Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What age group are you in?
Under 20 years 111.99%
20-29 6712.12%
30-39 9417.00%
40-49 13724.77%
50-59 12823.15%
60-69 9116.46%
70 and above 254.52%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm 51 and a microphone boom operator by trade. My last year in middle school, however, I fancied myself becoming the next HCB, Walker Evans, or Stieglitz (I was, understandably, a bit unfocused). As a result I ended up with an Electro 35 camera in my bookbag and 23CII in the laundry room. I switched cameras to an AE-1 in high school for photography classes then got rid of it all after graduation. I didn't shoot seriously again till about five years ago.

07-17-2014, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's hard for us old guys to get our walkers off a soft surface, you know...

Hell's teeth! I'm a 66 year old male engineer, so that means I'm like a 43 year-old female. Wait until I tell my wife.

Apparently, 60 is the new 40...
My husband is a 37 year old male engineer. By your logic, RobA, I'm a cradle robber - and as a middle-aged man, I'm okay with this.
07-18-2014, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JibbaJab Quote
My husband is a 37 year old male engineer. By your logic, RobA, I'm a cradle robber - and as a middle-aged man, I'm okay with this.
Whoa! I make no claim to this logic, but speaking as a middle-aged woman to a middle-aged man, I can only recite the motto of the Ulysses Motorcycle Club: "Growing Old Disgracefully"
07-18-2014, 05:29 AM   #79
Forum Member

Well well. I am 44 IT guy, Pentax is my first own camera and i started with it last year spring.
Previous attempts in photo were random "can i shoot style" with friends Olympus E620.

Yes i can, teeth are well and i run fast, specially in rampant and toward it.
And also being quite technical in mind, i have some gut-factor on decision making. So, while searching my first camera, after looking a lot of reviews comparisons and tests, i stood on market and looked that- canon-nikon-canon-nikon... Neither wasn't it. There was one white K30 nearby to Canon kit with to lenses. Blacks - (you know semipro is metal and black )- that's obvious) were sold out. I told to sales - let me see that one. It felt so good in hand, good dials and had such a nice viewfinder it never left my hand anymore and forgot to worry about white . Even fact that serious canon was 150 EUR less with two kit lenses didn't change my mind.

On age factor, it's more kind of thinking. Under 20 and even a bit older ask questions like -what generation I-biten it is? does it send SMS or can i make selfie, or leads it me out from forest. What forest- there is no forest in my tablet game!
If you need camera that does not cook or cut your fingernails, you look else. This something how you look world, what differs in 40-50 and nowadays kids running angry-birds around. Another thing is consumer factor. First cameras tend to be gift ones. And this gift tends to be some canon or Fuji compact, or Olympus PEN series if you are lucky one. And why - average people buy average stuff on supermarket, like bread. If it is sold everywhere by kg, they know it, mention it and buy it because neighbors did so too. Question is just - how pricy is your bread, but actually most of em does notice any difference.

Last edited by Vihmameister; 07-18-2014 at 10:47 PM.
07-18-2014, 05:41 AM   #80
Site Supporter

I'm a 50 year old male engineer (hardware, I'm a contractor on a secret government program). I realized I needed a camera
when my daughter was born (she is now 4). Having had my medical insurance gutted that year I ended up paying for her
about half out of pocket. So my budget for a camera was $200 or so. I accidently found a nice looking Pentax *ist It was only after this
that I found this site and quickly learned that Pentax is the way to go. Weather resistant, metal bodies, and world class lenses for 1/3 of what Nikon and Canon charge.

I'm now the proud owner of a K-5IIs and would not consider anything else except Pentax in the future for a "real" camera.
07-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I'm a 50 year old male engineer (hardware, I'm a contractor on a secret government program). I realized I needed a camera
when my daughter was born (she is now 4). Having had my medical insurance gutted that year I ended up paying for her
about half out of pocket. So my budget for a camera was $200 or so. I accidently found a nice looking Pentax *ist It was only after this
that I found this site and quickly learned that Pentax is the way to go. Weather resistant, metal bodies, and world class lenses for 1/3 of what Nikon and Canon charge.

I'm now the proud owner of a K-5IIs and would not consider anything else except Pentax in the future for a "real" camera.

Statisticly you are now 55 years old overhere. Lucky you, you stay 55 for a decade....
07-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #82

I wonder how many people did not click the correct age group?
07-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I wonder how many people did not click the correct age group?
Why would they do this? It's not a beauty contest. And from those who answer the poll, only a small part also post a comment, detailing their age.

07-18-2014, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

I'm now curious about the professional demographics. I didn't think there would be as many engineers on this board as have responded...I suppose we have more disposable income given our occupation, but we also tend to be frugal. Like how I get my clothes at charity shops but spend $300+ on makeup and $900+ on lenses since I consider the latter to have a better return-on-investment.
07-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #85
Kiwi Pentaxian

I'm now curious about the professional demographics. I didn't think there would be as many engineers on this board as have responded...I suppose we have more disposable income given our occupation, but we also tend to be frugal. Like how I get my clothes at charity shops but spend $300+ on makeup and $900+ on lenses since I consider the latter to have a better return-on-investment.
I will confess - another engineer , 49. I have used Pentax for 2 1/2 years now. So, from the small survey on the thread it is apparent that Pentax DSLR's appeal to engineers of various types. The price / performance / design / durability quotient is pretty much in the sweet spot - so that might be part of the reason.
07-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Engineers like well built things. I think compared to most other brands Pentax cameras are extremely well built so it's not really a surprise to me that a lot engineers would go for the brand. But Pentax gear appeals to a lot of people. We have soldiers on here who use Pentax gear out in the field. Pro photographers, like me, who use it. There's a couple of teachers on here. Many more people doing a lot of different things.

My experience is that a lot of younger people don't hang out on discussion boards like this anymore. They have other types of social media that they are more into. I daresay as older people a lot of us have more free time than some of the younger crowd too and they are used to boards like this. I don't really think this board or the survey accurately reflects the Pentax user base as a whole. Look at the pics of people with their Pentax gear on Google, Flickr, and you will see a lot of young faces. It's not the brand. It's the board. Younger people they just don't hang out so much on boards.

They blog more now, Twitter, instagram, Pinterest, more. I'm sure there are dozens of things like that that I'm not mentioning, but it's true. It's not the gear that's for old folks, it's this board and the older people who are on it. Kids in their teens and 20's they just don't want to hang doing this. They'd rather be typing at each other via phone...
07-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Yes.. engineers...., we are all over this forum (I'm another one) - we appreciate practical design, build quality and value.

I remember there was another discussion so time ago around here that Pentaxians seemed to have a fondness for Subaru cars practical, well built, good value -- not so stylish tho

About the clothes , I'm pretty sure I spend less on clothes in a year than my wife does on dry cleaning. My clothes are practical, good value, not so stylish.
07-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #88
Site Supporter

I'm a former engineer too although I have been lucky to have a couple of other careers during my working life including 10 years at a college in the UK and a number of years as a technical writer/technical illustrator where I used my Pentax Spotmatic II and later a K-1000 to capture shots I needed for technical manuals.

Re. clothing I guess I have the engineer's mentality there too as I still have clothes that I brought with me when I emigrated to Canada almost 22 years ago (and they still fit!)
07-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #89
Pentaxian

Oh damn... I'm going to be studying Physics at university... Does this mean I'll be an engineer as well?
07-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Have used and owned Pentax equipment....without let up.... since I was 19. I'm 65 now.

When I first started I was an integral part of the youth market. When I look at Ron's demographic age chart....I think Pentax needs to cultivate and grow their youth market....now.