Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2014, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
Not for the K3/K5, see above for both the Katzeye explanation and the focusingscreen.com site, showing one clip holding the focusing screen, and a *second* clip holding the shim. This is perhaps why folks don't think there is a factory shim, when in fact, there is.
I have changed the screen on my K5 several times. There was a factory shim, meaning one that came with camera and the stock screen, but it comes right out. Open the frame, take them out, the frame is empty. They are just loose in the frame.

There may be a little tab in there or something that sits in front of the very top of the shim to help keep it from flopping around when you're putting it in there, but there is no clip, nothing movable, and certainly nothing that would "hide" a factory shim. It is quite obvious whether there are shims in there or not...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 07-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.
07-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Not for the K3/K5, see above for both the Katzeye explanation and the focusingscreen.com site, showing one clip holding the focusing screen, and a *second* clip holding the shim. This is perhaps why folks don't think there is a factory shim, when in fact, there is.
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I have changed the screen on my K5 several times. There was a factory shim, meaning one that came with camera and the stock screen, but it comes right out. Open the frame, take them out, the frame is empty. They are just loose in the frame.

There may be a little tab in there or something that sits in front of the very top of the shim to help keep it from flopping around when you're putting it in there, but there is no clip, nothing movable, and certainly nothing that would "hide" a factory shim. It is quite obvious whether there are shims in there or not...
Yeah, it would be pushing it to even call this a clip, much less a locking mechanism.
07-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, but all the data I have seen refutes that. In fact, ignoring the Katzeye description that mentions another clip mechanism holding the factory shim, here's the focusingscreen.com page specifically talking about front focusing on the K3/K5 and how to replace the factory shim, providing clear photos shown the additional clip holding the factory shim
That is my memory as well from when I did my S-type screen install. I did not do a thorough check to see if a factory shim was installed. I was in a hurry to do the transplant and close...no sense fiddling around if there is no need.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-09-14 at 06:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Yeah, it would be pushing it to even call this a clip, much less a locking mechanism.
The question is not what it is called. Rather, it is whether it retains a shim. Did you actually check your K-3 to see if it has one or (like me) figure it was not worth the effort if the focus was good? I will admit ignorance in the matter, but do agree that it makes sense to have one by default to allow for greater distance with a thinner shim. A body without a shim (possible) would represent the edge of allowable tolerance in that case.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-09-2014 at 06:36 PM.
07-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #49

Original Poster
Well, the focusingscreen.com website has, on photo P7, as I pointed to earlier:

"<P7>Enlarge to see,red arrowhead is lock,yellow arrowhead is open direction"

It is just arguing semantics, as Stevebrot said, so it really doesn't matter whether you think it is a lock or not. Both focusing screen providers seem to think it is, regardless of your assessment. I'm trying to keep the information in this thread as factual as possible, because, so far, there is more useful information in this thread than anywhere else on the net about shims and the K-3.

07-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I'm trying to keep the information in this thread as factual as possible
Me too, and if someone who is changing their screen for the first time goes looking for this "locking device" only to find a little tab instead, they may be confused or think their camera is missing something.
07-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Me too, and if someone who is changing their screen for the first time goes looking for this "locking device" only to find a little tab instead, they may be confused or think their camera is missing something.
Ta! Da! DogLover wins by getting the last word!!!

Oops...sorry :o

Struck out because it was unseemly. Truly people...what difference does it make? There is photo evidence of some sort of retainer (clip, lock, tab, name your term). It is unclear whether there is usually a shim present on the K-3 and nobody has presented proof positive one way or another. Not that it makes any difference one way or another because the argument is seriously off-topic.

The bottom line is that if you discover that your screen position is out of calibration and you don't have an assortment of shims available for the adjustment, you will have to make your own because Pentax is not going to sell them to you. Seems simple enough.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.
07-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
[S]Ta! Da! DogLover wins by getting the last word!!!
Well, gosh, thanks. I'd like to start by thanking all the little people that made this possible.
07-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This one comes up again and again. The shim is held in place by a separate clip and if it simply rests on top of the focusing screen it is because it had got unclipped.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/142225-focus-adjustment-wa...ml#post1485440

07-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
This one comes up again and again. The shim is held in place by a separate clip and if it simply rests on top of the focusing screen it is because it had got unclipped.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/142225-focus-adjustment-wa...ml#post1485440
That thread is new to me. I love the photos showing both the shims (washers) and how they are held in place. The discussion is great too.

After looking closely at the photos, it would appear that it is very important to have the factory shim engaged by (under) the clip.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-13-2014 at 11:42 AM.
07-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #55

Original Poster
Yes, this was a new thread to me, too. Great pictures of the "retaining latch" holding the shim. So, our thread here is a logical followup to that one, because the shims are no longer available.

So, after buying the KatzEye, and not interested in Post-Its or scotch tape, I did the only thing that would get me a shim: I bought a focusingscreen.com S-Type screen with no markings. It comes with three shims, supposedly, and this will allow me to try both the KatzEye with the focusing aids (which I prefer), as well as the S-Type with no aids.

Someone should tell the focusingscreen.com folks that they can make some extra money by selling the shims by themselves. I haven't (yet), because there is a language barrier there, and he may actually not want to go to the trouble of international mail for just the shims.
07-14-2014, 09:17 AM   #56
Site Supporter

this will allow me to try both the KatzEye with the focusing aids (which I prefer), as well as the S-Type with no aids.
Well, there you go!

Steve
07-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #57

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, there you go!
Yeah. All I had to do was throw money at the problem. I guess it takes a while for the focusingscreen.com guys to make it; it hasn't been shipped yet. When I get the shims, I will loan one to a friend with a 3d printer to see if he can make a few more of different thicknesses. With all the talk on this forum about these, I'm surprised that someone didn't already make the STL file for one. Then, anyone could print as many shims of different thicknesses as needed.
07-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #58
Site Supporter

I will loan one to a friend with a 3d printer to see if he can make a few more of different thicknesses.
Wow! That is a great idea. Is a 3-D printer capable of that level of precision? We are talking about differences of 50-100 Ám between shims sizes.

Steve
07-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You know it just occurred to me that shims could probably be easily 3d printed, or are they too thin?
It IS a good idea...unless it won't work...
07-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might be better off having them laser cut.