Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

my chernobyl bird..??

a couple of bird shots i took last week.. k100 with sigma 70 x 300 apo dg..

chernobyl bird.. medium crop to remove some snow then downsized..

postcard bird.. full frame camera produced jpeg just downsized for the web..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 01-27-2007 at 09:54 AM.
01-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Yep, that is a strange looking bird. Looks as if the skin on its legs is coming off and the neck is too short. Very funny....but probably someone knows the species.
01-27-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the majority were finches.. bullfinches i think.. the red breasted one is the male.. the other might just be a female of the same species..

my chernobyl joke might have some truth in it.. the north of scotland where the pics were taken is said to have got a light dusting of undesirable material a few years back..

i got about ten successful shots out of about thirty attempts.. for some inexplicable reason the chernobyl bird was in most of the successful ground based ones.. there must have been at least fifty birds coming and going..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 01-27-2007 at 07:08 PM.
01-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
i got about ten successful shots out of about thirty attempts.. for some inexplicable reason the chernobyl bird was in most of the successful ground based ones.
I wonder if its "handicap" makes it bolder, so it was coming closer and staying longer, thus you were more likely to get a good shot of it. I used to feed birds at a pond, and there was a goose blind in one eye who was bolder than the rest. He once came up behind me as I was tossing grain to some wild ducks and grabbed the loose fabric on the back of my trousers and yanked - "Hey, over here! Feed me!"

I also wonder if such leg mutations are the result of industrial pollution. I've seen similar on pigeons. Of course, it could be a lot of things.

Great pose on the red-breasted one!

Julie

01-28-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a more mundane reason julie could have the camera perhaps found more detail in the "ugly" bird than it did in the nice red ones.. i was totally relying on the camera getting its autofocus right.. most of the faliures were when it didnt..

this is the only decent ground based pretty looking bird i managed.. but his pose is perfect..

here are some interesting bird feeding shots.. my son still has most of his fingers left.. he he.. the swans like chocolate bourbons.. they make lighting grabs for them not slow and leisurely.. those were taken with a tamron 18 x 200 walk around lens.. the last shot is one of the young ones..

they live in the marina where we keep a couple of small boats.. they literally come and tap on the boats hull to be fed.. needless to say we have plenty of interesting swan shots

trog

Last edited by trog100; 01-28-2007 at 07:49 AM.
01-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
a more mundane reason julie could have the camera perhaps found more detail in the "ugly" bird than it did in the nice red ones.. i was totally relying on the camera getting its autofocus right.
Oh, such a boring, non-biological explanation! Great swan photos, there were a couple in the pond I used to visit, but they were rather shy for some reason. Man I wouldn't want that beak closing on my fingers! Your son is either brave or mad.

Julie
01-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
they normally are shy and quite firece when if u go near their young..

those know where they are well off i think.. they also make strange very quiet sqeaky mewling noises when they are happy or asking for food.. my son sleeps on his boat quite a lot and just takes them for granted.. almost like pets..

trog
01-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #8

I love the last swan photo, the colors and the dew drops are great.

Also the postcard bird on branch if very nice too.