Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K7 to what?

I have about $500 to spend and want to move up from my K7. I love it but there are a few things that bother me, same as what others have complained about, namely higher ISO noise in photos. I am having a daughter in a few months and lighting is not always going to be great and noisy shots are not what I want. I have also hit a couple of car museums and lighting is not the best there either resulting in a few shots that just could not be edited to look good.

So, with that in mind, I am looking for suggestions. I use a lot of manual focus lenses and although I have a few AF lenses, I usually keep them on manual. I do not use all of the settings in the K7 but that does not necessarily mean that I never will. Natural step would be a used K5 in good condition, right?

06-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
I have about $500 to spend and want to move up from my K7. I love it but there are a few things that bother me, same as what others have complained about, namely higher ISO noise in photos. I am having a daughter in a few months and lighting is not always going to be great and noisy shots are not what I want. I have also hit a couple of car museums and lighting is not the best there either resulting in a few shots that just could not be edited to look good.

So, with that in mind, I am looking for suggestions. I use a lot of manual focus lenses and although I have a few AF lenses, I usually keep them on manual. I do not use all of the settings in the K7 but that does not necessarily mean that I never will. Natural step would be a used K5 in good condition, right?
The K-5 series of cameras is a good upgrade path, as you'll see a pretty big jump in image quality. It'd try to secure a new K-5 II or IIs. The latter is available for $699 at B&H and less elsewhere (as low as $644 on Amazon), so if you sell your K-7, you should be well within budget. I'd go with a new camera for the peace-of-mind of warranty, lack of QC issues with that specific model, the fantastic low-light AF, and the added sharpness from the filterless version. If you go for second-hand for either of these models, you'll be under $550. A second hand original K-5 would be under $450.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K5 would seem logical, but there's a heck of a deal on the K50 right now.
06-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Forum Member

I have a k-5IIs and it is amazing. The high ISO availability blows me away. I can't really compare it to a K-7 as I have never used one. I got a K-30 for my wife, and minus the more plastic build quality, it really is similar in use and photo ability to my K5IIs.

The reason I bring all this up, is I just saw the Adorama deal on the new K-50. I mean $421!!! If I only had $500 and wanted a new body...that is a crazy deal what with the k-50 being the new upgrade from the K-30. I would think the the k-50 would be a powerful upgrade from the k7 in autofocus and ISO.

06-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I went to a K-50 only because the K-5II wasn't [isn't] in my price range in Australia, and I won't buy grey market for Pentax gear.
The K-50 is excellent and the IQ beats the K-7 for sure. I've never been unhappy with with ISO on the K-7, noise isn't that bad to me and removing chromatic noise while leaving the speckles is nothing to be ashamed of. (Look at you're old film images and see what we put up with back then)
The things I miss with the K-50 are the top LCD (I really miss this!), the mag'alloy build/feel, the bigger battery and the quieter shutter and dust removal mechanism, (oh, and the mechanical SR for movie mode, not that it's a great loss anyway as Pentax DSLR movie recording IQ is crap).

EDIT: I have no intention of selling my K-7 though. It's still a very good camera and I leave my 55-300mm on it.
06-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-5 series of cameras is a good upgrade path, as you'll see a pretty big jump in image quality. It'd try to secure a new K-5 II or IIs. The latter is available for $699 at B&H and less elsewhere (as low as $644 on Amazon), so if you sell your K-7, you should be well within budget. I'd go with a new camera for the peace-of-mind of warranty, lack of QC issues with that specific model, the fantastic low-light AF, and the added sharpness from the filterless version. If you go for second-hand for either of these models, you'll be under $550. A second hand original K-5 would be under $450.
I kind of want to keep my K7 though. The ist DS I have has an IR conversion on it so it is pretty specialized in use now. That leaves me with nothing as a back up. Plus, having something like the K7 as a second body for shows or races would be great, especially since I use primes mostly. That means second hand from KEH would probably be the ticket. I have bought from them a few times and they have never disappointed. The only thing that throws a wrench in the whole thing is the sweet deal on the K50 going on now. I know that I will lose some functions available in the K7/ K5 and gain some that I will never use, like scenes, but from what I have read, the noise reduction is superior and the sensor better in general. I will miss the topside LCD display though. I have gotten used to that going from DS to K7.

I understand the piece of mind in buying new but it is not in the cards right now.
06-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think if you have a K-7, you should stick to the K-5 line of cameras. The ergonomics of the K-50 are worse IMO- but you're right, the current deal is a steal. If you sold the accessories you could probably end up with the camera for just north of $300.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #8

K-5's are rugged. I would not hesitate to buy used from a place like B&H. They actually give them a rating, so you almost know what you are getting. Visit the site snapsort.com and you will be surprised. It will help you to make up your mind. The K-5 actually scored higher than the K-5II and the K-5IIs. I have had my K-5 for a couple of years and I just can't say enough good about it.