Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K10D Beginner Settings

I recently bought a very nice used K10D with grip and lens with the intent of giving it to my youngest daughter for her upcoming birthday (21) next month. She's been bugging me for a while for a 'real' camera and she does have the 'photographer's eye' having produced some stunning shots in the past with a variety of P&S cameras and her phone camera. In fact she was so good that I was pushing her towards a college photography course when she left high school but she was sure she wanted to go into a career as a theatrical make-up artist (she was very good at that too) but fate deemed otherwise and she's ended up not going into further education at all (at the moment). She has used my camera in the past so is somewhat familiar with DSLR technology but I've always set the camera up for her and left her to the composition and focusing.

The K10D and my K-30 have many similar features but also several differences so I was wondering if anyone with more experience with the K10D could come up with any 'basic settings for beginners' tips along the lines of menu options or custom settings. My intent is to get the camera set-up ready for when I hand it over so that she can get up to speed ASAP.

Of course I will be around to answer her questions as they arise and no doubt she will be making regular forays into my camera bag to try out my lenses on her camera!

06-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reset to factory defaults. Enable aperture ring. Get Magic Lantern guide. Gift wrap.

Let her, or both of you, fine tune it as the need arises.
06-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree with SpecialK.

After many years of using the K10, that the basic default settings have worked the best for me. I prefer to shoot RAW and post process and generally find that I don't need to do a lot to get very pleasing images. I have found I prefer spot metering to the other settings, but that's just personal preference based on how I learned to meter exposures from way back in the dark ages.

The only other suggestion I have would be to use manual flash settings. I've never had good results with an af350 in auto-mode except on rare occasions. The on camera flash isn't bad, so if it works I'd go with that for now.
06-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions guys. I will peruse the manual today to see if I can find the reset command and also how to enable the aperture ring. Both of the lenses she will be starting with have the 'A' setting on the aperture ring but it would definitely be a good idea for her to learn how to shoot manually as well as in semi-auto modes.

06-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, semi-auto is great - the TAv mode is a real strength.

Manual is a lot of fun, though, make sure CIF is available.