Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A 2nd body to share between us (a K-3 and a K-30 owner)

Last weekend, Mr frogoutofwater and I headed out of town for a weekend that was supposed to include a lot of photography. I'm the keener photographer between us but he certainly was looking forward to the photographic adventure. Unfortunately, his camera (a K-30) suddenly experienced a major problem and he couldn't get it to work (except in bulb and video modes) for the entire weekend. Luckily, the weekend for him was redeemed by a glorious 16-mile trail run on Sunday morning, so we both came home relatively happy.

But the experience did make me realize that it probably would be a good idea to pick up a second camera body so that we have a back-up if there is a camera failure on a trip like this. Although I have a Sony NEX system, I don't think it makes a lot of sense to take a completely different system with me on a trip. If we take an extra Pentax body, then our lens line-up and flashes will work. Ideally, it will use the same battery system as one or the other camera system.

Does anyone have a suggestion about which body we should pick up? I was thinking of either the K-50 (very similar to his existing K-30) or the K-5 IIs. The K-50 seems like a better option budget-wise, but assuming that Mr frogoutofwater's camera recovers from the flu it caught over the weekend, maybe it would make more sense to upgrade Mr frogoutofwater to a K-5 IIs and then make the old K-30 the back-up.

07-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Wow, I cannot imagine how frustrated I would be in his case. Fortunately, you said it would still work in bulb mode, so I guess he still could take pictures.
If he is decided to go for a 2nd body, I would keep it in Pentax mount, for weight and space reduction. Better to carry 1 more body than body+lenses+chargers.
If it were me, I would buy a new K-5iis and keep the K-30 (if it recovers from the flu, as you said). I have the K-5ii and that is an awesome camera! I came from a K-30 and a previous K-x and now my sister's K-30 looks almost like child toy for me. I loved the K-30, but the K-5ii is in a higher level
Or, if he can afford a K-3, that would be even better. Just not sure if the price difference makes sense in his case.

PS: I did and still have a problem with my White K-x that only works in Manual and Video modes with lenses with Aperture ring (haven't tried Bulb mode). I used it for 1,5 year until I had the chance to buy a new body, which was a brand-new K-30. In the meanwhile, I got myself a bunch of old and vintage lenses with Aperture ring. I haven't fixed the camera yet (no spare parts...), but it is my 2nd body now, just in case.

---------- Post added 07-21-2014 at 03:19 PM ----------

Just one more point: the K-5 series uses a different battery from the K-30 (D-LI90, instead of the D-LI109). If this matters, the K-50 is selling for a great price right now!
07-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Since you've already have two decent bodies in the household, maybe you could consider an older one (it's a backup after all) like a K5 or even a K7 if you want to go the higher end way. A K-r is still very acceptable as a backup unit if you want to go the low/mid range way. That's if you want to save a few $$$. If money is no issue get another K3 or a K5iis.

Going with a higher end body makes a bit more sense IMO since if in the future you are planning to upgrade the K-30, you will more than likely go with a K3 (or it's replacement) which will probably use the same battery as the K7/K5/K5ii/K3. One less charger to carry and a whole whack less batteries to buy.

It all comes down to a question of money. You can't really go wrong with any options.

Personally, the route I chose was the upgrade way; Kr alone, then K5 + Kr, then K5 + K7 (for the sakes of using the same battery), then K3 + K5. In the future it'll be K? + K3. Since I couldn't afford the K3 when it came out, I opted for a $200 K7 as a stop-gap backup. It is still very capable and I didn't break the bank for a body I didn't really use at all.

So long story short, I would get the cheapest acceptable body I could find (K7 or K5) as a backup until I could afford to upgrade the K-30 to a K3 or a K5iis and then I'd get rid of the K-30. You'd end up with a K3, a K5iis, and a K5 (or K7), all using the same batteries. You'd have top LCD, mirror lock-up and 14bits RAW files on all your bodies.
07-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Going with a higher end body makes a bit more sense IMO since if in the future you are planning to upgrade the K-30, you will more than likely go with a K3 (or it's replacement) which will probably use the same battery as the K7/K5/K5ii/K3. One less charger to carry and a whole whack less batteries to buy.
Agree with this 100%, I have k-3 and the Mrs. has k-5IIs, so much easier to only have to carry one charger and all the same batteries.

As a pure backup camera do not neglect the K-01. Takes up less space in the bag, uses same battery as k-3/k-5 and is the least expensive body to do so.

There is both a k-5 and a k-01 on the marketplace right now. (shameless plug )

07-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Agree with this 100%, I have k-3 and the Mrs. has k-5IIs, so much easier to only have to carry one charger and all the same batteries.

As a pure backup camera do not neglect the K-01. Takes up less space in the bag, uses same battery as k-3/k-5 and is the least expensive body to do so.

There is both a k-5 and a k-01 on the marketplace right now. (shameless plug )
Yup, this sounds like a job for the K-01!
07-24-2014, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I decided to splurge (for Mr frogoutofwater, who is getting more serious about photography) and bought him the K-5IIs. The K-30 will become our back-up (assuming that we can cure whatever ails it).