Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #16
Pentaxian

For night shooting with long exposures, even with bright stars, it seems quite unlikely that you can damage the sensor. This is just a matter of reciprocity failure.

I get concerned shooting the sun with a long lens. At the time of the Transit of Venus in May 2012, I was determined to shoot both filtered sky shots (not a problem) during transit, as well as mixing terrestrial New Mexico shooting across the Rio Grande at sunset - not knowing if the gamble might harm the sensor. It worked out just fine - and I'm quite happy with the result:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
08-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I get concerned shooting the sun with a long lens. At the time of the Transit of Venus in May 2012, I was determined to shoot both filtered sky shots (not a problem) during transit, as well as mixing terrestrial New Mexico shooting across the Rio Grande at sunset - not knowing if the gamble might harm the sensor. It worked out just fine - and I'm quite happy with the result:
Pretty neat, interesting shot.
08-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #18

Light leakage

Thanks for the replies. I will try to cover the OVF and maybe also the lens mount with black tape but I think you're right, from reading I have done online today seems like it's light leakage.
08-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #19

Solved!

Many thanks to all. I covered the viewfinder and all solved. Funny that the k20D didn't need this but either way I'm pleased to no longer think my K30 is a dud!