Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To sell or not to sell...

I recently purchased a K10D to upgrade from the K100D Super. Now I'm struggling with the decision of whether or not to sell the K100DS. I certainly don't 'need' two camera bodies...but it's just a great camera and I know even with the K10D I would miss it.

I was just wondering if there are any experts out there with some words of wisdom for me. I have a buddy who is just getting into photography, and he is considering buying it from me. Even if I end up keeping it, I would certainly let him borrow it to see if he really wants to get into photography, and if he does, whether he would want a Pentax or not. On the other hand, I'm not sure I would ever get any use out of it having the K10D...so the smart decision would be to sell it and put that money towards a good lens right?

Any advice would be great...

05-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I never sell anything, although a long time ago I felt that a minimum of 2 bodies was a good thing.

The principle reason no longer exists, that was to have 2 different types of film.

Now, with digital, I still find two bodies is useful, but I am not sure you have the right 2.

People always talk about having a back up, and the K100Super would do that fine, but I also like to have different capabilities in the back up, and except for 3200 SIO, yoou don't really have anything different between yoru two cameras.

I also have a K10D, but upgraded from *istD. I kept the *istD not only for 3200 ISO, but also because it could meter better with manual lenses, AND it supports TTL flash, which allows for flash photography with manual apature lenses (of which I have 8.

That performance is very important to me. So not only do I have a back up, but it is a back up with different capabilities and uses, it is more a use specific body as opposed to a back up
05-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't sell it.
K100D has better high ISO performance then K10D. Plus it's smaller and lighter. And it's as good as 6mpx DSLR could get! If you don't want to use it. Keep it on the shelf, give it to your wife or kids but bear in mind backup body will be always handy. And I don't think you can get much better backup then K100DS!
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am certainly a packrat, so it wouldn't be hard to sway me into keeping it. My wife might give me hell, but the money that I would get for the K100DS would probably go toward a lens anyway. I'm still torn but I appreciate the advice!

05-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

depends

It depends if you have the space and/or need the money, and the kind of photography you do.

I feel a little exposed going on an expensive trip with just my K100 and 2 lenses, having lugged around 2 Canon bodies and 5 partly overlapping lenses for so long. Certainly with Pentax especially you can't just go down to the corner store a pick up a replacement camera. But if you mainly photograph around home and aren't doing something where failure would cost you in one way or another, you might be happier with an extra lens instead of the spare body.

I have looked for a spare body but the prices are very high now - $300-ish used. I might spend that much for a used Super, only because the new cameras are so expensive.

Incidentally I haven't quite come to sell the canon stuff - just been too lazy to try. Amazingly some people are still buying FD stuff, but they aren't paying that much for it.

Paul
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At this stage, I am still classifying myself as a beginner hobbyist. I certainly didn't need to upgrade to the K10D, but i held one in a store and it just felt better. I plan on taking some photography classes and eventually possibly shooting weddings/sporting events. That's my goal at least. So, it might be beneficial to hang on to the K100DS for future use. And I can benefit my buddy by letting him borrow it to see if he really wants to get into the hobby more than he already is. I have a feeling I know the answer to that....especially after playing around with the K100DS!!
05-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #7

I think I will sell it and buy a lens.
05-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by siruami Quote
I think I will sell it and buy a lens.
Now there's and idea...

05-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K100D Super, like other K100D-class cameras, can easily be used for near infrared photography by simply adding a proper IR filter to your choice of lens. The K10D and K20D can't be used for IR photography without expensive and irreversible conversion of the filter over the image sensor. No problem switching a K100D-class camera between IR and regular shooting.

The K100D Super also has lower noise than the K10D in high ISO shooting, due to larger pixel sites on the sensor. There may be times when that comes in handy. If I had one, I'd keep it!
05-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd keep it. I sold mine when I bought my K10D and regretted it almost immediately.

Now when I sold my K10D to fund my K20D, I didn't regret that. I wasn't in love with the K10D like I am with the K20D and was with the K100D. YMMV.
05-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I think you should keep it. I have a k20 but still have my k100 and love it. I keep the 18-250 on it almost all the time and it has become kind of my p and s.
Although not pocket size it is pocketbook size and I bring it everywhere.
05-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
I certainly don't 'need' two camera bodies...but it's just a great camera and I know even with the K10D I would miss it.
Having two camera bodies is nice.

I'm thinking that you probably can't get more than about $300 for a used K100DS these days although I personally feel it would be worth more than that.,

Finally........ See my tag line.

Ed
05-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds like you've all made up my mind for me. I appreciate all the advice. I have decided I will let my buddy borrow the K100DS for a week with the 18-55mm lens (of which I had one spare). After a week he should know whether or not he wants to get more into the hobby than he already is. Like I said in an earlier post...I think we all know what the outcome will be....a brand new DSLR and LBA to go along with it.
05-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanLoc78 Quote
Any advice would be great...
If you financially "need" to sell the K100D Super then sell it. If not, keep it.

I have two K10D bodies for work and an old DL that I use as my compact DSLR. Unless I'm cropping my images heavily or printing 16x20 and larger I don't see the difference in my final prints between the K10D bodies and my DL.

The DL is lighter, smaller, has better high ISO performance, and uses AAs that I can find almost anywhere. I sometimes wish it had SR but I can live without it since I did for many years with other cameras before VR/IS/SR.
05-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't need to sell it. I actually sold something else in order to get the K10D, so I was never at a financial loss....even the K100DS was a gift. This thread has definitely helped me make up my mind to keep it.