Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

How to pic metering mode on a K10D?

Hello,

I still sometimes struggle under which circumstances I should pick which metering mode (ie, point, center weighted, or multi-segmented)? your help is appreciated.

In addition, when using multi-segmented mode, when should I tie the multi-segmented mode to the AF point?
Thank you for your help.

01-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

its a downside to having too many choices at your disposal..

trying to work out what should be set where and when tends to make me find settings that generally work for me and ignore the rest..

i go for center weighed metering and selectable spot focus.. i dont think there is a definite thing u should be doing just a bunch of variations on a theme that u can be doing..

it could be said i under-use the technology at my disposal but its my approach when confronted with too many options as i often am..

i know they have to offer all these options just to out-compete the competition.. but i cant help feeling having so many does more harm than good..

just my thoughts for what they are worth..

trog
01-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
center here also most of the time, usually spot doing macro.
01-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Forum Member

How to pic metering mode on a K10?

I agree with trog. Center weighted, spot focus.

Chuck

01-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have been using spot metering, and haven't been really happy but didn't know why. Yesterday I changed to center metering and really like it a lot better.
01-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loganross Quote
Hello,

I still sometimes struggle under which circumstances I should pick which metering mode (ie, point, center weighted, or multi-segmented)? your help is appreciated.

In addition, when using multi-segmented mode, when should I tie the multi-segmented mode to the AF point?
Thank you for your help.
I use the center focus point only, because I want to be in charge of what gets in focus.

I don't couple af point with metering because I reconpose after having set the focus and usually I want the scene exposed as recomposed.

I mostly use multi-segment metering; in multi-segment metering the camera secondguesses the best exposure based on backlight and other factors. It might be better to stay in charge yourself and use centerweighted metering. However, my few, unscientific experiments with the meter haven't revealed any differences between the two metering modes. To me it appears that no matter the mode, the exposure stays the same. Spot exposure metering is different, though, because it only measures a small part of the frame.
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Auto EV Comp on the K10D

Q: the K10D has the option of Auto EV. How does this work?

If

1) parameters (ISO, Shutter, AP) are already adjusted automatically based upon the meter reading subject to the mode you are in, and

2) the purpose of EV comp is to tell the camera "i know you think x is the correct amount of light, but i think y is actually the amount of light needed"

Then

what is the purpose of Auto EV Comp? And how could it be different than the Camera's initial evaluation of exposure?

In other words, Auto Comp says that it "automatically adjusts EV when the exposure is not sufficient", but isn't that what the camera does in the first place based upon the meter reading. I guess this does not make sense to me because it appears that ev comp is meant to override the camera's suggestions based upon human analysis of the scene, yet auto EV comp implies that the camera can override its own initial suggestion without the benefit of "outside the camera" information.
01-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loganross Quote
Hello,

Thank you for your help.

I like the multi meter mode as it seems to do well in most of my situations. I have to admit I have not "challenged" the camera much as far as difficult exposures, but I have used spot and center and still like multi.
If I have time to make adjustments, most of the time I let the camera decide which focus point to use.... if it isn't the one I think would work best I gently "wiggle" the camera ever so slightly and most of the time the camera will change the focus point to where I want it to be.

hard to explain, but seems to work for me. I do manually choose the focus point sometimes, but only when there are things in the foreground it don't want the camera to focus on.

cheers

randy