Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ruby be in da house! It's crystal red, grin, shutter count is about 3600, so far, so good, but I didn't get to do much, battery wasn't hardly charged, and I don't have the adapter as yet, shrug. It's charging now. I'll play with it some more when it's done. It's really gorgeous though. I'm totally in love with this camera's looks, that's for sure. It amused me to realize the camera has GPS. I've never understood that why a camera needs GPS?

06-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #32
Pentaxian

The K-30 doesn't have GPS, you need the O-GPS1 accessory. But, PICS!!!!
06-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I think this will look totally great with the K-30 don't you think?
Absolutely cool strap! No sense buying "the dress" without the proper accessories, eh?

Steve

---------- Post added 06-27-14 at 10:22 AM ----------

I've never understood that why a camera needs GPS?
So that the whole world will know where the photo was taken the minute you upload it to Flickr or wherever. More seriously, for cameras used for legal or business documentation, GPS is a good thing.

Steve
06-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #34
Site Supporter

It amused me to realize the camera has GPS. I've never understood that why a camera needs GPS?
The O-GPS1 can be used for astrotracing. It uses the SR system to move the sensor for exposures up to 5 minutes without star trails...

It's also useful for birders like me who report bird sightings to eBird.

06-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will take some pics of and with the K-30 this week sometime. First off I have to dig for that strap. It's stored in a miscellany storage box in a storage box pile in my spare room that has like 12 more boxes in front of it at the moment. I'll have to move those boxes and look through the whole box of stuff I packed away to find it actually. I didn't think I was going to need it till Fall at least so I put it away. It's in there somewhere but it will take me an hour to move it all and find it most likely.

Second I'm waiting on the battery adapter. It's been shipped separately unfortunately. I can't do much shooting with just one battery and no adapter for my rechargeable ones. I think I'm going to order some Halcyon ones. I do want the generic adapter just in case I need it traveling but I want a full kit of regular ones to use first. They're easier to store than the rechargeable ones. It's a little iffy buying batteries in the Summer but I think I am going to anyway. As generics go I like those and they have a good deal going on on Amazon for them right now. 4 plus a regular charger and a car charger for like $30. That's decent. They're usually more even without the chargers. I have a set of 5 for my Oly and they're actually better I think than the one that came with. That will give me 5 batteries and that's enough. That's what I usually like plus I'll have the AA adapter if I absolutely need it.

Besides which it won't be my dime. I have to order some stuff for the car from Amazon. Dad told me to use his card and to go for it if I wanted to grab a set of batteries for the K-30. I showed it to him and I think he's impressed with it, lol. He always loves cars that are sporty and red. He took one look at the K-30 and said" D- That little camera thinks it's a Ferrari!" Usually I show him a camera and he just shrugs. This one's color and styling really made him sit up and take notice! LOL

I'm going to play with it some later tonight. Battery is charged up and I want to put it and the lens through some more tests before I swap and put on a better lens than the kit lens. There's a few new scene modes I want to try out for one. I don't usually bother too much with all that but there are a couple of them in there that I could swear are new and that look rather interesting to me. I wish I could go outside to shoot more but with the heat and the sun being as intense as they are I can't. Till Sept the only shooting I can really do outside is night shooting and studio work. I might make a trip over to the zoo come late Sept though. I haven't been to the one here and it might be fun to take the K-30 over to take some pics of the animals. Or maybe I'll take it to the big cat sanctuary. They allow photos on certain days...
06-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First pics, just some tests of normal stuff, around the house, the cats. I was quite impressed given they were taken with the kit. My house is very dark, particularly at night. Love that AF assist. I sure missed that from the K-7...

Some hatboxes in my sewing area, a very dark corner....

Text shots... (MMMM, chocolate!!!!)

Lily in my office, with only a desk light.

Loki hanging out on the cat chair. This chair is their chair. It's the only one in the house they're allowed to tear up. This, their little cat condo and the cardboard scratchies are "legal" for them to do their thing on. Anything else they scratch and they are IN BIG TROUBLE!!!! Yes, it does work to give them a crappy chair of their own. They don't generally scratch elsewhere on purpose. They're both pretty good about it actually...

