Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #1

A nice value for money macro lens for K10D

Hi everyone.

I'm researching macro lenses for my lens buying plan.
I dont do a lot of macro now, but I want to continue doing it and explore more of that flavour of photography.
Therefore, I'm looking for nice macro lenses, but on the cheaper side (I dont know how serious I want to be about macro).
Unlike many other kinds of photography, with macro you can/must take some time with each shot. Therefore I'm considering fully manual lenses as well.
So far I've seen that the FA 100mm macro is a nice lens, but a bit too $$$ (for my use). I've also read that the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm F2.8 or 3.5 are nice (dunno the price).

BTW, should I look at lenses that have a 1:1 ratio, or dont bother and get some adaptors or extenders (whatever is called...)?

Any other decent macro lenses, zooms preferably (or maybe not, ideas?), should I look at? Any unknow but good performers? I'm thinking under $200.

05-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
Hi everyone.

I dont do a lot of macro now, but I want to continue doing it and explore more of that flavour of photography.
Therefore, I'm looking for nice macro lenses, but on the cheaper side (I dont know how serious I want to be about macro).
Unlike many other kinds of photography, with macro you can/must take some time with each shot. Therefore I'm considering fully manual lenses as well.
So far I've seen that the FA 100mm macro is a nice lens, but a bit too $$$ (for my use). I've also read that the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm F2.8 or 3.5 are nice (dunno the price).

BTW, should I look at lenses that have a 1:1 ratio, or dont bother and get some adaptors or extenders (whatever is called...)?

Any other decent macro lenses, zooms preferably (or maybe not, ideas?), should I look at? Any unknow but good performers? I'm thinking under $200.
Perhaps consider the Sigma 70mm EX DG f2.8 macro. It's a 0.91:1 macro (better than 1:1), incredibly sharp, and also serves as a beautiful portrait lens. Just picked one up myself (~300$) and love it. Dual purpose lens without the need of bellows, extension tubes, or magnifying filters that all degrade your shot.

c[_]
05-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi everyone.

There are a couple of options, and some advice

Don't get too excited about AF macro lenses. Macro is a subject where you need to be in full control of the focus point, and MF, in my opinion may suit you better.

As for low cost macro lenses, you might want to look at a SMC-M 100mm F4 macro. It goes to 1:2 without extension tubes, and you can get a set of extension tubes to go past 1:1. I prefer the 100mm because youo are further away from the subject to get the same magnfication ratio.

I would not recommend a vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5. This is not because it is a poor lens, quite the contrary, it is an excellent lens but has two serious drawbacks for macro. It lacks a tripod mount on the lens and at 2 pounds it is very heavy to support from thecamera's tripod moung, second it suffers from zoom creep due to it's optical design and weight of the front group. it will not hold a focal length or focus point when vertical.

You should also look at a set of close up lenses. They are useful in getting close even if you don't get 1:1.

Overall, if you play the used market, you should be able to get the macro lens, close up lenses and extension tubes all for a little over $200. You might also want to add in a MF 50mm. They don't need to be fast, and you should get one for about $30. Just watch out for filter sizes, and get a filter step up adaptor so you only need one set of close up lenses.

You also need a tripod, because with the very narrow depth of field, you cannot hand hold the camera at the correct focus point.
05-05-2008, 05:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replys.

I wasn't looking at the FA for the autofocus, the reviews are just very good.
I agree total control might be best for macro.
The M, with the lower price tag seems better than the FA.

What about zoom lenses? They'd be very convenient, specially for macro outdoors.

BTW: Got a tripod.

05-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for the replys.

I wasn't looking at the FA for the autofocus, the reviews are just very good.
I agree total control might be best for macro.
The M, with the lower price tag seems better than the FA.

What about zoom lenses? They'd be very convenient, specially for macro outdoors.

BTW: Got a tripod.
Zooms are good for flowers and close ups (i.e. not true 1:1 macro) and more convenient as a walk around lens.

There are so many zooms that close focus, I would not even attemot to answer which one. Look at what zooms you have, what ranges you are missing, and then start your comparison
05-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I'm happy with my Sigma 105 F2.8. $389 on Amazon
05-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #7

I have a Sigma 28-80 AF that goes 1:2 and was quite inexpensive.
Less than a hundred, brand new.
There are Lots of choices available to you depending on $$$ to spend.
If you want to go manual focus look for a Kiron 105 f2.8 macro.
Goes 1:1 on 35mm film bodies and is razor sharp.
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If not the beforementioned Kiron lens, look for the Tamron 90/2.5 (52BB) adaptall lens, yes it's 1:2, not 1:1, but it draws so nice, you should enjoy it.
The P/K-adaptall mount i got for it works nice, so always consider this $30ish mount when considering lenses.

05-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

another wote for Sigma 105 f2.5
not as sharp as 70 but it has less PF. overall great lens