Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What age group are you in?
Under 20 years 111.99%
20-29 6712.12%
30-39 9417.00%
40-49 13724.77%
50-59 12823.15%
60-69 9116.46%
70 and above 254.52%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
53, Domestic Engineer, lol, as for clothes.... Am the same size I was in high school, no Subaru....Jeep, I learned photography on a K1000 in the early 80's, later I couldn't afford to buy a digital so made do with my husband's camera.... Unfun. I saved up and did my research and bought the K3, then lenses. I want two more lenses... Sheesh...it won't stop will it?

07-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
When interested in statistics, the worldbank has lots of them. If you find a way to determine wich camera to put in wich market, that would be awesome.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/GC.BAL.CASH.GD.ZS/countries/1W-EU-CN-US?display=map
07-20-2014, 05:05 AM   #93

I'm 33 and started with Pentax with a K100D

I'm still here with a K5ii and now a Q7 and original Q.

I feel Pentax's lack of uptake in the younger markets is purely down to marketing and the lack of "sexy" point and shoots. Let's face it most younger people move from camera phone to p&s and p&s to dslr and without a nice stepping stone the brand is rarely picked up as a first dslr.

And to that same point as a person with a child and another on the way I was looking for a good compact camera as carrying an slr and glass with kids is difficult and it was actually difficult for me to choose pentax as there isn't much that's great in that range. I ended up with Pentax Q but I don't think this is the best mirrorless camera made for the money but it's pentax and I know how to navigate menus etc.

My 2 cents!!

Mike
07-20-2014, 05:42 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
53, Domestic Engineer, lol, as for clothes.... Am the same size I was in high school, no Subaru....Jeep, I learned photography on a K1000 in the early 80's, later I couldn't afford to buy a digital so made do with my husband's camera.... Unfun. I saved up and did my research and bought the K3, then lenses. I want two more lenses... Sheesh...it won't stop will it?
Probably not, at least until you run out of lenses you want to buy, even the ones you couldn't quite justify, then you start thinking about the ones you couldn't possibly afford, at which point you know you're in trouble…

Fun, though.

07-22-2014, 03:43 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Well here comes the proof that if your sample is of sufficient size there is no point in adding new data.

I am 39yro electronics engineer. My first Pentax was K100DS in 2007.

As my father was (not so much) a photo enthusiast (as a technology hoarder-hamster) we always had a 'proper' camera in house, first a Practica, then a Pentacon (without the prism, I still remember the infantile joy of looking directly into mirror when taking photos as a kid) and finally a mid-eighties waterproof Nicon (which my father obviously needed as a pro diver). Even though I never was particularly interested in photography, and spent my college years not caring what kind of camera was around (if at all) to record the good times, I always had a clear idea of what 'the' camera should look like.

So after a couple of P&S in early 2000s and when the price&performance were finally acceptable, I bought the cheapest DSLR that looked right.
07-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

Just checked in for the 70+ cohort. Photography was absolutely out of reach for me when it required locking oneself up in a small, dark room with chemicals Digital came of age more or less at the same time I retired (as a university registrar). I went with Pentax in the form of a K100D (in-camera SR was the clincher) and never looked back. I know there are other systems out there but I'm not a gear-head and don't have time to waste looking over the fence at the other guy's grass (besides I'm kinda heavily invested in k-mount lenses )
07-22-2014, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Probably not, at least until you run out of lenses you want to buy, even the ones you couldn't quite justify, then you start thinking about the ones you couldn't possibly afford, at which point you know you're in trouble…

Fun, though.
I want to do both and as for the ones I can't afford...like the 500mm...even if I don't use it much if I set it up in the front yard I could just sit and watch people get all nervous when they walk past my house
07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #98

53, Domestic Engineer, lol, . . . . . . . .
Good work when you can get it. Well I guess the pay kinda sucks.

But I bet the rewards are the best of any "profession".

. . . . . . . as for clothes.... Am the same size I was in high school, . . . . . . .
When I left high school and went to college I was about 6 feet tall and weighed about 120 lbs.

Now I am crowding the dickens out of 60 and am 5' 10" and weigh 210. I have always been active, hiking, skiing, working hard in jobs that are physically demanding, yet the pounds have piled on.

What happened?

. . . . . . . . no Subaru....Jeep, . . . . . . . .
Jeep is good.

. . . . . . . . later I couldn't afford to buy a digital so made do with my husband's camera.... Unfun.
It is tough to share stuff. I gave Mrs. Racer an Optio W30 after she declined to accept my *isiDL when I moved to the K10. Something about complexity vs simplicity.

So the camera with the funny name sits on the shelf, awaiting someone to pick it up and bring its image sensor back to life once more.

I saved up and did my research and bought the K3, then lenses.
A K3? The hociR has seduced you with its livE song!

I want two more lenses... Sheesh...it won't stop will it?
Never.

