Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #1

Camera locking up

Suddenly after a few months of flawless service my gx10 is now locking up. It happened a few times yesterday, I go to take a pic and the camera gives no response. The lcd screen remains lit even if you switch the camera to off. The only way to clear it is to remove the battery. I tried a second battery but got the same results. The only thing I can add was that it was pretty hot here yesterday and I was in direct sunlight when this occurred. I have a hard time thinking this is heat related but perhaps it is.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I am going to call Samsung, I'll let everyone know how their CS is.

05-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Leave it with the battery out for 24 hours and try again
05-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BeerCan,
Seems like we may have a similar problem; although with a different camera, different timeframe. See my post earlier today. If you figure it out, I would appreciate a heads up. And I will do the same for you.
Tom
05-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a lock up problem with my camera one day. It turned out to be a defective memory card. Try powering down the camera (if it will not do so via the power switch, or by being left untouched for several minutes, pop the battery out). Then remove the memory card, put the battery back in, and see if it will power up properly. If it does, power it down again, reinstall the memory card, and see if it will power up and operate with the memory card back in. I would then suggest reformatting the memory card to ensure that the file structure is not corrupt. If the problem persists (like it did with me that one nasty day), pick up another memory card and try using it. I have not had any problems since with the new memory card.

Hope this helps, if not it was something else for you to try.

Spyglass

05-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the display is lit although the switch is to 'off', that sounds like there's moisture in the cam?

The other thing I would check is the contacts of the bayonet mount as well as the lenses'.

If these don't provide contact then the camera can lock up in many funny ways. An alcohol-cleaning of both can work sometimes.

fingers crossed to get your camera going again
georg