Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
See my post further down, the *istD and DS have TTL flash, which meters light reflected off the sensor.

All other pentax DSLRs use P-TTL which meters the flash when the lens is wide open then calculates the correct flash for the selected apature. for this to work, the lens needs to be controlled by the camera and have the contacts that tell minimum and maximum apature.
Aaah, I looked it up and you are right. I didn't realize the distinction. Sorry about that, I haven't been involved heavily in photography for about 15 years and it seems the technology advances leave me with a lot to learn.

05-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
this is now about flashes, P-TTL / TTL!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
See my post further down, the *istD and DS have TTL flash, which meters light reflected off the sensor.

All other pentax DSLRs use P-TTL which meters the flash when the lens is wide open then calculates the correct flash for the selected apature. for this to work, the lens needs to be controlled by the camera and have the contacts that tell minimum and maximum apature.
I get this, but I have not idea what this means in terms of
  • which flashes
  • with which options
  • at which prize
I can use on an *istDS as compared to a K100D.

resp. which advantage TTL flash support means in 'real' life?
I just looked up the info on flash use on the *istDS manual, and it seems that it is only the AF360FGZ which can be used as a slave and as a wireless anyway.

how will I use e.g. a AF330FTZ, what are the differences when using a AF330FTZ on a *istD(S) or a K100D? ( I just saw one used in a store for about 60 USD )
which other - cheap - flashes would be recommendable to use with the *istD(S) - which cannot be used as well on a K100D?

I have full understanding if anybody feels that my questions are too basic, but hopefull somebody still will be patient with me..;-)

cheers,
Andreas

Last edited by kuuan; 05-05-2008 at 02:36 AM.
05-05-2008, 05:04 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
I get this, but I have not idea what this means in terms of
  • which flashes
  • with which options
  • at which prize
I can use on an *istDS as compared to a K100D.

resp. which advantage TTL flash support means in 'real' life?
I just looked up the info on flash use on the *istDS manual, and it seems that it is only the AF360FGZ which can be used as a slave and as a wireless anyway.

how will I use e.g. a AF330FTZ, what are the differences when using a AF330FTZ on a *istD(S) or a K100D? ( I just saw one used in a store for about 60 USD )
which other - cheap - flashes would be recommendable to use with the *istD(S) - which cannot be used as well on a K100D?

I have full understanding if anybody feels that my questions are too basic, but hopefull somebody still will be patient with me..;-)

cheers,
Andreas
If you are building a system, I would recommend the AF540FGZ because it has the most versitility.

It can operate on any pentax camera and has 4 basic on camera operating modes.

Manual, where you set the power and adjust the apature and ISO to get the correct exposure.

Auto, where a flash mounted sensor sets exposure knowing ISO and F-stop

TTL, where it will function in TTL mode for all cameras that use flash control by reading light reflected off the sensor/film (this goes back to the LX in terms of compatibility)

P-TTL for those cameras that only support this mode.

This way you have one flash that works for all modes.

According to the *istD manual the AF330FTZ cannot operate in P-TTL mode (i.e. it is like the AF500FTZ, TTL only) which means it can't work on the cameras after *istDS

The AF360FGZ can operate in both P-TTL and TTL mode, like the AF540 FGZ, and would be a better selection if you only want 1 flash but want to use it on both cameras.

In terms of flash, and price, the newer FGZ series flashes would be more expensive than FTZ flashes, but limited in terms of use on a DL or K series body to manual mode only