Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

HELP - Flash Question

Hello.
I finally got my Pentax 540 flash to expose shots consistently but not my issue is recycle times. At events I find myself constantly waiting for the ready light to light up. Does anyone have any experience with the Pentax TR Power Pack? I know it helps with the amount of shots with the flash but is it worth it to speed up the recycle times?
Thanks in advance!

--

Phil

PhilipCarlPhotography.Blogspot.com

05-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Forum Member

Try using a higher ISO setting and slower shutter setting, before you buy a battery pack. Are you using the flash as fill?
05-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

what sort of batteries are you using now tho?

rechargeables or just regular AA's
05-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Rechargables I think they are 2900. I am already shooting at like 800iso and 30th of a second. Wedding hall dance floor kinda shots.

05-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey PCfranchina
I shoot on that setup at weddings...

i am aware that i could be wrong here, but im taking a stab at it.

if you are shooting weddings then chances are that by the time you are shooting the dance floor, your batteries are just about juiced out.
i take 24 energizer AA 2500maH batteries to each wedding. (and i feel like i should have about 8 more)
basically when i change locations i change flash batteries.
it is very important to have fresh batteries if you want to shoot weddings with flash.

also
if you ARE changing your batteries, then you should have a recycle time anywhere from 2secs to 10secs
if you find yourself waiting longer than ten seconds to recycle your capacitors, change batteries.
AAAAAAND
remember that if you have a battery pack hooked up to your flash and you are pop pop popping that thing, it is possible to fry your flash so take care of it and it will take care of your weddings

good luck and have fun.

mitch
05-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
It gets to the point where it is goin to 10 seconds. Would the pack help with that?
05-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

when it gets to the point where it is going to ten seconds, it is normally because you are almost out of juice. if you have the pack, you simply have more total juice during the day.
(and i believe the power pack can recharge the capacitors more quickly)

when i shoot on canon (550 ex) i generally have a quantum turbo pack on there.
i find that they will usually go all day without a recharge.

i dont know about the pentax power pack, but it takes a very short time for the quantums to recharge, so it isnt a problem to take a second at the church or reception and plug em in.
05-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
So it could just be a battery issue? Should I invest in better batteries and charger or the pack?

MJB DIGITAL - How rapid can you shoot with regular AA batteries?

05-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You can set your flash to discharge while charging. it is in the custom settings menu.
if you have that set up, you can shoot rather quickly. however, you are flashing before the capacitors are filled all the way, and you get less of a discharge. (less light)

occasionally, if i need to flash faster, i drop the flash power a little bit(and open the aperture a bit). that way you are using less power to pop the flash and you can recharge faster.

and then there are the other times when i turn my flash all the way up.....
its like a nuclear reactor 8D
and i have to wait a little longer.

i would say that two to three seconds is about average for a fresh pair of batteries. (with a fresh turbo pack, its almost instantaneous)
if i am on a job, i'll change after 3 or 4 hundred shots i guess, to keep them quick. i dont know, i usually can wait till the reception to change batteries, so im shooting the getting ready, preceremony, processional, (flash off during ceremony), recessional, formals, and park pics.

by the time i roll to the reception, im thinking im getting up there around six seconds or so and that is going to be a problem when they introduce the wedding party and they come in around 4 seconds apart.

after a wedding my batteries are usually warm. 8)