Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
rubber port cover durability

What's the durability like on the little rubber port covers?
My laptop doesn't have an SD slot, so the only way to get pictures off the camera to it is with a USB cord, but i'm somewhat paranoid about the durability of the cover. Granted, i don't yank on it or anything, but i really don't want it to fall off. Currently USB transfer is a last ditch option for me when my iMac is not available. But if i don't have to worry about the cover, i'll use the laptop a lot more often for photos.

06-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think fairly good, the ones on my k-5 and k-3 seem well made and I had no problems with earlier cameras. But if it is a concern why not get a USB memory card reader? Just a little stick with an SD card slot in the end. Cost is likely less than $10. I used one on an older laptop that had no SD slot until I upgraded to a laptop that has a slot.
06-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But if it is a concern why not get a USB memory card reader?
Be sure that it is compatible with current high capacity cards.

Steve
06-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
i have a couple and neither are comparable with SDHC cards. that and i'm cheap. Yeah, 2k in camera gear, and won't spend 10 dollars on a reader. makes no sense i know.

06-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry about the durability of them. Still haven't seen any of the rubber, o-rings, seals, gaskets, plugs, etc. fail or show any sign of aging/corrosion/lack of staying power. To include the K-7 and battery grip seen in this video (the K-5 I no longer have for unrelated reasons).

And that was two years ago - I've had MANY "WR" incidents lately, including a 4 hour photoshoot yesterday. Here's a teaser image from an animated .gif I made for the upcoming 18-135 WR review here on PF. For the full animation you'll have to wait until the review

Name:  IMGP9541.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  630.1 KB

Don't worry about it, however do make sure that you close the flaps deliberately each time. Or just get a card reader - you can get them cheap on eBay for literally $5 including shipping.

-Heie
06-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I wouldn't worry about the durability of them. Still haven't seen any of the rubber, o-rings, seals, gaskets, plugs, etc. fail or show any sign of aging/corrosion/lack of staying power. To include the K-7 and battery grip seen in this video (the K-5 I no longer have for unrelated reasons).

PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube

And that was two years ago - I've had MANY "WR" incidents lately, including a 4 hour photoshoot yesterday. Here's a teaser image from an animated .gif I made for the upcoming 18-135 WR review here on PF. For the full animation you'll have to wait until the review

Attachment 227689

Don't worry about it, however do make sure that you close the flaps deliberately each time. Or just get a card reader - you can get them cheap on eBay for literally $5 including shipping.

-Heie
After having read of your "WR" exploits, it makes me wonder if you have been incredibly lucky with your cameras or if the people who have reported failures have been even more brutal with their cameras

Steve