Just shooting in auto mode to test the camera. Not trying too hard really. Just want to make sure the lens works okay before I store it for later sale. I'm going to swap to something a bit better than the kit in a bit here. Not too much post but some. I really didn't have to do much except sharpen a little and adjust the levels and saturation a bit. I need to check what it's set on actually. Colors were a bit muted. I think it's on the less saturated mode maybe...

Loki I think I took like 20 shots of him and this one was the only one where he didn't come out like a ghost, glowy. I don't understand why he does that. His fur is weird. I can swap lenses, cameras, it doesn't help. Sometimes he's nearly transparent. My pure white cat was easier than he is to photograph. Lily too though she can be harder to get because of her black fur. He drives me nuts, trying to get a good shot sometimes. He does move a lot, but I think it's his fur color mix or something. Unless the lighting is perfect and there is plenty of it this cat goes all Casper on me. I've photographed hundreds of cats and I've never had to work as hard as I do with him. He is my first Red Point Siamese though so maybe that has something to do with it. Photographing The Little Hellion it's just plain tricky....

Last edited by magkelly; 06-27-2014 at 05:54 PM.
06-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I take it you are in love already. Your black cat looks an awful lot like our ezzy
06-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh yeah. My only regret so far is that I'm still waiting on extra batteries and and the generic battery adapter. Having only one battery right now kind of sucks. So far so good though. I've just been adjusting the settings to my liking and taking pics of random things. I just swapped out to my Sigma short zoom. That's my usual go to lens for general shooting. I'm going to play some more tonight when I have time.

06-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #39
Site Supporter

MY original battery keeps on going a long time after it says it is close to depleted. I went out with family thought I had my adapter in my bag. I did just not the bag I had with me. I turned the K-30 on and said it was low. I still shot all day. Tourist shots, I was visiting FL . I make sure the adapter is with me now. AA's are easy to find, but useless without the adapter . I am considering a second battery as well It just seems to take forever for them to charge.
06-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a 4 pack and charger of these for my little Oly. They're actually better than the Oly's stock battery and they are not expensive. I just got the same pack only with the batteries for the K-30. I like to have about 5 batteries charged and ready to go usually. This is a pretty good deal if you want to expand your capacity. They went down a bit actually since I got them for my Oly. I think I paid closer to $40 for those. They're running about $30 for the 4 pack now with 2 extra chargers.

Amazon.com : Four Halcyon 1400 mAH Lithium Ion Replacement Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax K-50, K-500, K-r, K-30 Digital SLR Cameras and Pentax D-Li109 : Camera & Photo
06-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You know what? The more I play with my K-30 the less inclined I am towards getting the K-5II. I cannot think of one thing I I need that I am missing out on by having the K-30 and in some ways I think this camera might actually be better for my needs. It's still WR, it's nice and light (Unlike the K-7 I borrowed which weighed a freakin ton, I swear!) and the AF is dead on, darned good even in hardly any light.

Shooting with the K-30 is a joy. This camera is worth every penny. I'm totally impressed. It's much better than I thought it would be. I honestly think I'd eventually rather have 1 more of these than a K5II and given I could literally buy 2 K-30's for the price of one K5II I just might. Not just yet. I want to grab a WR lens first I think, but maybe early next year I'll pick up another red K-30 if I can or maybe a white or blue one.

I have a feeling that the K-30 is going to be the digital equivalent of a Spotmatic II for me. I'm going to end up with a few of them, you watch. Might take me several years but in the end I'll have at least 3 of this model of DSLR on my shelf. The more I play with mine the more I absolutely love it. I can definitely see me using one or more of these for years to come.
06-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter

I didn't think it would take you long to fall in love with it. It took me a while to fully love the K-30. Like till the battery was charge I threw on a kit lens I had laying there Walked into a very low light room and it focused almost immediately. I took the shot and was sold .
Thanks for the link. I may look into a set shortly.