Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 05:49 AM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
So all these folks that just buy on price/features/benefits reasons - how come y'all don't have Samsung cameras? You can't tell me that whatever badge is on a camera doesn't have some caché. I figure most cameras are pretty similar at similar price ranges. But I wouldn't be caught dead with a Nikon or Canon around my neck.
Most folks out there in the world at large have accumulated a batch of stereotypes about: the car/suv a certain type of person drives, the camera that a "good" photographer would use, the genre of movie specific sexes appreciate, the kinds of food certain races eat, and etc. etc., and their brains react to these assumptions without any reasoned input. I take a certain amusement in subverting their suppositions.
Oh yeah, and I'm one of those photogs that for the last 30 years has been putting black tape over the logos of all my stuff, just to confuse judgemental people a little more. And I know what you're going to say, "if there's tape over the label why wouldn't I wear a Nicanon"? Because I would know what's under the tape, and I just can't picture myself as one of "them". And yes, I'm operating under my own stereotypes, I'm just a contradictory person, and I like it that way.

I did have a Samsung GX-1S, and it was great, but I wanted a K10D/GX-10(I didn't care which) so I sold it to raise money. I wish I could have kept it and added a K10D/GX-10, but I simply couldn't afford to. And I would have bought either K10D or GX-10, but the less expensive of the two that I could find at the time I was buying was the K10D, by about $70 USD. I would have bought a Samsung GX-10 and been just as delighted. Ditto the GX-20. I have no problem with the Samsung v. Pentax question. So if Samsung DOES introduce a FF model(as rumored), AND I'm in the market for FF model(I don't feel like I NEED a FF DSLR, but I suppose that could change), I wouldn't have a problem buying it.

05-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This week I took my K10D to class and got a fellow student, admitedly annoyed at Canikon salespeople, to be non-conforming He told me about his quest to find a decent camera in anticipation of the birth of his twins. I handed over the Pentax, explained a few things to him, he took some shots and said "This feels like a real camera. I love it!" :P
05-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
Noncomformist...maybe / maybe not.

--> I ride a 30 yr old m/cycle (I'm 30 too) which rides great and has taken me to the toughest of the terrains at altitudes exceeding 15,000 ft with no issues.
--> I drive a SUV with th least electricals (similar to the Gelandewagon of the late 80's)
--> and a Pentax K10D (Canikon muppets shrug off by the name)

I was looking for a good value for money D-SLR and I stumbled upon Pentax. Some more research into the brand convinced me about the lens compatibility, weather proof, SR etc. So I ended up buying it and have already kick started my LBA..:-)

As much as i love Linux, my wife hates it, 'cos she just doesnt know to use it..:-D

Cheers
Nish
05-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #64
Forum Member

I'm a BIG research guy. I tend to always go for "the most bang for the buck". That was why I bought a Pentax PZ-20 way back when. It is also why I'm going to purchase a Pentax DSLR in the near future. I have absolutely nothing against Canon or Nikon.....if money were no object I would probably own a top of the line Canon.

I'm also big on certain "features" that I want. When our family was looking to buy our first boat I had concerns about our very large but very shallow lake. I also had concerns about the kids playing in and around the boat. I did a ton of homework and we bought a 21ft. YAMAHA twin jet engine boat. It can run in 2ft of water (after plaining out) and has no exposed propeller for the kids to swim into. It also had more interior room than the competition and it cost less to boot.

Another bonus to a Pentax DSLR: It's probably the best camera I can use in the boat and not worry about it getting splashed.......for the money.

05-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #65
Not Registered

I dont like the beatles. Besides two or three songs they crack my nerves. I think that it has to do with a conditioned rejection to anything that has to do with McCartney. Besides the McCartney factor I think that they had talent and that they are way overrated. But it is just an opinion

Regarding the OP topic, I am not with you, I am a sheep.
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #66

Some people want to fit in, others to stand out. Some buy Canon, others buy Pentax.

I fly control line model airplanes. How's that for standing out!