Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ever used one of these??

Moveable Adapter Plate for 4 x 5 Large Format Camera Body to Pentax Camera K5 7 | eBay

about to pull the trigger and get one of these to use on my Toyo 45D 4X5 camera - just wanted to see if anyone on the forums has any experience using one of these rigs!
Thanks!

07-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

There have been a few discussions about that and similar devices (e.g. Fotodiox*), but no actual owners IIRC. The considerations as I remember are:
  • It is time-intensive to cover the full 4x5 frame
  • The subject/lighting may change during the course of doing the multiple exposures (I believe the number is about eight total)
  • The plate must be flipped top-to-bottom for the second set of exposures
  • Probably not able to make good use of the camera's movements since you can't use the ground glass for focus, though there may be work-arounds
  • Focusing is a bit of a problem for many subjects
  • Unable to attain infinity focus with lenses under about 90mm
  • Effective image circle is reduced due to the sensor being down a 50mm long tube
After giving it a good think over I decided to give it a pass for use with my Chamonix 4x5.

Edit: A stitching rail setup might be more useful, though you still get no movements.

Steve

* Large Format 4x5 Lens Adpaters

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-11-2014 at 06:12 PM.
07-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

I haven't used one of these but I did make a similar (but non-shifting) adapter years ago out of plywood and a lens reversing ring. It allowed me to attach my Super A to a Cambo monorail. It was certainly an interesting thing to do but I can't say I got any great results from it. I struggled to get any sharp images from it - probably due to a combination of lens sharpness, difficulty in focusing and shutter vibration (the Super A was terrible for that). It was useful for tests and experiments though. I think with digital this will probably work better due to better dampening on the shutter and more accurate focusing with magnified live view. Hopefully you've got a better lens than I had too!

I guess this is mainly aimed at people doing panoramics - is that what you plan to use it for? You have made me want to get my old adapter out but unfortunately the flash overhang of my K10 means it won't fit.

Let us know how it goes if you buy one.
07-12-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
Forum Member

I used one with my cambo ... it just for fun.

07-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the insightful replies! stevebrot pretty well nailed some of my concerns about using one of these things but no infinity focusing under 90mm wont cut it for me! the only reason i was going to get one of these is because i have an amazing 4x5 set up but just NEVER use it (i do shoot film still though!) so i thought with the adapter i would at least get some use out of the TOYO. that said - im just going to start using it. i have about 100 sheets of different types of polaroid 4x5 film to play around with too but i have only processed 3-4 good shots out of probably 25 sheets used
07-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by insulinguy Quote
no infinity focusing under 90mm wont cut it for me!
Yep, the mirror box is about 50mm deep and there are very few view cameras that can manage a 40mm from the ground glass even with an recessed lens board. 50 + 40 = 90. My Chamonix can go that short (barely), but only with a bag bellows and a recessed board.
07-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

basically, these things work better with mirrorless "full frame" cameras like the Sony A7, otherwise you will be severely limited as to focal length (generally 120mm or longer) and the amount of tilt/shift you can achieve.

This soon-to-be-released product by Cambo seems to have thought it out the best so far:

https://captureintegration.com/first-look-cambo-actus/

YMMV
Michael