Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you mind shooting in manual? You can get s PK adapter for a Sony mirrorless and reuse your favourite Pentax lenses.

06-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hobkyl Quote
IQ isn't there for me.
Even with the 08 lens?
06-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Given where you live, at the northern tip of the finger lakes, and just south of Lake Ontario, I think you we selling your local short.

There are a lot of landscapes to photograph there,

While I understand a little the sentiment, as we all tend to explore our local area less than the tourists do, but there is a big difference in shooting and hanging something on your wall, having done so in a way no one else has, than just knowing it is in your back yard literally

Aside from that you missed one important point in my last post, it is all about trying different techniques, viewpoints, and learning, learning learning. Then when you go to that exotic place you are a) prepared B) profificient and C) conditioned to explore alternate views.

Otherwise you are simply going to repeat the great shots of others before you.
You make some great points. Don't get me wrong-the waterfalls in the finger lakes are my passion when it comes to photography. They are what actually got me into photography to begin with. And I love the finger lakes and the views that I get to see when I have the opportunity to take some time away. I think I worded what I said incorrectly.

However, they aren't at the end of the street and most are about an hour away. Add that I very rarely shoot in mid day, so my options are weekend mornings. (I don't want to hike out a creek in dark). Those mornings are increasingly hard to come by. I might be close by these great scenes, but life has it way of me pretty much going to work and going home to be with family-without much time in between to stop and look around.

If I were to replace the k30-I would still want a camera that could capture the beauty around here just as well-just in a smaller package.
06-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #19

When I first bought my kx, I had grandeur ideas of becoming a semi pro. I bought some glass, and upgraded to the k30.

Life happened, and since that first year with the kx (previous year with a Canon s5is) I find that I rarely get out shooting. I'm a landscape kinda guy, not really into photographing much else. And with that requires time and money to travel to locations worthwhile (IMO) for shooting.

Then come all the great stories I've heard and photos I've seen from mirrorless, m4/3, and p&s.

I also get out once/twice a year for hiking/backpacking in the mountains and appreciate what a smaller kit could do for me.

My question is, if I traded out for a say a Sony rx100, Ricoh gr, or a Nex what am I loosing?

I would say that the ability to add filters (ND and CP) are high among my list of musts as well as being able to set the shutter speed. A lot of my photography revolves around waterfalls-and I strive for the milky flow.

Occasionally I like to shoot birds in my backyard as well, so a zoom would be nice but not top priority. (I say this bc if I understand correctly-the GR and rx100 don't have a zoom?)

Thanks
I've been using RX100 for almost two years (almost since its release), and K30 for one year. For me, these cameras are very much complementary. RX100 has similar image quality and the range of application as K30 with a kit lens, but it is much smaller and easily fits into a pocket. It is very easy to carry it everywhere without the need for a camera bag. It is a well built and easy to handle camera, especially if you attach a grip (there are several available) it can be easily held with one hand. It does not have an OVF, but the new RX100iii has an EVF. RX100 has good implementation of in-camera HDR (much better than K30), and sweep panorama function can often (but not always) be used instead of wide angle lens. RX100 has a zoom lens (not fixed as mentioned before) with the range of 10.4-37 mm (28-100 mm equivalent). Sony's implementation of macro is unusual, it is restricted to the wide angle end of the zoom scale. An additional nice feature is a very quiet (almost inaudible) leaf shutter.
K30, on the other hand, has been my camera for telephoto work (with 60-250 and 400mm lenses), and macro. For these applications, it is clearly superior to RX100, and to other possible alternatives (e.g. superzooms).

06-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Although I'm not one to claim that sensor size is the end all (having come from FF Canon back to Pentax and not regretted it at all), if there is one situation where you don't want to work with micro sensors (or even m4/3rds) it is serious landscape work. Nothing beats large sensors for color depth and a sense of reality when it comes to shooting classic landscapes. In reality, the last vestiges of large format film photography will be landscape because, frankly, digital still isn't there yet. Not that the K-30 is going to create Ansel Adams images, but it will come a far cry closer than any m4/3rds or the RX100 (a sensor 1/3 the size of the K-30). That said, quality optics are essential to get the most out of the K-30 sensor.

I see that you shoot with the 16-45 - which is also my everyday lens. This is fine for all kinds of casual shooting, street scenes, mood photography. It isn't adequate for serious landscape work. I don't know which m lenses you have - probably only the 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4 are really capable of yielding quality landscapes. (I have a lot of m lenses and used to sell them back in the day - so I have a pretty good idea.) Find a decent prime - perhaps the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm - and find out what the sensor is capable of yielding. I'm not dismissing the Ltds. - just indicating that a minimal investment before trying a Ltd. is a good idea if you are thinking about jumping ship. In any event, the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm at least matches anything Pentax offers in UW IQ unless you really value the smaller size - the 15mm Pentax is a fine choice if you really need super-compact.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 06-20-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: More on lenses
06-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
In any event, the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm at least matches anything Pentax offers in UW IQ
I am finding this to be the case as well. That Rokinon 14mm surprises me every time I use it!
06-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This all sounds like GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) to me. A new camera or new system isn't going to fix your motivation to go out and shoot for very long, maybe as long as it takes for the "new" to wear off but that's it.

Get up earlier in the morning, or get used to walking a little in the dark. Go out without your camera, just go out to enjoy being out Take the family with you on weekends to the parks and hills and wild places. Then use your kids to help carry your equipment. Cut the excuses, stop giving in to minor inconveniences, and make do with what you have until you've really explored.

I'm building my own K30 lighter-weight foot travel kit, and am leaning towards a 15ltd and a da70 in addition to my sigma 28mm and possibly a 55-300WR with an AF teleconverter. It's all fun for me though, no hopes of going pro though it does chap me a little when I go past the art galleries in town and think "I can, and have, done better than that!"

Life happened, and since that first year with the kx (previous year with a Canon s5is) I find that I rarely get out shooting. I'm a landscape kinda guy, not really into photographing much else. And with that requires time and money to travel to locations worthwhile (IMO) for shooting.

I also get out once/twice a year for hiking/backpacking in the mountains and appreciate what a smaller kit could do for me.

You make some great points. Don't get me wrong-the waterfalls in the finger lakes are my passion when it comes to photography. They are what actually got me into photography to begin with. And I love the finger lakes and the views that I get to see when I have the opportunity to take some time away. I think I worded what I said incorrectly.

However, they aren't at the end of the street and most are about an hour away. Add that I very rarely shoot in mid day, so my options are weekend mornings. (I don't want to hike out a creek in dark). Those mornings are increasingly hard to come by. I might be close by these great scenes, but life has it way of me pretty much going to work and going home to be with family-without much time in between to stop and look around.

If I were to replace the k30-I would still want a camera that could capture the beauty around here just as well-just in a smaller package.
06-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Although I'm not one to claim that sensor size is the end all (having come from FF Canon back to Pentax and not regretted it at all), if there is one situation where you don't want to work with micro sensors (or even m4/3rds) it is serious landscape work. Nothing beats large sensors for color depth and a sense of reality when it comes to shooting classic landscapes. In reality, the last vestiges of large format film photography will be landscape because, frankly, digital still isn't there yet. Not that the K-30 is going to create Ansel Adams images, but it will come a far cry closer than any m4/3rds or the RX100 (a sensor 1/3 the size of the K-30). That said, quality optics are essential to get the most out of the K-30 sensor.

The OP mentioned hanging his/her photos on the wall. My assumption is that the smaller sensor size will make blowing up photos large enough to hang more challenging. Scream at me if I'm wrong.