Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
No problem, details as follows

1. 148mm F4.5 ISO800 1/250 sec

2. 148mm F4.5 ISO1000 1/320sec

3. 500mm F6.7 ISO640 1/640sec

4. 500mm F6.7 ISO640 1/640sec

All were with spot focusing and EV. and the SR was on.

I tried to get the head in focus (and the eyes accordingly) but for some reason the camera was too slow to react.

As you can see, the ISO was quite high, any higher and the image would be too noisy.

I did try AF-C,. AF-S and Manual, but nithing came out right (in manual, my eyes and hand are not the best against AF............

Ok now we're getting somewhere.

one thing I can see possibly is vertical shake causing the focusing sensor to move off image.

I have a lot of hand holding trouble, when shooting long shots, with vertical shake. in an image like the otter, as you move above the subject, the focusing spot is concentrating on something further back. A mono pod really helps here.

Also, some of these look cropped, how big is the otter in the origonal? just a question.

the other point someone made is that you may have pushed all the way through the focus to release the shutter, prior to getting focus.

05-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Is anyone else frustrated with the Pentax AF?

I took a number of images today with the K10D and most have come out blurred on the subject matter. I did switch to manual but the subject (otters) was still blurred, as they were fast(ish)

The focusing was hunting far too much for me, I even tried to focus on a point and wait but to no avail.

The ISO was set high to allow a fast shutter time, but did not make much difference (apart from noise).

How does everyone counter the problem of this, is there any pointers to make me happier?

I love my Pentax as it is perfect for still lifes/Landscapes/Macros etc, anything that is not moving, but if it moves, the AF is POOR.

Now I know that Pentax is not the best AF in the world, and is far too slow, but it is a pain. If there is a way to get moving subjects sharply, please let me know, as I don't want to invest in a system with fast AF just for moving subjects.

Oh BTW I was complimented on by CaNikon users on the colours that the Pentax can produce, so want to keep my mighty Pentax accordingly and not go over to the Dark Side.

Help on moving objects would be appreciated
The difference in speed is not that great, and the K10D focuses faster than the entry-level bodies from other makes (in case you think of switching to that).

If you really CAN'T take any decent focused pics with the K10D, I can assure you the problem is not the camera. People started taking action shots long before AF came along - learn it first, then you can blame the equipment. And excuse me if I'm being harsh

Edit: now looking at the pictures, with the exception of the moss, nothing looks too sharp. You've got something wrong going on, shake or something in the lens (anything in the front element causes loss of contrast, don't know if it could blur things). Are you sure about those shutter speeds? Are you shooting JPEG, what is the camera sharpness setting?

Last edited by ricardobeat; 05-06-2008 at 06:21 PM.
05-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
In reply to Steve's (stevebrot) comment:

If that's the case, it kinda begs the question why Pentax decided to incorporate continuous (AF) on their DSLR's in the first place ?

Best regards
Richard
See quote from previous message. This is the behavior I was referring to...

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi offertonhatter

It has been my experience that when the K10D is switched to continuous AF mode, the internal workings of the camera go into a kind of 'hyper-active' dithering mode. The electronics / optics seem to find great difficulty choosing precisely what to lock onto, whilst never entirely succeeding !
Cheers,

Steve
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #49
Veteran Member

oddly enough, i recently shot an otter, as well, but i had a much easier time.

personally, i think it's all just knowing the animals rythm, and getting in synch with your camera, yourself, and the animal

05-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #50
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
keep tryin

Attachment 11862

Attachment 11863

Attachment 11864Attachment 11862

the k10d can do it,moving subjects no trouble here

Last edited by trumpyman; 05-10-2008 at 11:32 PM.
05-07-2008, 04:37 AM   #51

what lens ?

Excellent..!!!

What lens did you use trumpyman ?

Cheers
Nish
05-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Which AF mode are you using? The continuous mode simply does not work for tracking moving objects.

Steve
Rubbish! I've taken hundreds of images using continuous, tracking objects that are going very, very fast and it's worked extremely well.

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
On #2 there the moss in the background is in focus, the others are not so easy to tell for me
I noticed that too. I'm wondering if it's a lens problem? Or SR trying too hard?

05-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #53

offertonhatter.....were you shooting through glass or perspex?
05-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Niether, only some wire fencing. I did get some sharp images, but on the whole I tried to get a focus point, but it did'nt work.

I think more practice is going to be needed for moving objects. Or maybe the lens I was using is clearly not up to the job. The other pictures were with a different lens.
I did use the same lens for a seal shoot back in November, and they were fine, but the seals were not moving at the same speed.

The Lens? A Sigma 170-500mm

BTW the sharpness setting for JPGs was set at sharp for all the pictures, and the shutter speeds stated are correct.

Thanks for all your input guys.