Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

RAW format and Lightroom question

Couple of questions actually...

First of all, is there any benefit or drawback to shooting either PEF format or DNG format RAW files? Since our Pentaxes are blessed with both I have really been wondering about this. To my novice eyes it would seem that since most of the big programs use DNG I should just shoot in that. So why PEF?

Second question...I have pretty much decided to pony up the bones for Adobe LightRoom. Will this work as a stand alone software for all my editing needs? Seems to me it sits somewhere between Elements and the big Photoshop suite. Since I am a novice photographer and an even more novice PP user I really want a single software utility that I can spend time learning so it will get me by for a long time. Lightroom seems to be it.

Any input you guys can give to either of these would be really welcomed.

Bokeh

05-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Click on the "Search" tab and type: Lightroom. You will see many threads on this, as well as ones that address PEF vs. DNG
05-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use Lightroom and love it. It is a stand alone software. I do not use CS2 or 3, but instead use Gimp for any photo re-touching or anything that cant be accomplished in Lightroom. It's an awesome tool for file management, RAW development (and JPEG) as well as I find it's very user-friendly and fast. I prefer it over anything else I have tried and enjoy it. Also, there are some really cool websites that offer very simple Lightroom tutorials and tricks as well as free preset downloads, should you choose to make the Lightroom purchase.

I shoot in DNG instead of PEF. Why? Because it's more widely used and recognized by my software and it prevents me from having to re-format PEF to DNG later. The only upside I see using PEF is file sizes are smaller...but not enough of a concern to me to shoot PEF over DNG.

Jason
05-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #4

I shoot nothing but raw and I use the PEF files. I have nothing against DNG but no reason to use it.

I just use Lightroom for my editing but it really depends on how deep you want to get into editing. It is a nice program but is heavy on archive management which I don't need or use. I also have an old version, 4.0, of Photoshop Elements that I can fire up if I want the healing brush to get rid of a power line.

I have a friend who is a professional photographer and uses Photoshop. I asked him to advise me on editing. He came to my apartment and I have Lightroom. He isn't familiar with Lightroom. I had selected 15 raw files, each with a different issue, and showed him what I would do in Lightroom. He kept saying he could do that in Photoshop, too, of course, but when we finished he was amazed at how quickly we'd gone through the photos. He said Photoshop was more powerful, which it clearly is, but was cumbersome.

I would recommend downloading Lightroom2 beta and giving it a spin. It's pretty nice.

Here's a thirty minue video on the editing portion of LR2.
Workshops-On-Demand

Change the final p02 to p01 or p03 to see other modules.