Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
i bought this one and works great.2 minute job and does wonders
Eyelead Dust-sticking sensor cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
+1 on EyeLead.

EyeLead is now my favorite solution after a tepid experience using VisibleDust products.

YMMV

Michael

07-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I see the Pentax sticky stick is $60. Anyone use a 3rd party one that cost less
It's only $44.95 at Adorama with free shipping. That's where I bought mine three or four years back (I think it was the same price then), and I am COMPLETELY SATISFIED with it.

It's great. I almost never have to use it -- shaker, then rocket blower, then (rarely) soft brush have worked fine for 99% of my dust problems. But every now and then something grabs hold of the sensor and doesn't want to let go.

Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357
07-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It's only $44.95 at Adorama with free shipping. That's where I bought mine three or four years back (I think it was the same price then), and I am COMPLETELY SATISFIED with it.

It's great. I almost never have to use it -- shaker, then rocket blower, then (rarely) soft brush have worked fine for 99% of my dust problems. But every now and then something grabs hold of the sensor and doesn't want to let go.

Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357
That's reasonable for a Pentax one. I wish I had bought one before I started blowing with a rocket blower, because now I have dust debris up above the focus plate, which I'm confident the blower did that.
07-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
That's reasonable for a Pentax one. I wish I had bought one before I started blowing with a rocket blower, because now I have dust debris up above the focus plate, which I'm confident the blower did that.
Yeah, that can happen -- some dust around the focus screen is pretty much inevitable, but mostly harmless. If it gets really bad you can remove the focus screen and clean it, but it's possible to scratch it while doing that, so I usually just tolerate a bit of dust in there.

Despite this issue, I still think the rocket blower is the best strategy for sensor dust. I want to avoid touching the sensor unless absolutely necessary, even with the gummy stick.

07-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shameless plug -- The Pentax Forum main page has an article on sensor cleaning techniques (I wrote it, which is why this is a shameless plug.) Here's a link:

Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #21
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Yeah, that can happen -- some dust around the focus screen is pretty much inevitable, but mostly harmless. If it gets really bad you can remove the focus screen and clean it, but it's possible to scratch it while doing that, so I usually just tolerate a bit of dust in there.

Despite this issue, I still think the rocket blower is the best strategy for sensor dust. I want to avoid touching the sensor unless absolutely necessary, even with the gummy stick.
Yep, I actually paid a shop to drop my focus screen down and clean it. They did an excellent job. But it always seems to work it's way back above the focus screen for me - I think it is the rocket blower that does it. Like you, I've decided to just live with it - unless 50% of the focus screen is covered (LOL).

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Shameless plug -- The Pentax Forum main page has an article on sensor cleaning techniques (I wrote it, which is why this is a shameless plug.) Here's a link:

Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos
I watched the video and seen where if there's dust in the upper left of an image it's actually on the bottom right of the sensor. So I took the rocket blower and attacked the bottom right of my sensor. Whola, the stubborn dust is gone. Thanks !