Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #1

New technology for camera

Well this is my OWN idea so don't kick or blame me about it lol

Thunderbolt interface!!

Well this thing is only use in Mac computers but it can simplify the interface that pentax have. D810 have only 2 interface which are USB 3.0 and HDMI. Thunderbolt can do more than both. Well I heard this from one engineer that if the camera support thunderbolt cable and system, then it can use any HDD or SSD without any memory card and take pics without any buffer or delay. (just imagine as a mini gun. mini gun= camera, Ammo box= SSD or HDD)

so what do you think about it?

06-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a little background on Thunderbolt.It is a combination of the PCIe and DisplayPort created by Intel. So to have this Thunderbolt interface on a camera, the camera needs to have a PCIe bus internally. I don't think that this is the case. Most, if not all cameras are built around a SoC System on a Chip, thereby eliminating the need for such a large PCIe bus. The PCIe bus is used for interconnecting major peripherals in a computer system, and is somewhat expensive in terms of power. The DisplayPort in overkill for a camera. Remember that dSLRs are handheld portable embedded computer systems running off a rather small battery. There is an emphasis on the words - "handheld", " portable", "embedded". But, who knows - I could easily be wrong. Canon with their next big announcement, could have just such a beast....

06-26-2014, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I stopped reading when I read "Mac".
06-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Same.

06-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless we start taking multi-gig photos, the difference in speed between USB3 and thunderbolt is pretty irrelevant; and thunderbolt is ridiculously expensive by comparison.

So far as power requirements and so on go, though, I don't think it's any worse than Firewire was, and that was a big deal on cameras, or at least video cameras.

I'm curious - has anyone here ever actually used the HDMI port on your camera? I think I did so once just to test it. Is it useful for anything besides putting a slideshow of unprocessed photos onto a television?
06-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Is it useful for anything besides putting a slideshow of unprocessed photos onto a television?
On the D810 it is useful, as it allows for uncompressed video capture during recording. However, this is mainly for hardcore videographers...

As for the thunderbolt idea: number one, Apple needs to be left out of the equation, and number two, size would probably be an issue. Processing power has been the limiting factor for a while and even the latest processors are just barely fast enough to deliver good performance with today's increasingly-larger sensors (i.e. the K-3 and D800). There just isn't enough space or battery power for more...plus heat would also become an issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I almost turned away for the same reason. Who knows what kind of NEW connection interface apple is going to use next year? Don't want to waste my $ there.

But actually Thunderbolt is developed by Intel, only used by mac first, making us believe it is a mac interface.
06-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Same.
I was hoping to wait until the silliness around Photokina to restart my ignore list, alas it wasn't to be.

06-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Me to