Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Hi Cupic

Members of this Forum promise to treat you gently from now on. Now where on earth did I put that pair of 'kid-gloves' ?.......lol ! DSLR users often assume that because the "Auto-Focussing" process is an automated one and sounds utterly fool-proof, it is necessarily 100% accurate, which regrettably is NOT always the case in some instances. As 'Outlaw' correctly pointed out regarding the sheet of white paper, due to the contrast-based nature of the auto-focus system in your camera:

QuoteQuote:
the AF sensor often cannot find anything on smooth white paper to target.
Another instance where you may run into auto-focus problems is if you ever need to photograph a subject in close-up detail (Macro Photography). Due to the extremely narrow/shallow DOF (Depth Of Field - or in-focus area) involved, it is advisable to switch-off the auto-focussing system altogether and resort to manual-focussing, which should give you far greater control over what IS and what ISN'T in focus. The subject of problematic auto-focus issues has been done-to-death in this and other forums concerning some Pentax DSLR models. Naturally there are a number of dissatisfied users out there, whilst others are less affected. It rather depends on what field of photography you are interested in, but with the release of the faster-focussing Pentax SDM ("Supersonic Drive Motor") range of lenses, I believe this matter is gradually being addressed.
Hope this info helps somewhat ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-06-2008 at 06:11 PM.
05-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom C Quote
I've just read on dpreview that the K10D has auto focus problems, and one must calibrate each of his lenses to properly focus by downloading new firmware, and then going through a long list of instructions.

Is it true that each K10D owner has to do this in order to get the camera to focus properly with different lenses? I have never heard of such a thing. If true, can't Pentax make a repair that makes the camera able to auto focus with all lenses? Thanks for your replies. Tom
I don't think the camera has an AF problem. On the opposite, I find the AF pretty reliable, and it's said to be more accurate than AF systems of competing brands (though not faster).

There is a problem with lenses, however. With every camera and/or lens manufacturer. Some just slip through the QC, other may get de-calibrated during transport or whatever.

EVERY camera and lens manufacturer seems to have these issues, have a look at the respective forums.

Further on, you can not calibrate the K10 for various lenses AFAIK, but only generally for all lenses. With the K20, you can (this is a very unique and pro-level feature, by the way).

It's relatively easy: Check each lens thoroughly while or after buying, and return it if AF is not perfect.
That's the only golden rule for lens purchases for every camera system.
05-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote

It's relatively easy: Check each lens thoroughly while or after buying, and return it if AF is not perfect.
That's the only golden rule for lens purchases for every camera system.
Good advice Noisychip - makes buying lenses from overseas a little more problematic though in terms if sending back if there is an issue.
05-08-2008, 01:13 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Hi Noisychip

Re your statement:

QuoteQuote:
You can not calibrate the K10 for various lenses AFAIK, but only generally for all lenses.
If you have v. 1.1 of the firmware installed on your K10D, there is a facility to calibrate both the back-focus & front-focus parameters, thus enabling the owner to address potential out-of-focus issues. Subsequent firmware updates v. 1.2 & v. 1.3 had this feature disabled for some reason, but it seems it has been reactivated on the K20D. At least, that is as far as I understand matters. Hope this helps to set the record straight.

Best regards
Richard