Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Congrats on getting your red K-30. I liked that one too when I first saw it online but ended up getting a crystal blue one as it was on sale at the time and with an extended Canadian warranty.

06-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I've been sitting here reading the user manual for about the 100th time. It's a good thing I am well acquainted with Pentax DSLR's and know it's not as complicated as the rather, cough, lengthy manual makes it out to be. Otherwise I'd probably think I needed an engineering degree to operate one. :P
06-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #18

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on your purchase, you've been patiently waiting for the right moment for a while. I can feel your excitement for Friday from here. Enjoy!
06-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats! I have the exact same crystal red K-30. After nearly 16k shutter cycles it is still running strong. When I was shopping for mine I also noticed that the black, blue, and white colors were more expensive than red.

06-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a red Q10 on Friday and it should arrive this Friday. I didn't really want a red one, but that is what was cheap on Amazon.

One thing I hate about Amazon free shipping though. They use UPS SmartPost, the USPS does the delivery. Which means it takes a day longer than if they had just given it to the USPS in the first place. The package is in Syracuse now, having been shipped yesterday from Maryland, but they haven't given it to the USPS yet.
06-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't want free shipping for this one. It's super hot right now and heat is not particularly good for electronics. The less time it's en route the better. Free shipping it would have taken 5-7 days, maybe longer with a holiday coming up. I wanted Fedexp and usually if you order 2 day it's Fedexp. I trust Fedexp a little more with several hundred bucks of camera than I do UPS or USPS. UPS dropped the two vinyl Tonner dolls I was expecting off this afternoon. They were so hot they were going a bit soft. UPS crushed the box besides. I was too pissed. Fortunately they were okay, but I was really scared there for a sec that the either the heat and UPS had ruined them. Last thing I want is them treating my K-30 like they just treated those dolls. Usually I don't ship anything major from June through Sept. That's one reason I wanted to wait till Fall but then I saw the red beauty and the price was right and I caved. I'm worried about it though, shipping in such hot weather.
06-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Woo! Hoo! I have a K-3, but always wanted the crystal red K-30 too. That is one cool camera!

Steve

06-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Speaking of camera straps. I almost forgot about this. A while back my one teacher's wife gave me this very classy red rose and black embroidered camera strap as a gift. I just loved it but I decided that the strap was going to be kept nice for first use with my K-30 of K-5II, whichever came first. I think this will look totally great with the K-30 don't you think? I don't know where she got this one. I've seen this maker's straps sold in several places but here's the same strap on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWHVVZ6/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
06-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

congrats!

but I can't understand the part where you waited for so long and save $28 but decided to shell out $12 for shipping just to get it earlier...don't know about you, but in my place the day difference between 'prime' two days shipping and regular free shipping is not more than 2 days.

the math just doesn't make sense to me.... anyway, enjoy !
06-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
congrats!

but I can't understand the part where you waited for so long and save $28 but decided to shell out $12 for shipping just to get it earlier...don't know about you, but in my place the day difference between 'prime' two days shipping and regular free shipping is not more than 2 days.

the math just doesn't make sense to me.... anyway, enjoy !
It does when you live in a tropical climate, it's high Summer, when it's 100 plus degrees most days according to the heat and humidity index. I would have spent that $12 to ship it regardless this time of year. It's freakin July and it's been hotter than usual this year, or so it seems anyway. Like I said above I got 2 dolls today that I swapped some work for and they were physically soft when they arrived. FYI, to get a vinyl doll of the type that I collect that soft they have to be in sustained heat, to a boiling level for a good long time. Now imagine a good camera out in heat that bad for a week or more. Amazon free shipping generally tends to take 5-7 days to here, not including Sundays or holidays. It's bad enough that it has to be shipped now but I'm not adding insult to injury by letting it take a week.

It's a major holiday weekend coming up. July 4th is next week. Likely I'd have gotten it before but then again I might not. Mail could be delayed. My carrier has just had his summer vacation, I think, but people go away a lot in July and that includes postal employees. It can slow things down a bit mail-wise. I definitely wanted the camera well before the holiday so that when I went out I could get used to using it and try it out. My ex roomie is having a BBQ and they have a good view of the fireworks from their roof terrace. I can't go for the whole afternoon, way too much sun and heat for me, but after dark I'd at least like to make an appearance and maybe take some pics of the fun.

Buying this camera at all wasn't really planned for just now. I wanted to wait until things cooled down a bit again at the end of Sept. But this one was red and too good a deal to pass up. I was casually watching this one because I had not seen a red one with a lens for anything near that. But I wasn't sold really until they dropped it. That drop took care of the tax basically and made it a lot more affordable for me. Amazon is charging tax now so that matters. I'd have paid more like $405 with the tax sans that drop.

So I did save a nice chunk of change by waiting a week to buy it. Plus I have a lens to sell or trade that I might pick up $35-40 for. It's not just a body for that. That's even more $$$ off what I paid for my K-30. By the time I sell my 2 kit lenses I will probably have $75 towards the balance on my K-30 or $75 to put in Hello Kitty for the 18-135 WR lens I want to go with. Every little bit counts.

Most of the K-30 kits I have seen have been well in the $575-1000 range and I just can't quite afford that right now. I need to spend no more than $700 for my K-30 and 18-135 WR kit before I am done to stick to my budget. I've just spent $375 minus what I can get for my 2 kit lenses. (Probably $300 when I've done that.) That leaves me with $400 I could spend on the WR lens. I'm actually hoping to catch a sale or a used lens later this year and maybe even pay a bit less than that, $325-350 maybe, but even if I have to buy it new I'll have that $$$ to work with. $400 is about as low as I've seen it so that's what I am aiming for. That's the goal anyway and that's why it took me so long to grab a K-30.

