Method of Payment

Cash r On Account r FULL PAYMENT IS REQUIRED UPON THE APPROVAL
Master r Visa r OF THIS ESTIMATE

Date P.O. # Signature

06-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
redicoulous quote for a software issue!
Flash memory chips can be damaged permanently if the reprogramming cycle is interrupted. Since they quoted replacing the main PCB, my guess is that the hardware failed a diagnostic test. It's likely not just a software issue.

How old was your battery? My MacBook Pro will say that it's fully charged, yet the battery only gives me 20 minutes of usable charge rather than the 3-4 hours it originally lasted. It is 3 years old. Time to replace it.

Yeah, $700 to repair a K-7 is a no-go. Sorry for the unfortunate circumstances. But, used K-7's are cheap enough, or you could look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to a K5IIs or a K-3.
06-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's probably just one chip gone south. Seems a bit useless that they can't change the bad chip, it's a 5 minute job with the right tools/technique + assembly time. The modern age I suppose - get someone with a few days training to change a board.
06-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Seems a bit useless that they can't change the bad chip, it's a 5 minute job with the right tools/technique
Yeah, the days of component level repair are gone. Robots build the boards now - little human involvement. You or I could replace the chip easily, I'm sure - the trick is getting hold of the replacement part in single quantity.

06-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
the trick is getting hold of the replacement part in single quantity.
They're probably not even made available. Costs of maintaining the inventory and handling the few, rare orders might be prohibitive.
06-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And also some suppliers of components do not supply to anyone other than the OEM.

I had a bench top induction cooker once. A Toshiba power component failed and a local repair shop said they could do nothing since Toshiba would not sell the component to anyone other than the manufacturing factory. I could not get a data sheet for the component (similar components from a supplier were $170 so you need to drop the right one in place) so the whole product was expensive wheelie bin filler - even when there is no rule that says we need to fill the wheelie bin.

I notice the attitude of most suppliers here is that the owner is given instruction to do a job like changing the firmware, rather than having the opportunity to take it into the shop and have someone who does it regularly do it for you. I compere that to Taiwan, where when I buy a SIM card for my phone at the airport the lady selling it will install the new card and make it work while I wait. (Useful - I need the phone to call people immediately - unlike in Australia where you go to the shop and get the card, but to set it up you have to go to your own internet connection and fuss about and the staff in the shop are unhelpful and will not install it and make sure everything is working properly - even though the Telco shop has computer terminals which presumably are connected tot he company's own network!).
06-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

That sounds way steep. When C.R.I.S replaced the bricked (failed FW update) main board in my K-7, the whole job was around USD300.00
This was couple years ago...
06-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Total $739.69

They are gouging you, plain and simple. But, that is the nature of electronics repair estimates.

06-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

My bet...someone has a new K-7 and will spend a few minutes making it as good as new. That happened to me recently with a chain saw. Found the guy running it like it was new 20 minutes after I left it at the shop where they had pronounced it dead....and could repair it for more than twice what it cost.......I got it back, but there was almost another Texas Chainsaw Massacre in doing it. If I hadn't left my sunglasses on the counter, I would have never known.

Regards!
06-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
They are gouging you, plain and simple. But, that is the nature of electronics repair estimates.

Yeah 740 dollars for a REPAIR. for 740 dollars they should send you the camera replaced and/or dipped in gold!

Obviously they don't really care to fix it.. it makes way more sense to quote a jacked up price in order to force you to buy a new camera.

The problem with this way of business is, it is as easy (or easier!) to buy a Canon Nikon Sony Fuji or Olympus than it is to buy another Pentax.
06-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My bet...someone has a new K-7 and will spend a few minutes making it as good as new. That happened to me recently with a chain saw. Found the guy running it like it was new 20 minutes after I left it at the shop where they had pronounced it dead....and could repair it for more than twice what it cost.......I got it back, but there was almost another Texas Chainsaw Massacre in doing it. If I hadn't left my sunglasses on the counter, I would have never known.

Regards!
Oh man, there are all kinds out there. Bunch of lowlifes, should have ruffed them up some.
06-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #12

Original Poster
Firmware follies

...The whole thing just stinks to high heaven!.If this is what can even remotely happen to a camera during an upgrade,then I think they need to come up with something else.This was an eye opener,just glad Pentax doesn't make cars,
06-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

...The whole thing just stinks to high heaven!.If this is what can even remotely happen to a camera during an upgrade,then I think they need to come up with something else.This was an eye opener,just glad Pentax doesn't make cars,
Pentax don't make the chips. Firmware updates always have an element of risk to them, *h** happens.
06-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have to admit, that is disturbing... I'd like to see Pentax cough up a new camera. But, that's what extended warranties are for. I got the extended warranty for my *ist. At $180 it seemed like a lot. But then 3 years later, a month before the warranty expired, I somehow burned one of the circuit boards. They told me the repair was worth $750 and the warranty covered it all. The sad thing was, by then I could have had a K100D for $600, and been a lot happier. My moto has always been, if you don't think you can replace it, insure it. These days you can get an extended warranty for a lot less.
06-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
It's probably just one chip gone south. Seems a bit useless that they can't change the bad chip, it's a 5 minute job with the right tools/technique + assembly time.
And there is the rub. Replacement of a surface mount component on a modern board is not cost-effective, if indeed it were possible to do so at the repair facility.

Steve