Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nonconformity

It's only been about six weeks since I chose the K10D over the D80. My decision was based solely on features. But I often find myself choosing the underdog. I think it's because the underdog has to try harder to compete. I think that if people would properly research things, they would see that the most popular of anything is rarely the best.

I drive a Kia. It had better options than the Honda or Toyota, and it was a lot cheaper.

I use Linux. It's just a better OS, and it's free.

I type Dvorak. Why would I want to type on a random matrix of letters (qwerty)?

Who's with me?

05-05-2008, 06:06 AM   #2

I know people who choose something because it's more expensive. And, I know people who choose something because it's cheaper.

I drive a 10-year old Nissan. I use Windows Vista. I type on a Qwerty keyboard, although I have typed Dvorak, because I'm not always at my keyboard.

I bought my first DSLR from Pentax for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure what "features" would be exactly but I don't think that was it.

I bought my Nissan because it was a low-mileage used car that met my needs.

I use Windows Vista because it works well for me and Linux doesn't.

Why would I want to conform with you?
05-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't believe...

The Borg when they say, "resistance is futile."

Especially with the same camera and subject each photographer will have a different photo produced
05-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's face it, every one who is not a canikon owner is a non conformist. The reasons as to how we each got there are not important.

But this does not mean that we all carry on in life deliberately making selections simply to fly in the face of public opinion. It is dangerous to deliberately set out making decisions based upon being identifyably different. Just as dangerous in fact as always having the leading edge technology.

My decisions are based upon what I want, and what I like, sometimes they conform very well to others, some times they don't, but each decision is made logically, and so far it has served me well. I have been a pentax owner and user for 27 years. I get the photo's I want, have a kit that I am largely satisfied with, and do many different things with my cameras.

edit note, I'm not with you

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-05-2008 at 06:29 AM.
05-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
It's only been about six weeks since I chose the K10D over the D80. My decision was based solely on features. But I often find myself choosing the underdog. I think it's because the underdog has to try harder to compete. I think that if people would properly research things, they would see that the most popular of anything is rarely the best.

I drive a Kia. It had better options than the Honda or Toyota, and it was a lot cheaper.

Who's with me?
I researched and found the K10D to be the best value for money I don't go for cheapness or exspensivness just what works best for me
05-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Who's with me?
tell me how your Kia is 10 years down the line

Linux is not for the feint of heart, to actualy take advantage of it in a way that would make it worth the hassle over windows, would require computer programming knowledge. Otherwise its just Windows that doesnt run photoshop and video games.

i have no clue what Dvorak is,

no, i'm not with you.
05-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
MrA

I use a trackball, not a mouse. I agree diversity is a good thing, so long as we still have common standards.

05-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
But this does not mean that we all carry on in life deliberately making selections simply to fly in the face of public opinion. It is dangerous to deliberately set out making decisions based upon being identifyably different. Just as dangerous in fact as always having the leading edge technology.
I should clarify something. I'm not a nonconformist for nonconformity's sake. I don't shun the popular just to be different. I simply don't accept things at face value. I don't take other people's word for things. I research things on my own and come to my own conclusions. More often than not, it does not involve what's popular. However, I use mostly Dell PCs, so there.

I don't plan to keep the Kia past 100,000 miles. I've had two cars experience catastrophic failures just after passing the 100,000 mile mark. and one was a Honda.

Had I known this thread was going to generate so many negative comments, I wouldn't have started it. Alas.
05-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I beat you there. I still have fun with my 1987 Yugo GL in summer time, The motor is just 1100cc and I can get about 45mpg. When I bought it, I paid $3700.00. That was cheap.
05-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I dont know that I'm a non-conformist. I dont make choices to be different. I make choices because I deem them to be optimal despite what popular opinion may be. I dont own an I-pod, but I own a honda product. *shrug*
05-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Maybe it hasn't anything to do with conformity or non-conformity, but rather that Pentax users may be a bit more aware regarding what they spend money on. Not that Pentax is totally superior, but in a certain large Norwegian forum, you don't really often see "Pentax vs. Nikon Y"-threads, it is "Canon X vs. Nikon Y" all the way.
Bothers me quite a bit, as it does with other things.

The Pentax community got me thinking about the Siemens community, which was in many ways quite similar to this site. All the others bought Sony Ericsson and Nokia, I went with Siemens twice (even though I have a Nokia now, as Siemens went out of business, sadly).

Things that not so many like is cool, basically, but not just for the sake of it. I listen to black metal because I think it is good, the "coolness" is a bi-effect.
05-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
Maybe it hasn't anything to do with conformity or non-conformity, but rather that Pentax users may be a bit more aware regarding what they spend money on.
best point I have seen made here
05-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I still like the Beatles.

Jas
05-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
tell me how your Kia is 10 years down the line
It should be just reaching the end of it's 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, I'm thinkin'.
05-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I still like the Beatles.

Jas

who dosent like the beatles?