I want to do both and as for the ones I can't afford...like the 500mm...even if I don't use it much if I set it up in the front yard I could just sit and watch people get all nervous when they walk past my house
Nice.

I like it.

Gonna get my biggest lens out right now and do just that!

07-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #99
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Good work when you can get it. Well I guess the pay kinda sucks.

But I bet the rewards are the best of any "profession".

Domestic engineer rolled over into the Private Home Health, I fill in the gaps when families need someone a few hrs a day or week and then House Cleaning (as in for the elderly OCD/Hoarder situations) or when people have a lot of pets. This gets insanely interesting at times.

When I left high school and went to college I was about 6 feet tall and weighed about 120 lbs.

Now I am crowding the dickens out of 60 and am 5' 10" and weigh 210. I have always been active, hiking, skiing, working hard in jobs that are physically demanding, yet the pounds have piled on.

What happened?

Jeep is good.

Yes! Wrangler is fantastic, lots of room for the K3.

It is tough to share stuff. I gave Mrs. Racer an Optio W30 after she declined to accept my *isiDL when I moved to the K10. Something about complexity vs simplicity.

So the camera with the funny name sits on the shelf, awaiting someone to pick it up and bring its image sensor back to life once more.

My husband's Olumpus C 8080 is like that now but I have to say it is old and had not been treated nicely and still works. I recently had to glue a lens hood by the threads to the lens to keep the edging around the lens from chipping off any more than it had, eek the lens would probably fall out. It rests silently in a new camera bag.... Waiting.

A K3? The hociR has seduced you with its livE song!

And what a lovely siren song it is...

Never.

Nice.

I like it.

Gonna get my biggest lens out right now and do just that!
Someday... I have something bigger than the 55-300
07-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well we are around 48 years of age at average. We probably like good goods better then disposale ones. We should have a little more cash then on average, but somehow we have an image of being El Cheapo. We are not so much influenced by advertising anymore, wich makes it strange why we want more advertising. We are around 20 % more experienced in life then average for Western modern country's. On the other hand it is still 20+ years before we serious wil be extinct from old age.

The biggest problem for Ricoh Images would be that in 10 years time we would have an average age of 55+ if the population isn't growing with younger people.
07-26-2014, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #101
Forum Member

Hi
I started with pentax around the early 1980s I am a plater/welder so
Engineer related as for age I am 40.6 with a aps-c crop factor
Neil
08-06-2014, 05:12 AM   #102

I started with Pentax in the early 1980's with an ME Super with the (fantastic) F1.8 50mm kit lens and a Tamron 70-210 zoom, later I added a Tamron 28-80 zoom as a walk around lens, and a Tamron 500 mm mirror lens. I used that gear right up until the early 2000's (- pretty much criss crossed the globe with it!) when i bought a digital P&S, loved digital, but hated the lack of control. Finaly in 2011 bought a Kr and fell in love with SLR photography all over again. Some more (modern) Pentax and Tamron lenses have since joined the fold, and an original Q, but I still have my old ME Super and manual lenses and they still work superbly. Occasionally I get them out and put them on the Kr or Q for a bit of fun and marvel at the solid construction, and beautiful engineering. I guess I'll just stay with Pentax gear now, why change, they are like old friends, that have pretty much documented most of my adult life. My Canon using wife just doesn't understand.... - yes I'm in a mixed marriage.
08-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmar Quote
I'm in a mixed marriage.
Brave man!
08-06-2014, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #104

It gets worse, not only is she a Canon user (but to her credit has always been one) but the city in Australia where we come from is bisected by a river and is virtually two cities in constant competition. I come from the North and she from the South. It's the US equivalent of someone from NY marrying someone from NJ
08-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #105
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmar Quote
I started with Pentax in the early 1980's with an ME Super with the (fantastic) F1.8 50mm kit lens and a Tamron 70-210 zoom, later I added a Tamron 28-80 zoom as a walk around lens, and a Tamron 500 mm mirror lens. I used that gear right up until the early 2000's (- pretty much criss crossed the globe with it!) when i bought a digital P&S, loved digital, but hated the lack of control. Finaly in 2011 bought a Kr and fell in love with SLR photography all over again. Some more (modern) Pentax and Tamron lenses have since joined the fold, and an original Q, but I still have my old ME Super and manual lenses and they still work superbly. Occasionally I get them out and put them on the Kr or Q for a bit of fun and marvel at the solid construction, and beautiful engineering. I guess I'll just stay with Pentax gear now, why change, they are like old friends, that have pretty much documented most of my adult life. My Canon using wife just doesn't understand.... - yes I'm in a mixed marriage.
My husband doesn't understand camera anything he won't or don't even use the camera on his phone he tries to get me to take pics of phone numbers on 'for sale signs' and such so he doesn't have to write it down... Lol, guess he tries to photograph vicariously through me. And by the way since the K3 is such a handsome camera I named mine Spencer.