Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Shake Reduction

Good Day:
I have had my K10d for about 6 months now and it has been a great learning experience.
What has bothered me since my initial purchase was the "Shake Reduction"
technology. I don't notice any difference if it is on or off.

For the most part, unless I am able to shoot at a shutter speed of 500 and above(handheld), more often than not my images are not worth keeping, with the Shake Reduction on or off.
In low light, it is not worth my time unless using a tripod.

Can anyone direct me as to what I can do to perform an accurate test of the Shake Reduction system, one that can let me know if it is working or not.

Thanks
Bill

The Computer Tooter

05-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before I start, please note the following points

1) shake reduction only stops camera shake, and is not a substitute for high shutter speed to freeze moving objects.

2) shake reduction generally offers improvement only up to 2-3 stops (and this is variable depending upon your technique) over the recommended hand held shutter speed for a lens, specifically Shutter speed = 1/focal lenbgth *1.5 (for a DSLR)

With the above, start with a simple test, stationary object, and a medium focal length lens (say 100mm)

Hand held shutter speed is 1/150 of a second.

a 2 stop improvement is 1/4 the shutter speed or about 1/30 (closest probable speed you can get)

Try using the Tv Mode, and change shutter speed manually perhaps on a magazine or similar, until the image gets blurry.

DO this for both SR on and SR off. you should see the difference
05-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #3

When I first got mine, I thought the same thing. Then I did a test with it on and off, and there was definitely a difference. Not a huge difference when chimped, but when you zoom in, you can see it.
05-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
I tried some comparisons, however, I don't seem to get a consistent results.
I thinks what I'll try next is perhaps a series of static pics(lettering) at the same shutter speed with and without SR. Out of twenty each there should be something noticable.

Bill

05-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #5

I just shot a 400mm at 1/15th sec. resting on a lamp post but still very shaky. I got back a shot that's sharp enough to be a keeper. (it wasn't anything interesting though... so it probably won't really be a keeper) I really love SR, and have often found situations where I notice a difference.
05-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
I just shot a 400mm at 1/15th sec. resting on a lamp post but still very shaky. I got back a shot that's sharp enough to be a keeper. (it wasn't anything interesting though... so it probably won't really be a keeper) I really love SR, and have often found situations where I notice a difference.
I've shot at 300mm @1/15, and under similar conditions. Love it too!
05-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by dvdman45 Quote
Good Day:

For the most part, unless I am able to shoot at a shutter speed of 500 and above(handheld), more often than not my images are not worth keeping, with the Shake Reduction on or off.

Thanks
Bill

The Computer Tooter
I am sure you know to turn SR off when using a tripod - thought I'd mention it though just in case.

How well the SR works can also be affected by how you hold the camera and how heavy it is. I am a "shaker" (nerve damage from an accident) and even with SR sometimes find it difficult to get a sharp shot.

With the 50-500 Bigma attached the K10 is weighty but if I handhold and anchor well enough I can get an acceptable shot at 500mm at 1/30 sec but I have to admit, not consistently.
05-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dvdman45 Quote
Good Day:
I have had my K10d for about 6 months now and it has been a great learning experience.
What has bothered me since my initial purchase was the "Shake Reduction"
technology. I don't notice any difference if it is on or off.

Can anyone direct me as to what I can do to perform an accurate test of the Shake Reduction system, one that can let me know if it is working or not.

Thanks
Bill

The Computer Tooter

I have no idea if this is your problem so I apologize if you know this.. one thing to remember is that the shake reduction isn't an instantaneous thing. You can't just hit the shutter button, you have to wait until the little SR icon (a hand) is visible in the view finder. That is how the camera tells you that SR is ready.

You say you need shutter speeds of 1/500th or more, what focal length are you shooting at?

John

05-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #9

shutter speed

When I use 2.8 lens in a average dim lit room, shutter speeds is around 1/30 to 1/15. Shake reduction works well. At 5.6 lens shutter speed drops to the point that the SR is not effective. It does not perform miracles. You shold find the shutter speed limit that you can shoot w/o SR hand held and from there check how low shutter speed can go with SR on. You should find a low limit number that you can perform consistantly.