I do need at least one decent WR lens, for work. The 18-55 is a bit too short for work. I'd rather have the 18-135 because that's the range I use the most for portrait work but if I can't afford that then I'll probably settle for the 50-200 for a while. I could get by with that because I don't really shoot wide all that much. Having the wide end of things covered would be nice but it's not nearly as essential for me as the 50-135 MM range would be.

Most of the better WR lenses are well out my price range. My options are pretty limited compared to a lot of people. Not having one WR lens in that range it's hurt me in terms of the work I can do. That's why this camera had to be WR. I get a lot of offers to shoot people on the beach and I really can't take them and not risk ruining my gear. The K-x really just wasn't quite up to the abuse. The K-30 will be a bit more so, but of course I need at least one WR lens.

This place it's hot, humid, and sandy. It also rains a lot during parts of the year. You can get caught in an unexpected downpour very easily. I don't really intend to intentionally shoot a lot in the pouring rain WR notwithstanding, but it would be nice to be able to shoot at the beach and so forth and not have to worry quite so much, to be able to keep shooting when it starts to drizzle at least. To not have to worry quite so much about the heat and humidity doing damage to at least one of my work lenses. Fungus is totally the enemy here. I do have dry boxes etc but still I figure a WR it just might have a slightly better chance at not being infected than my regular ones?

I understand the 18-135 WR lens is very decent indeed and it suits my work range admirably. Ideally I'd like that plus the 55-300 WR to cover my preferred range completely but I don't know if I can swing that for a while. I need a second body more than I need that second lens. If work picks up a lot this year I might pick up another used body and one WR lens. But a second lens will have to wait till next year and you can bet I will be penny pinching the whole time. $25-30 bucks it may not seem like much but it's helpful to me nonetheless.
06-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Congrats, Mag :-) I was seriously contemplating the blue model, but ended with plain old black for my K-30... I really am enjoying the camera, though, and when you get that 18-135 I am sure you'll love it. That was the combination used 95% of my Alaska trip and any bad pics are my fault, not the gear's...

Jim
06-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't put a lot of importance on the looks of a camera, but I think the K30 is the sexiest looking camera Pentax has ever produced. Especially in red! The K30 is a great camera! Congrats!
06-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It does when you live in a tropical climate, it's high Summer, when it's 100 plus degrees most days according to the heat and humidity index. I would have spent that $12 to ship it regardless this time of year. It's freakin July and it's been hotter than usual this year, or so it seems anyway. Like I said above I got 2 dolls today that I swapped some work for and they were physically soft when they arrived. FYI, to get a vinyl doll of the type that I collect that soft they have to be in sustained heat, to a boiling level for a good long time. Now imagine a good camera out in heat that bad for a week or more. Amazon free shipping generally tends to take 5-7 days to here, not including Sundays or holidays. It's bad enough that it has to be shipped now but I'm not adding insult to injury by letting it take a week.
oh. OK.
understand, I don't order films in the summer too due to the heat they will get leaving in the mailbox.

Enjoy your camera!
06-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's not near as much important as what it can do, but I still like my cameras to look stylish too. That's one of the reasons I never got into a lot of the plastic fantastic cameras that were out in the 80's and 90's. I like true retro, SPII's, KX's in black in particular turn me on, but I don't like most of what they did later in film cams and I don't even like the "standard" design you see for most DSLR's. To me almost every black DSLR on the market looks the same. One may be bigger than another or have more controls but ultimately they're too similar for me. It's pretty boring. It's like the parade of very similar cars that everyone seemingly bought there for a long while. Only very recently has car design taken some interesting turns again. (I'm a classic cars fan. I particularly like 30's, 40's and 50's vehicles and 60's Volkswagons. Conversely I get turned off immediately looking at a 90's style sedan...)

The K-30 is definitely a love it or hate it camera. So is the K-01. I personally love the design of the K-30 and loathe the K-01 with a passion. But that's me. I like the assertive styling of the K-30 because it's anything but boring. In colors, and in red in particular, it's down right gorgeous I think, a complete head turner of a camera. That little banner I made with the lipstick and the "OH!" was made as a joke but that's what I first thought when I first saw a red K-30. OH!!! It was just so different it really caught my eye. I've been kind of coveting that one ever since.

I fully meant to get a K5II first, maybe two even, but I always figured I'd end up with a K-30 one day eventually though maybe not in red. As it turned out the photo gods must have heard me the first time because they totally ignored my "Now be practical!" side and sent me the sexy little camera I really wanted first, lol. I'm going to call it Ruby probably. Sexy cam needs a sexy sounding name and it does look a bit like it belongs in a boudoir setting, no? I mean to keep it classy, hence the fancy strap, but I do want to have some fun with the accoutrements for this camera. This camera is not exactly what you'd call a "proper" DSLR is it?

The K-30 is definitely a Vroom Vroom Boom Boom Camera. It's a little sexy show off. (Sounds a bit like it's new owner, grin.) I do plan on playing a bit with that. It's the perfect camera for me image-wise actually. It can go from Oz to Goth to Boudoir very easily. I think people will get a kick out of seeing me use it, particularly if I accessorize it accordingly.

I don't see why being both sexy and professional can't be possible. This is freakin 2014. I should be able to use a camera that isn't basic black if I want to. I'm already going against the herd mentality thing using a Pentax. Why not go all the way and use a ruby red K-30?

Last edited by magkelly; 06-26-2014 at 12:13 PM.
06-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"On FedEx vehicle for delivery..." Yeah baby!!!!