Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #1

Front&Rear e-dials

K20D is my first DSLR, and my first camera with e-dials (previously used MZ-3).
Since the aperture is part of the lens in front of the camera, and shutter is physically placed near the chip/film (of course talking about dSLRs), my intuition tries to tell me that front e-dial should change apreture and rear e-dial should change shutter speed. But the default setting is just the opposite.
So my question is - is this some "standard", or does each brand (or even model) use its own (default) assignment of e-dials ? If it is standard, I would better stick with it instead of redefining it in menu.

(Likewise, I use standard assignment of mouse buttons althought I am left-handed. And what I hate the most on computers is that our national keyboard layout is qwertz, while "programmers" layout is qwerty - in the past I used only qwerty, but recently I had to use both and constant swithing and lot of typos lowered my writing speed to half.)

05-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think its standard to an extent. canon's shutter speed is controlled by the front dial while the aperture is controlled by the wheel on the back (not really a dial). Tooling around with a D300, the front and rear e dials I believe control the shutter and aperture respectively. Although, at least with the display model, Nikon's meter was backwards. over exposed to the left and under exposed to the right.
customize it to however your comfortable.
05-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I think most cameras that are "fancy" enough to have dual control will also be fancy enough to allow you to customize what they do. Set it to what feels natural to you.
05-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had the same problem you're having when I first switched from my silver based cameras (I won't say what make because my wife doesn't like when I swear) but I got used to it in a few short week and it is now second nature, but , from a logicakl point of view, it seems it would make more sense having the front e-dial set for aperture operation, instead of the other way around. You can change it on the K10D-K20D, but I didn't because I wanted to keep these e-dials the same for as many modes as possible to avoid confusion when switching modes.

05-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I felt the same way at first. you get used to it though, and having them that way keeps the available setting consistent across modes. IE rear is alway aperture when available. I changed them up at first but found my controls all over the place when I changed modes. FWIW the layout of the dials matches the layout of the top LCD screen Time on top aperture on the bottom. Not sure why it was done like that in the first place though.