Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10d Viewfinder issue-help please

I have a question about the viewfinder in the K10. I have read in several articles and in several posts on this site that the viewfinder is very "bright and clear". I finally got to take my new K10 out for some shots in the daylight (I work overnight and this is sometimes hard to do) and I noticed something.

To me, the viewfinder seems quit dim. When I looked at a white gravel road or the sky there is also what appears to be several hundred little black dots all over it. Maybe dots is the wrong word...its more of a 'texture' really. Its not to terribly distracting but its also not what I would describe as bright and clear. The Nikon d300 I tested in the store (now that I remember) had a much brighter viewfinder.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is mine just defective or is this normal for a Pentax viewfinder. I am coming off of a Canon Reble XT and it did not have this texture issue.

Also, one other question. I cant quite tell if my diopter is set correct. Will a messed up diopter setting actually make you take blurry pictures?

Any help you can give would be great. Thanks.

Bokeh

Last edited by Bokeh; 05-04-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: change of phrase
05-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #2

Matte screen...

which helps You to focus manually- brightness is not all, functionality matters IMO :-) And also as all viewing with modern lenses is made at maximum aperture visual brightness depends on glass in use: with F/1.4 it is superbright and with consumer grade F/5.6 it is... as You guess 4 times darker- this is optics, not a viewfinder here- and no camera can help here (except P&S with gained up LCD view).
Best and happy viewing through eyepiece, JR
05-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #3

A. The focusing screen on the K10D is matte. I suspect that's the pebbly look you're talking about.
B. Set the diopter so the lines on the screen in the viewfinder are sharp. The diopter has no effect on the picture unless you're manually focusing and the diopter is off. Then you'd manually focus incorrectly.
05-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys, the matte screen is what I was talking about. Didnt know it was supposed to be that way.

05-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #5

Personal "DUH-LORI" story here ... I was having issues with a dim VF, even posted something here about it ... I could barely see the EV information, and it was driving me nuts.

Then I realized .. it was only happening when my sunglasses were on ... Took off the sunglasses and voila - problem solved.
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
Personal "DUH-LORI" story here ... I was having issues with a dim VF, even posted something here about it ... I could barely see the EV information, and it was driving me nuts.

Then I realized .. it was only happening when my sunglasses were on ... Took off the sunglasses and voila - problem solved.
For a moment there I thought you were going to say you took off the lens cap
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For a moment there I thought you were going to say you took off the lens cap
Nah. With the lens cap on the green numbers are really easy to see.