Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Moire - K5IIs , K3 owners only

How does Moire affect your decision to take a certain picture and how do you deal with it in general once it is on a picture ? I mean do you avoid taking pictures of certain subjects for fear Moire will appear on them ? What happens when Moire appears in one of your pictures. Do you quickly hit the Delete button, or do you try to fix it in Photoshop.

The other day I was out with my camera, a Canon 30D with 8 megapixels, anti-alias filter and all and I decided to take a picture of a house with aluminum siding. I took about 8 pictures of this house from the same spot, but at different angles. For some reason some pictures showed moire while others did not. Also after downloading the pictures, if I increased the sharpening moire would begin appearing on the pictures sans-moire pictures and if I decreased the sharpening the moire would decrease on the with-moire pictures, but not totally go away.

Another time I took pictures of my sons graduation. After downloading some of the pictures I could clearly see Moire on his graduation robe. Not sure how it got there but I do remember applying a lot of edits including sharpening to these pictures. Removing the moire was hell ! I spent a good part of weekend working on getting it out.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 06-27-2014 at 02:05 PM.
06-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot both the IIs and the K-3. I shoot a lot of birds. Moire is easy to provoke if the feather structure is fine enough and the sensor is perpendicular to the feathers. One learns to try to take a bird shot from different angles with high resolution/small pixel pitch APS-C sensors. Granted, this is not always possible. Color moire is easy to remove in post-processing. It is the pattern moire which is more difficult. The K-3 has the distinct advantage of selectable AA so if you are worried about moire, I would dial in the AA filter at the strength of your choosing and shoot away. Yes, you will lose some resolution but then again, if you are shooting a wedding, you do not want all those skin blemishes anyway.

Jack
06-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot both k3 and k5IIs and I have never seen any moire with either. Guess it depends on what you shoot.
06-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I shoot both the IIs and the K-3. I shoot a lot of birds. Moire is easy to provoke if the feather structure is fine enough and the sensor is perpendicular to the feathers. One learns to try to take a bird shot from different angles with high resolution/small pixel pitch APS-C sensors. Granted, this is not always possible. Color moire is easy to remove in post-processing. It is the pattern moire which is more difficult. The K-3 has the distinct advantage of selectable AA so if you are worried about moire, I would dial in the AA filter at the strength of your choosing and shoot away. Yes, you will lose some resolution but then again, if you are shooting a wedding, you do not want all those skin blemishes anyway.

Jack
Worst-case, you can also use software corrections to remove moire- the K-3 includes this feature in the playback menu, and you can also do it via photoshop, etc.

See here for some examples:
Pentax K-3 Review - Moire - PF Reviews

Moire will appear in different spots when comparing the K-5 IIs and K-3 side-by-side, as the K-3 requires finer details in the image to provoke the effect. I don't do much birding, so I typically just leave the AA filter simulator off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've gotten a little bit of moire on my k-3 shooting cityscapes. I don't think I've caused it otherwise, on people or plants or animals. I'll check my photos and post here if I find otherwise.
06-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Moiré occured sometimes on my birds pictures with the K5iis; that was a reason to ugrade to the K3, as higher pixel count - inducing higher pixel density - will reduce risk of moiré.
On the K3, never noticed moiré. Most of my pictures are shot with the FA*600 but stopped down at F8, cause this is the sweet spot of this lens. I guess this is enough to have slight diffraction blurr that prevent moiré. AA filter is always off.
06-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Strange to say, but I've never noticed moire on my K-3.

Maybe that reveals how bad my camera craft is. I must be consistently using the wrong lens or aperture or shutter speed, so that there is always sufficient blur or softness to disguise any moire. I'll have to lift my game.
06-28-2014, 03:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I have taken approx. 3000 shots on my K5IIs since I got it, and only noticed moire on about dozen shots.
Actually, I had to look hard to find it. Obviously, it depends on type of subjects one photographs.

06-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have just over 45K shots in my Lightroom catalog taken with the K5iis and I've only found moire in a handful of them. It's more or less a complete non-issue for me.

I've seen a few shots that other people have posted that have wild and crazy moire but they are typically shots of things with very small repeating patterns like fabric and vinyl or office buildings that are off in the background of a shot. I've seen a few bird shots that have moire in them as well.

It's not hard to fix in Lightroom and it happens very, very rarely so it's no where near as much if a concern as the internet made it out to be when the camera was first announced.
06-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #10

I have taken about 5000 photos with the K5iis a lot of birds, and only one has had moire this disappeared when it was enlarged on the computer,

this hasn`t been mentioned on any site that i have visited,it could be one of.

Jack.
07-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monty69 Quote
I have taken about 5000 photos with the K5iis a lot of birds, and only one has had moire this disappeared when it was enlarged on the computer,

this hasn`t been mentioned on any site that i have visited,it could be one of.

Jack.
Noticed the same thing with a fabric pattern on the K3. It really was not moire affecting the photo file or fouling up the demosaicing, but just in the computer screen. It disappears when the screen is zoomed.

---------- Post added 07-20-14 at 08:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Worst-case, you can also use software corrections to remove moire- the K-3 includes this feature in the playback menu, and you can also do it via photoshop, etc.
I found it interesting that the writer of Picturecode Photoninja (which has a superb demosaicing function) includse in one of the tutorial files a small rant about manufacturers who remove the AA filter. I don't think the demosaicing software writers want to have to deal with moire. They claim it fools the demosaicing algorithms, and its effects cannot be removed.

Personally, I have not had a problem with it yet, but at 24mp, it would take a very fine, regular pattern that I have not yet encountered. I did not notice it even in hummingbird feathers taken with a DFA 50 macro and flash, but the movement of the birds, even in flash, may do the same thing as the AA filter simulation.
07-20-2014, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not sure why DP Review tried to scare the be-Jesus out of people with their pixel peeping tests. I bought the camera anyway after reading the review, based on what I read from the owners. I used to get Moire with cameras that had the Anti Aliasing filter especially when I over sharpened in Post Processing. Ever since I got the K-5 IIs I haven't used USM or any other sharpening tool, there is no need to.
07-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

speaking of Moire and the AA filter simulator on the K-3, what are the type 1 and type 2 choices supposed to mean?