Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

K100D Focus Screen

Can anyone tell me the correct model number for the original focus screen in my k100d?

Is it L-60 or LL-60 or L-80 or LL-80? Cannot seem to find info on it in the manual.

Secondly, have any of you used one that is more effective or helpful?

I heard of KatzEye but they are expensive.

Thanks

P.S. I am asking because mine, which I bought used, seems to have what looks like a hair in the lower left rising above the info display. Probably a small scratch. I tried compressed air but it does not remove it but aside from this, there is no dust specks, and nothing appears on any images that I take.

Would you leave it alone or replace the screen?

06-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The original is the L-90, none of the replacement screens Pentax sells will fit because officially the K100D does not have a replaceable screen. Of course the screen can be replaced and there are many non-Pentax options available. I put a split prism in my K100D, it is nice for focusing makes spot metering useless. My K-5 has a Canon S-type cut to fit by focusingscreen.com and I like it a lot.

Have you removed the screen to check for debris?

Also, be very careful with compressed air in a camera.
06-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The original is the L-90, none of the replacement screens Pentax sells will fit because officially the K100D does not have a replaceable screen. Of course the screen can be replaced and there are many non-Pentax options available. I put a split prism in my K100D, it is nice for focusing makes spot metering useless. My K-5 has a Canon S-type cut to fit by focusingscreen.com and I like it a lot.

Have you removed the screen to check for debris?

Also, be very careful with compressed air in a camera.
Elliott, thanks for the reply.

Is there any Pentax film slr that used the same focus screen or has a focus screen that would fit the k100d?
06-30-2014, 03:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cut down screens from the old film P30n for my several K100D
the split diagonal is really nice but over sized and does screw the metering as said above.
got a sander ?
now have Ee-s in K-5 series

07-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by whistlebird7 Quote
Elliott, thanks for the reply.

Is there any Pentax film slr that used the same focus screen or has a focus screen that would fit the k100d?
The only directly compatible screens are other DSLRs, the K200D, K-m/K2000, K-x and K-r.

I do still have my original K100D screen somewhere, it should be in perfect shape.
07-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. Do you happen to know the model numbers of the focus screens for those cameras by chance?

If not, I will look them up.

Good that you still have a k100d leftover being that they seem to be scarce.
07-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by whistlebird7 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. Do you happen to know the model numbers of the focus screens for those cameras by chance?

Good that you still have a k100d leftover being that they seem to be scarce.
They are all the L-90.

If I can find it and it is good I'll sell it to you, I have no plans to change back.

07-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
They are all the L-90.

If I can find it and it is good I'll sell it to you, I have no plans to change back.
Thanks. Let me know the particulars when you are able.