Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What age group are you in?
Under 20 years 111.99%
20-29 6712.12%
30-39 9417.00%
40-49 13724.77%
50-59 12823.15%
60-69 9116.46%
70 and above 254.52%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #106

Photos: Gallery
Had to chime in on the engineer theme, though my path is a bit bent, (i'm now right in the middle of that grey line)
Started out with my dad's Spotmatic in high school, then got an MX for graduation, followed by an ME(SE), several M lenses, and an LX, Still can get my hands on all that gear except the ME, sold it for a view camera lens, wish I still had the ME. Worked for Ritz Camera in the DC area, and Brooks Camera in the SF Bay area before college.

Went to Brooks institute in Santa Barbara, (June '81 Grad). Worked as a photographer in aerospace (working for engineers), always had company cameras to use, Nikons, Hasselblads, Rolleis, Bronicas, Mavica Still Video
Some view camera work with old Calumets and Graphics. Lots of the work was in the lab producing presentation material, print hand-outs, slides, and overhead transparencies.

Never used Pentaxes for work. Still have a Mamiya 645 system and two 4x5 cameras (Toyo View, and Linhof Technica IV) packed away, married a photographer, she got a wardrobe to share, I got some more cameras, A Rollicord, Yashicamat 124, and some other odds & ends.

Realized the world was changing for getting paid to take pictures when the engineers I was working for were getting these neat little boxes they could plug into their desktop computers and get photos out of (about 1990 or so). Hard to call those early things cameras. Saw the writing on the wall early, and for other reasons too, went back to school and earned a Civil Engineering degree. Now I engineer by day and photo when I can.

Got to admit the camera budget is a bit better now, despite a family & house to support, there is still reasonable budget for LBA, wife and son get my hand my down bodies (CBA too, now 4 dslrs). I carry a K3 and 18-135 most everywhere, try to force myself to shoot something every day, mostly filling up hard drives, but some gems pop out now and then.

I've handled some friends Nikons and Canons, full frames and APS-Cs, have not really worked with them, but they just don't feel right, When I first got a *ist-DS, it just felt right, my wife still prefers it, I try to get her to use our K5, especially when she needs low-light capability, she likes the way the *ist-DS feels. And we still get good results from it.

Lots of these other comments make me feel like we are all peas in the same pod,

08-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel this thread is perhaps more representative of the average forum age then a Pentax owner.

Site Admin, what percentage of users registered are from non western (US/UK/AU/EU) ip ranges. And what percentage do we account for in Global Pentax sales?

Exactly. :P
08-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #108
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
If we're looking at demographics, I'd also be curious about the percentage of men versus women.
I was wondering that myself, I know only 2 women using a DSLR and they use Canon, can't get either canon ladies to shoot with me and everyone else is using phone cameras, and no men I know use DSLRs. So my convo's with them are void of any camera speak.... Lol, Ex: "No I don't need to go clothes shopping...." , "No I didn't go to the shoe sale..., but I bought a new lens and Topaz Denoise!" My friends: ???Huh?.
08-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #109
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
"No I don't need to go clothes shopping...." , "No I didn't go to the shoe sale..., but I bought a new lens and Topaz Denoise!" My friends
Good job you've got us, we understand your pain.

08-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #110
Pentaxian

"No I didn't go to the shoe sale..., but I bought a new lens and Topaz Denoise!" My friends: ???Huh?.
They didn't think "Topaz Denoise" was some fancy kind of jewelry or perfume?
08-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #111
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
They didn't think "Topaz Denoise" was some fancy kind of jewelry or perfume?
It would be the only fancy perfume I have....lol, and yes they probably would think that...And side note one of my friends described using a real camera as "Archaic" photography.
08-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #112
Pentaxian

so the dominant age group is 40-49 and 50-59... I guess they caught on the glory days of Pentax, which is why they recognize the brand readily and with much fervor. The 60's to 70's were also a real colorful part of history in terms of pop culture.
08-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #113
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I think the 20-29 category will be much less because if you were like me (especially now) you were broke during that time frame. Much less ability to drop cash on cameras and lenses and all that.
How true! And for several years later, buying a house, cars, kids, etc, all came ahead of photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
so the dominant age group is 40-49 and 50-59... I guess they caught on the glory days of Pentax, which is why they recognize the brand readily and with much fervor. The 60's to 70's were also a real colorful part of history in terms of pop culture.
I recently got into the next group above those you mentioned, but I've only been a Pentaxian for 5 years. I'm just guilty of lots of research before I drop the cash. When I started researching I was leaning toward Nikon, with maybe Canon and Minolta in the mix. The research of things that mattered to me (not reviewers or marketers) all pointed to Pentax, I really didn't know their past glory.

08-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #114
Pentaxian

It would be the only fancy perfume I have....lol, and yes they probably would think that...And side note one of my friends described using a real camera as "Archaic" photography.
'Archaic' photography? Not film, DSLRs? Wow.

BTW, I started a new thread with a poll on gender balance.
08-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #115
Site Supporter

49 and sticking to it.
08-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #116
Veteran Member

This demographic - current age wise ownership - is not very accurate. It should factor in the age at which you started using Pentax.
Just my 2-cents.
Regards.
nanhi
camp: Thornhill, Ontario
08-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
This demographic - current age wise ownership - is not very accurate. It should factor in the age at which you started using Pentax.
Just my 2-cents.
Regards.
nanhi
Current age: 19
Bought a Pentax when: 18
08-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #118
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Just my 2-cents.
Regards.
nanhi
That is a different question, namely about brand loyalty. Also very important.
08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #119
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
namely about brand loyalty
Sometimes known as mule-headed stubbornness.
08-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sometimes known as mule-headed stubbornness.
That could also sometimes be the case. Nevertheless it is very important to keep your customers with you since it is far more expensive to attracked new ones.